Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Alright, I'm finally going to ask this question. There have been a few threads that have discussed the downsides of buying a Bronco without a rear locker.

So, if you get a Bronco without a rear locker, the ring gear is welded to the stock diff.

What do you need to do in order to add a locker? New diff and gear and then choose the locker you want? Or is there another solution?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

All you need is a welder to weld up the spider gears.
The downside is it's permanent.

ARB offers an air locker for about $1k. You'll need to add an air compressor too.
Summit Racing already offers the whole rear unit, it's the Ford Performance unit. Will be avail from other sources.
$1752 from Summit, 4.46 ratio:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-3002-446bf/make/ford/model/bronco/year/2021

If I buy non-locker, I'd like to add a limited slip unit...... so LSD plus gears would be pushing $1k as well. The factory Ford option is a deal if you're non-Base model.

Last edited:

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Alright, I'm finally going to ask this question. There have been a few threads that have discussed the downsides of buying a Bronco without a rear locker.

So, if you get a Bronco without a rear locker, the ring gear is welded to the stock diff.

What do you need to do in order to add a locker? New diff and gear and then choose the locker you want? Or is there another solution?

Thanks in advance!
I’m not sure how to install it yourself, but for 4995 you can add the Sasquatch package and you’ll have a rear locker AND a front locker.

OP
OP
atonge40

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m not sure how to install it yourself, but for 4995 you can add the Sasquatch package and you’ll have a rear locker AND a front locker.
$7385 on the Base. I don't have a need for that level of equipment. Also, the Big Bend is $5000 more than the Base (2-door). Since I am getting the 7 speed manual, upgrading to the Big Bend is mostly unnecessary. I'm sure I can figure out how to get a locker back there for less than $5000. If I can't, then I'll just have to live with the open diff.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP
OP
atonge40

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Probably get more out of reading the thread already on here about it than asking again.
Base Model Rear Locking Differential | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community
I did read that thread. I've read it a few times.

That thread ended up with very detailed explanation about how diffs work, Rocketeer Rick provided excellent info. But there have been other details released since then (Ford accessory parts, etc), and I was hoping for an answer from the community. I guess I can ask the dealer or a gear shop instead.

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Get granger fords deal for $1000 off invoice on a big bend or black diamond and break even. Plus a nice road trip vacation to hit some trails on the way back. I’m doing the same with a black diamond I think... comes out almost the same for me (as doing non-granger base) since I was also going to add leather + wheels and tires to the MT base.

OP
OP
atonge40

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Get granger fords deal for $1000 off invoice on a big bend or black diamond and break even. Plus a nice road trip vacation. I’m doing the same with a black diamond I think... comes out almost the same for me since I was also going to add leather + wheels and tires to the MT base.
My Bronco cost is $30,000. An equivalent Black Diamond will probably be at least $36,000. I don't need to add leather or wheels. I'll upgrade the tires but that is under $1000. I won't be roadtripping in my 2-door Bronco often because my wife drives a Lincoln SUV that absolutely eats up highway miles.

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
In s
My Bronco cost is $30,000. An equivalent Black Diamond will probably be at least $36,000. I don't need to add leather or wheels. I'll upgrade the tires but that is under $1000. I won't be roadtripping in my 2-door Bronco often because my wife drives a Lincoln SUV that absolutely eats up highway miles.
Im saying your bronco is $30k now at your dealer.

a big bend from granger (with factory rear locker and bigger tires) is $31.5 - so by the time you add tires and a locker your original base was more expensive than if you just flew to granger and drove back a big bend

the deal works because the higher you go in trim, the bigger the invoice difference is

Sponsored
OP
OP
atonge40

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

In s

a big bend from granger (with rear locker and bigger tires) is $31.5 - so by the time you add tires and a locker your original base was more expensive than if you just flew to granger and drove back a big bend

the deal works because the higher you go in trim, the bigger the invoice difference is
I'll have to e-mail them and see. I get A-Plan so I haven't messed around with the $1000 under invoice deals. My build includes $1700 in options. MSRP is $31660 and A-Plan price is $30,166.

I think a Big Bend with $1000 under invoice is still over $34,000 when you include the destination and options.

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'll have to e-mail them and see. I get A-Plan so I haven't messed around with the $1000 under invoice deals. My build includes $1700 in options. MSRP is $31660 and A-Plan price is $30,166.

I think a Big Bend with $1000 under invoice is still over $34,000 when you include the destination and options.
They are very on top of it. I just switched recently. I think if you want a rear locker, nothing will beat the factory one. Give them a call they're a nice folks and called me back very quickly once i switched my reservation. I think you also get invoice pricing on all the options too...

OP
OP
atonge40

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They are very on top of it. I just switched recently. I think if you want a rear locker, nothing will beat the factory one. Give them a call they're a nice folks and called me back very quickly once i switched my reservation. I think you also get invoice pricing on all the options too...
Will do. Thank you!

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Will do. Thank you!
Yeah I think they’ll honor your plan too I’m not sure. Either way, price out both builds using the invoice price guide, take off $1k, then add your aftermarket changes, then compare the cost.

flights to Des Moines are cheap and it’s only a days drive for you I think.

frostyjake

Base
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
In s

a big bend from granger (with factory rear locker and bigger tires) is $31.5 - so by the time you add tires and a locker your original base was more expensive than if you just flew to granger and drove back a big bend

Not really an apples-to-apples comparison. The 31.5K price you quote is invoice minus 1k. That does not include the additional charge for the add-on rear locker ($495).

If you're switching to Granger, then a more accurate comparison is the Granger price for Base VS Big Bend. Base is 27k and Big Bend (+ locker) is 32k. That's still a 5k difference.

OP is correct about the 5k jump, doesn't matter where he shops. I hope that the rear locker is an add-on for MY22 Base, since I'm part of the Granger October deal.
Sponsored