a.doba

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Can you please post pictures of the C1401/C1400 connectors in the engine bay and which wires/pins on the connectors to check if they are present ?

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bigmoose

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So unless you have high/lux you are not going to have the wires. You'll need to run the wire yourself to the door modules. Here is a pic of the passenger C140x connector.
Ford Bronco Added Puddle Lights to my Mid Package BD side mirrors! (Video added) IMG_0858

OP
OP
Bigmoose

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I were to do this again I would make two small changes.
1. Run the puddle ground wire out of the mirror to the engine bay and ground it to a bolt. This way you don’t need to cut/solder wires in the mirror.
2. Put in a connector for the power in the engine bay so if you ever have to remove the mirror you don’t need to cut the wire.

pbryan

Big Bend
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Did you remove the mirror shell in order to bolt the lights to it and run the wires? If so, any tips for removal? if not, how did you fish the wires and get nuts on the inside?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bigmoose

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you remove the mirror shell in order to bolt the lights to it and run the wires? If so, any tips for removal? if not, how did you fish the wires and get nuts on the inside?
I removed the shell. It just popped off with some trim tools.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wow. I love these. I saw some inexpensive ones on the Amazon that attached to the bottom of the doors, but my rails would block it. So this is a great solution but it's way past my skill level.

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I really like the functionality of puddle lights. However, this is locked behind the high package which was not available on my black diamond.

I started off with the lights. For these I went with Baja Designs Rock Lights. Right amount of light, right profile. I grabbed mine from Brad at TotalZParts.com
https://www.totalzparts.com/product/baja-designs-universal-white-clear-led-rock-light-398050/

I mounted the lights to the back shell/cap of the mirror. This required 3 small holes to be drilled, two for the lights bolts, one for the wire. I don't mind the wart look, others might. The only flush option would be high package mirrors at 10x the price.
Ford Bronco Added Puddle Lights to my Mid Package BD side mirrors! (Video added) IMG_0858

I tapped into an existing groudd wire in the mirror, and ran the power feed through the mirror into the engine bay.

Up next was to check out the wiring. While the wires for puddle lights were present at the C1401/C1400 connectors in the engine bay, they were missing at C258B/C259B which is what plugs into the door module itself under the dash.

I was able to find the proper female pin insert for the connector at mouser electronics, part#571-2035334-1. I also learned the connector is pretty tight so you need 20 or 22 ga wire. 18ga will not fit. The pin on both driver and passenger door modules is 258B/259B Pin#12 (top right corner pin as shown). The "B" connector is the one on the right without the 4 large 12ga wires and is gray in color.

The driver side was easier to access than the passenger side. Once the pins were inserted into the connector at the module I ran the wires into the engine bay and soldered them to my wires coming out of the mirror. The driver side has a nice easy firewall grommet for use. On the passenger side i ran up next to the glovebox and through the door jam by the hood hinge.

Lastly, I had to make the needed forscan modifications so it all worked seamlessly. Here were the modifications I made:

ModuleAddressValueNote
DDM740-04-0703xx-xxxx-xxyyEnable Puddle Lamp Driver Side
PDM741-04-0703xx-xxxx-xxyyEnable Puddle Lamp Passenger Side
DDM740-06-01xxxx-05xx-xxyySwitch pack power control #5
PDM741-06-01xxxx-05xx-xxyySwitch pack power control #5

I am not sure if the last two value changes are needed. I just noticed that high packages have this value field set to 05 so I did the same. "xx" are existing values not to change. "yy" is the field checksum that you don't need to care about as forscan will recalculate this for you.

That's it. Now anytime I unlock or open my doors these LEDs ramp up to a perfect brightness, then do a slow ramp down after locking or closing the door after a period of time.

The video shows some judder on ramp down, that's just the camera. It looks smooth in person.
this is exactally what I wanted to do to my Base. On my first search: BAM - your amazing post came up.
THANK YOU
*You did it the correct way!!!
**You made a great post, very imformatie and inspiring!
*** I dont know if I could replicate what you did without more pictures....

I have read this over and over - and looks like you are pulling out that top right wire from the loom, snipping it, and tapping into it for power for the light?
I will keep reading and trying to understand, I need a Guide for Dummies / IKEA manual step by step with photos....

ANYWAY - THANK YOU!! INSPIRATION!!!

OP
OP
Bigmoose

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

this is exactally what I wanted to do to my Base. On my first search: BAM - your amazing post came up.
THANK YOU
*You did it the correct way!!!
**You made a great post, very imformatie and inspiring!
*** I dont know if I could replicate what you did without more pictures....

I have read this over and over - and looks like you are pulling out that top right wire from the loom, snipping it, and tapping into it for power for the light?
I will keep reading and trying to understand, I need a Guide for Dummies / IKEA manual step by step with photos....

ANYWAY - THANK YOU!! INSPIRATION!!!
No. I don’t touch any wires in the loom. I run a new wire from the door module to the mirror.

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I really like the functionality of puddle lights. However, this is locked behind the high package which was not available on my black diamond.

I started off with the lights. For these I went with Baja Designs Rock Lights. Right amount of light, right profile. I grabbed mine from Brad at TotalZParts.com
https://www.totalzparts.com/product/baja-designs-universal-white-clear-led-rock-light-398050/

I mounted the lights to the back shell/cap of the mirror. This required 3 small holes to be drilled, two for the lights bolts, one for the wire. I don't mind the wart look, others might. The only flush option would be high package mirrors at 10x the price.

I tapped into an existing groudd wire in the mirror, and ran the power feed through the mirror into the engine bay.

Up next was to check out the wiring. While the wires for puddle lights were present at the C1401/C1400 connectors in the engine bay, they were missing at C258B/C259B which is what plugs into the door module itself under the dash.

I was able to find the proper female pin insert for the connector at mouser electronics, part#571-2035334-1. I also learned the connector is pretty tight so you need 20 or 22 ga wire. 18ga will not fit. The pin on both driver and passenger door modules is 258B/259B Pin#12 (top right corner pin as shown). The "B" connector is the one on the right without the 4 large 12ga wires and is gray in color.

The driver side was easier to access than the passenger side. Once the pins were inserted into the connector at the module I ran the wires into the engine bay and soldered them to my wires coming out of the mirror. The driver side has a nice easy firewall grommet for use. On the passenger side i ran up next to the glovebox and through the door jam by the hood hinge.

Lastly, I had to make the needed forscan modifications so it all worked seamlessly. Here were the modifications I made:

ModuleAddressValueNote
DDM740-04-0703xx-xxxx-xxyyEnable Puddle Lamp Driver Side
PDM741-04-0703xx-xxxx-xxyyEnable Puddle Lamp Passenger Side
DDM740-06-01xxxx-05xx-xxyySwitch pack power control #5
PDM741-06-01xxxx-05xx-xxyySwitch pack power control #5

I am not sure if the last two value changes are needed. I just noticed that high packages have this value field set to 05 so I did the same. "xx" are existing values not to change. "yy" is the field checksum that you don't need to care about as forscan will recalculate this for you.

That's it. Now anytime I unlock or open my doors these LEDs ramp up to a perfect brightness, then do a slow ramp down after locking or closing the door after a period of time.

The video shows some judder on ramp down, that's just the camera. It looks smooth in person.
Question: How many more could I run off the same power supply lines you used, say one in front and back under the vehicle? I would definately do something stupid and connect 4 then cause fuse/wattage/voltage problems....
Bonus question: Can I piggy-back these little LEDs off existing cargo area lighting? WIthout causing fuse/wattage/voltage problems....
THANK YOU

*** Now I am anticipating your next project (to copy) - I like the way you think!

Sponsored

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

No. I don’t touch any wires in the loom. I run a new wire from the door module to the mirror.
ok - i misunderstood.
I saw this pic and it looked like you cut an existing wire coming out of the connector then spliced into it.

Screenshot 2022-11-11 083920.jpg

OP
OP
Bigmoose

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Question: How many more could I run off the same power supply lines you used, say one in front and back under the vehicle? I would definately do something stupid and connect 4 then cause fuse/wattage/voltage problems....
Bonus question: Can I piggy-back these little LEDs off existing cargo area lighting? WIthout causing fuse/wattage/voltage problems....
THANK YOU

*** Now I am anticipating your next project (to copy) - I like the way you think!
I don’t know the current limits unfortunately. I considered adding ones in the rear as well

if anything you could use the door module signal to trigger a relay. However you might lose the ramped on/off.

I just traded my BD for a Lux badlands so not sure what my next projects will be. This thing has everything.

OP
OP
Bigmoose

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ok - i misunderstood.
I saw this pic and it looked like you cut an existing wire coming out of the connector then spliced into it.

Ford Bronco Added Puddle Lights to my Mid Package BD side mirrors! (Video added) Screenshot 2022-11-11 083920
Wicked delayed response. Somehow missed this.
So its all new. The blue wire with white stripe i pulled from some old harness i had since i needed a small enough gauge to fit in the connector. I didn’t have enough of that wire to reach the lights so i extended it with the slightly larger solid blue.
Nothing was removed from the existing harness.

searcybronco

Big Bend
First Name
wILL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am going to attempt this mod as well. I have a couple of questions I hope you can help with.
What was the ground or color of the wire in the mirror. Where did you run the + wire from the lights? Was it to that pin location on the module? Is the connector the one I have circled that
I'll insert the pin in? Is there only one empty location or is there a position it goes in on that connector. Awesome job by the way. I think I am going to try the puddle lights from Oracle. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Bigmoose

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am going to attempt this mod as well. I have a couple of questions I hope you can help with.
What was the ground or color of the wire in the mirror. Where did you run the + wire from the lights? Was it to that pin location on the module? Is the connector the one I have circled that
I'll insert the pin in? Is there only one empty location or is there a position it goes in on that connector. Awesome job by the way. I think I am going to try the puddle lights from Oracle. Thanks in advance.
I don’t remember the color of the ground in the mirror. I do know it was NOT black. It might have been pink. Either way i do NOT recommend connecting to ground in the mirror. Run the two wires from the light out of the mirror to the engine bay. Connect to ground there. Continue the positive run into the cab to the door module connector pin location. If you want to make service of the mirror easier in the future i would add a two pin connector inline in the engine bay so you can easily disconnect the puddle in case you need to remove the mirror assembly.

There is a specific pin # as noted and pictured. There are other open spots so its not as simple as using the “open” one.
Sponsored