Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I see a lot of folks running the wires to the back by going down to the bottom of the car and then coming back up through the pillars. Why not just keep the wires up top and run the inside the plastic pieces along the top (left or right) side and back to the roll bar. I had to do something very similar when installing the mabbett rear cargo lights and it was a breeze. But I guess that would only work if you were attaching to the rollbar. If you are going to add it to the back glass, then it sounds like that method is needed.

Oh also for those of you who have attached their camera to the HT glass... What do you do when to take off the top? Did you add a quick disconnect somewhere in the wires so that you can decouple it?
Part of the reason not to run it along the top is to avoid the airbags that are in the side rollbar (upper pillar is also a roll bar). In contrast, there are no airbags in the bottom of those lower panels and they are super easy to pull off. Have you tried pulling some of those rollbar panels off yet? I think when you do, you will see what we mean. Also, if you run the wire on the outside, you still stand the chance of blocking the airbag partially if you ever needed it deployed....
Sponsored

rblock50

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Part of the reason not to run it along the top is to avoid the airbags that are in the side rollbar (upper pillar is also a roll bar). In contrast, there are no airbags in the bottom of those lower panels and they are super easy to pull off. Have you tried pulling some of those rollbar panels off yet? I think when you do, you will see what we mean. Also, if you run the wire on the outside, you still stand the chance of blocking the airbag partially if you ever needed it deployed....
Yeah, I've pulled them down a few times to do things and see what you mean. I have the Mabett wires already running back there, so I just decided to run my wires along the same path (on top of the airbag) and all should be good. I'll post some pictures later tonight.

rblock50

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks to this great thread (@Panzer948) , I was inspired to install the camera that I bought for our other car but never installed.

I finished my install (mostly) and I’m happy with how it came out - I just need to attach the rear camera which I’ll do tomorrow (but there wires are ran already and prepped.

I connected the Red and Yellow wires together (which normally would have been for the battery and accessories power) and created a tap to connect them to the back of the mirror. I did the same for the negative power too.

356BC33C-6F97-4340-A80B-79E14371E6F2.jpeg

Then I plugged them into the back of the housing for the mirror, where the existing white wire is positive and the black with purple is the negative connection.

366ECFAF-1550-4C2A-98A7-C9FA0A93E0B3.jpeg

I then ran the wire for the rear camera up where the current sheathed wires are going. I then fished out the wire from where the aux switches are. To pull that section down, just give it a slight tug and it comes down maybe 2 inches to get your hand or some needle-nose pliers in to grab the wire. You can see my hand on the top of the aux switches, that’s were I pulled down.

D2078408-DF31-4107-84ED-1D5E5FCA1C57.jpeg

99C6B751-30F9-402A-8472-DF968744464F.jpeg

I then ran the wire across the right front side, took the corner, and started running the wire back inside where the airbag covers are. I just used an 8mm socket to unscrew the 5 bolts, you could probably just use a trim tool as well to stuff the wires behind the plastic covers.

610D79B6-B9F4-4FD0-A71B-0E6BB486DC95.jpeg

I ran the wire all the down the side being sure to stay on top of the airbag. I already have the Mabett wires running there from the rear lights that I put in there a few months back. If you don’t have those yet, wow, they’re great!

I continued running the wires until I hit the rollbar, which I used my trim tool to poke the wires into, and as usual you can tug down on the plastic to get some extra room. I coiled up the extra length of the wire and for now just left the male end (which would plug into the rear camera) poking out so that I can grab it. I’ll install the rear camera maybe tomorrow and that should take all but 5 minutes since everything is connected and the wires and all set.

8EAC0941-83FB-4FEA-8F7B-6E7C1D7C928A.jpeg

I’m just worried the camera won’t stay attached to the roll bar very long. Has anyone found a solution, or is the 3M tape good enough?

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks to this great thread (@Panzer948) , I was inspired to install the camera that I bought for our other car but never installed.

I finished my install (mostly) and I’m happy with how it came out - I just need to attach the rear camera which I’ll do tomorrow (but there wires are ran already and prepped.

I connected the Red and Yellow wires together (which normally would have been for the battery and accessories power) and created a tap to connect them to the back of the mirror. I did the same for the negative power too.

356BC33C-6F97-4340-A80B-79E14371E6F2.jpeg

Then I plugged them into the back of the housing for the mirror, where the existing white wire is positive and the black with purple is the negative connection.

366ECFAF-1550-4C2A-98A7-C9FA0A93E0B3.jpeg

I then ran the wire for the rear camera up where the current sheathed wires are going. I then fished out the wire from where the aux switches are. To pull that section down, just give it a slight tug and it comes down maybe 2 inches to get your hand or some needle-nose pliers in to grab the wire. You can see my hand on the top of the aux switches, that’s were I pulled down.

D2078408-DF31-4107-84ED-1D5E5FCA1C57.jpeg

99C6B751-30F9-402A-8472-DF968744464F.jpeg

I then ran the wire across the right front side, took the corner, and started running the wire back inside where the airbag covers are. I just used an 8mm socket to unscrew the 5 bolts, you could probably just use a trim tool as well to stuff the wires behind the plastic covers.

610D79B6-B9F4-4FD0-A71B-0E6BB486DC95.jpeg

I ran the wire all the down the side being sure to stay on top of the airbag. I already have the Mabett wires running there from the rear lights that I put in there a few months back. If you don’t have those yet, wow, they’re great!

I continued running the wires until I hit the rollbar, which I used my trim tool to poke the wires into, and as usual you can tug down on the plastic to get some extra room. I coiled up the extra length of the wire and for now just left the male end (which would plug into the rear camera) poking out so that I can grab it. I’ll install the rear camera maybe tomorrow and that should take all but 5 minutes since everything is connected and the wires and all set.

8EAC0941-83FB-4FEA-8F7B-6E7C1D7C928A.jpeg

I’m just worried the camera won’t stay attached to the roll bar very long. Has anyone found a solution, or is the 3M tape good enough?
Very nice and what looks like a sound alternative. About your last question, I too had problems after problems with keeping this rear camera mounted. 3M tape will not stay attached (at least in my case) to that black textured plastic for very long. Even after thoroughly cleaning with alcohol. So I came up with a solution that may not be for everyone....

I found a piece of flat metal that was just big enough to cover the camera mount, painted it black, and epoxy glued it to the black car panel. 2 Part Epoxy is about as strong a glue you can get if you mix it right. 3M tape now sticks to the metal plate with no problems and I havent had a problem since. The piece of black metal really blends well under the back rollbar when camera is removed so I am not worried if I had to leave it behind if selling the car as I don't think most would notice something like that.

After I did this I thought of an alternative that would eliminate the 3M tape (if I ever do it again). That is buy one of those magnet phone mounts they sell and glue one end to the top of the car and the other to the camera mount. As a bonus they are usually already painted black. No 3M tape needed and its still an easy way to dismount, if not easier.

I know not all would be comfortable with these kind of mods but I tend to keep my cars for many many years and have modded them all to some extent or another. Once a car reaches a certain age, no one cares about those little things as long as you generally took good care of it, which most on this forum will. Hope that helps.

rblock50

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Very nice and what looks like a sound alternative. About your last question, I too had problems after problems with keeping this rear camera mounted. 3M tape will not stay attached (at least in my case) to that black textured plastic for very long. Even after thoroughly cleaning with alcohol. So I came up with a solution that may not be for everyone....

I found a piece of flat metal that was just big enough to cover the camera mount, painted it black, and epoxy glued it to the black car panel. 2 Part Epoxy is about as strong a glue you can get if you mix it right. 3M tape now sticks to the metal plate with no problems and I havent had a problem since. The piece of black metal really blends well under the back rollbar when camera is removed so I am not worried if I had to leave it behind if selling the car as I don't think most would notice something like that.

After I did this I thought of an alternative that would eliminate the 3M tape (if I ever do it again). That is buy one of those magnet phone mounts they sell and glue one end to the top of the car and the other to the camera mount. As a bonus they are usually already painted black. No 3M tape needed and its still an easy way to dismount, if not easier.

I know not all would be comfortable with these kind of mods but I tend to keep my cars for many many years and have modded them all to some extent or another. Once a car reaches a certain age, no one cares about those little things as long as you generally took good care of it, which most on this forum will. Hope that helps.
Oh I like that idea of the magnet and metal plate. I was hoping to find a kit that had both pieces, but all I can find is the metal plates and some sticky magnets. Did you find something complete to use?

Oh and anyone installing these, if your “Check Park Assist” light comes on, you have shorted out the connections behind the mirror and your power going to the camera or mirror won’t work. Ask me how I know haha. I crossed my streams checking the voltage on my connections and shorted it out, go figure.

When that happens, just replace the micro-fuse (yellow one) in slot #37 in the fuse block underneath the steering wheel and you’re back in business.
Sponsored