Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm getting mine built without a towing package. Has anyone had the 7 pin factory wiring harness installed after delivery, so that it integrates with existing electronics. I'm trying to avoid an aftermarket break controller. Tell me the details please.
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

TroutTrooper

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Fiesta ST, 2001 Jeep Wrangler, 1988 Ranger (SVO swap), 1974 Super Beetle
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So Lumen just released a 7-pin tow harness kit 2-3 months ago, and it is sold via Ford Accessories. No personal experience with it, but I read the instructions and it seems to a near-factory-like replacement as it plugs into the same harnesses in the same locations that the factory tow module uses.

https://accessories.ford.com/products/trailer-hitch-wiring-harness-4-7-pin-by-lumen
I ordered the Lumen kit last month. So far all Ford has sent me is a few emails telling me it's on backorder.

Sponsored

jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜16 Explorer, ā€˜13 F150, ā€˜99 F350, '74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜16 Explorer, ā€˜13 F150, ā€˜99 F350, '74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm getting mine built without a towing package. Has anyone had the 7 pin factory wiring harness installed after delivery, so that it integrates with existing electronics. I'm trying to avoid an aftermarket break controller. Tell me the details please.
Go to this thread and scroll down to post #23 where I laid it out for you. Even with tow package from the factory there is not a brake controller, only the 7 pin plug and receiver hitch. This Redarc brake controller is what you receive when you order from Ford accessories.
FORD ACCESSORY BRAKE CONTROLLER INSTALL MADE EASY.! | Page 2 | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco & Bronco Raptor Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community

Last edited:

BroncRider

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BaseSquatch 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
I ordered the Lumen kit last month. So far all Ford has sent me is a few emails telling me it's on backorder.
I ordered mine a week ago and it arrived 3 days ago šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø.Working on the installation today.
I had the ford 4-pin harness on order but had waited a month and it was still back ordered. Saw this 4/7 pin from lumen was out so switched my order over. Guess I got lucky.

TroutTrooper

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Fiesta ST, 2001 Jeep Wrangler, 1988 Ranger (SVO swap), 1974 Super Beetle
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I ordered mine a week ago and it arrived 3 days ago šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø.Working on the installation today.
I had the ford 4-pin harness on order but had waited a month and it was still back ordered. Saw this 4/7 pin from lumen was out so switched my order over. Guess I got lucky.
that70s-show-oh-is-that-what-were-gonna-do-today.gif

BroncRider

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BaseSquatch 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Install is done. It was a bit of a pain, but it is a nice clean install. The instructions leave a little to be desired, had to do a lot of head scratching.
The worst part was the wire harness doesnā€™t have the right terminals to fit the existing plug. I toyed with it for an hour and a half before remembering there splices and 4ā€ wire pieces in the box. These do have the correct ends so you have to cut and splice the harnessā€¦ this was not in the instructions.
Hooked it up the trailer and everything works. Odd part is that the instructions state you have to get into FDRS and activate the trailer setting. I did not do that and it works, not sure why, but Iā€™m not complaining.
Ford Bronco Adding a 7 pin factory wiring harness image

Sponsored

BkCntryCrwlr

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So, BroncRider, what did you do for the trailer brake controller? It doesn't show this in the kit from Ford? Did you buy a Redarc seperately and install it? If so where did you plug it in?

Thanks

AlpineFisher

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Install is done. It was a bit of a pain, but it is a nice clean install. The instructions leave a little to be desired, had to do a lot of head scratching.
The worst part was the wire harness doesnā€™t have the right terminals to fit the existing plug. I toyed with it for an hour and a half before remembering there splices and 4ā€ wire pieces in the box. These do have the correct ends so you have to cut and splice the harnessā€¦ this was not in the instructions.
Hooked it up the trailer and everything works. Odd part is that the instructions state you have to get into FDRS and activate the trailer setting. I did not do that and it works, not sure why, but Iā€™m not complaining.
Ford Bronco Adding a 7 pin factory wiring harness image
I'm going to tackle this install over the weekend. As you said, the instructions are definitely lacking. Can you share anymore about the splicing you had to do? Any tips to help reduce the head scratching coming my way would be greatly appreciated!!

Philyn8iv

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Edge, Mitsubishi 3000GT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The Ford accessories website has 20% off orders of $300 or more (Summer20) if you select dealer install itā€™s puts it over that threshold. Iā€™ve attached screenshots. Also remember if the dealer installs it then itā€™s covered by the warranty. Well worth not having to put up with the aggravation. Iā€™m scheduling for next Friday.

IMG_9472.png

IMG_9474.png

Dquimby9

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I ordered the same thing!

BroncRider

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BaseSquatch 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
So, BroncRider, what did you do for the trailer brake controller? It doesn't show this in the kit from Ford? Did you buy a Redarc seperately and install it? If so where did you plug it in?

Thanks
I havenā€™t added a brake controller yet. Will probably go with Redarc when the time comes.
Sponsored