Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4-door Badlands Bronco w/ Sasquatch package
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
https://www.arirobot.com/product/the-legend/

I decided to install a rear view camera mirror on the bronco because I have a spare tire platform that blocks the rear window when loaded.

I haven’t seen any reviews on this one here so thought I would post in case anyone is interested in this mirror.

The mirror can be paired with a programmable switch box that has 8 available spots: six 20 A outputs and two 40 A outputs. These switches are then controlled directly on the touch screen of the mirror.

installation is pretty simple. You need to order the #1 Universal Bracket and the mirror mounts right on the factory OEM mounting location

Ford Bronco Acumen The Legend Camera and Acumen Box install and review IMG_2994

There are 5 cords: Power, Rear Cam, Aux Cam, GPS, and Switch Box. (The forward facing dash cam is built in to the mirror itself). Wires are run along the top driver side and down the A pillar. It’s not too difficult to do, you just need to remove the grab handle and some trim pieces. You will also need to remove the two front hard top pieces to run the wires across.

Power cord has two fuses that were hardwired. I cut them off and connected them to fuse taps to plug into the fuse panel in the cabin under the steering wheel, connected to accessory and constant power.

The switch box is installed under the hood. I 3D printed some mounting plates to attach it to the top of the battery.

Ford Bronco Acumen The Legend Camera and Acumen Box install and review IMG_3038

The rear view camera I mounted on top of the 3rd brake light on my MetalCloak license plate.

Ford Bronco Acumen The Legend Camera and Acumen Box install and review IMG_3030
Ford Bronco Acumen The Legend Camera and Acumen Box install and review IMG_3031

Here are a couple photos to see the picture quality in bright sunlight and basically at night in a dark garage.

Ford Bronco Acumen The Legend Camera and Acumen Box install and review IMG_3206
Ford Bronco Acumen The Legend Camera and Acumen Box install and review IMG_3013

The Review:

I’ve been driving around with it for about a month now and I gotta say it’s been pretty freakin awesome. Your eyes need to adjust as it is not the same as using a mirror, but I would say it took maybe half an hour to an hour of driving to get used to focusing at a short range on the screen vs. Long range looking through a mirror.

My first road trip up to Lake Tahoe with it and I realized a couple issues that I needed to address. When snow or water gets on the camera, visibility is shot. I don’t have any videos from this time but I did make some alterations to prevent that from happening.

First thing I added Rain-X to the lens to prevent water from pooling. Second, I designed and 3D printed a cover that hangs over the top of the camera by a few millimeters to prevent water from falling on it. Third, I altered the design of the cover to attach a windshield washer sprayer to it to remove anything that gets stuck to the lens.

With 8 extra switches now, I had to think of ways to use them and here’s what it looks like.
Ford Bronco Acumen The Legend Camera and Acumen Box install and review IMG_3160

Ford Bronco Acumen The Legend Camera and Acumen Box install and review IMG_3200

I ordered some parts on aliexpress and fordoemparts and fabricated a small reservoir with a pump that is connected to the switch box. Now, if something is stuck on the camera, I can press a button and rinse it off.

Pros and cons:

Pros
  • visibility even when rear view is blocked
  • Dashcam and rear cam recording
  • Time lapse recording when vehicle is parked
  • 8 extra switches
  • Can be used as a regular mirror if needed
Cons
  • Visibility in rain or snow is poor (can be mitigated with different camera mounting position and alterations)
  • Rear view camera has bugged out twice, but a simple reset of the mirror fixed it
  • Not really a con, but it does take some time to adjust to using a screen vs. A mirror
  • Front camera is 60 Hz, rear camera is only 30 Hz
  • The Legend box can only be used with the mirror or The Legend Panel, not both
  • The regular mirror is not as clear as the OEM one

All in all, I would give it a 9/10. I love having a bigger mirror, with more visibility especially when the cargo area is loaded up. I’m docking a point for the 30 Hz camera in the rear, the few hiccups the software has had, and the lack of compatibility with the legend panel.

I tried to include some videos of the cameras recording but having issues right now. I will try to upload some in a following post

let me know if you have questions!

Sponsored

OP
OP

mvilla

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rain (after modifications):

Night:

PEGB

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eruption Green Badlands Sasquatch Hardtop 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Excellent job on the review and fantastic design/build. An exquisite example of the power of digital fabrication. Thank you for sharing, I found your project inspiring.

And I would add, you have the beginnings of an interesting product on your hands. I would pay for a plug and play washer for current back up camera. If there was a way to “T” off the factory hardtop window washer and snap a sprayer on the factory camera mount that would be amazing.

OP
OP

mvilla

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Excellent job on the review and fantastic design/build. An exquisite example of the power of digital fabrication. Thank you for sharing, I found your project inspiring.

And I would add, you have the beginnings of an interesting product on your hands. I would pay for a plug and play washer for current back up camera. If there was a way to “T” off the factory hardtop window washer and snap a sprayer on the factory camera mount that would be amazing.
Thank you and stay tuned! I am working on something 😉

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Agree.

Although my plan was to mount a camera on the interior surface of the glass behind the wiper swipe, so I didn't need to clear it so often. All cameras should have the wash option, IMO.
Sponsored