GoHack

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
With the Bronco Locker, Is it electric or mechanical, and if electric, can it be used in 2Hi, 4Hi, and 4Low?
With the Jeep Rubicon, they're electric, Front and Rear, but you need to have the transfer case in 4Low in order to activate it. With rock crawling that is OK, but on dirt in 4Hi, or on snow covered pavement, you can't use it. Also too, we're also talking about a 4:1 transfer case w/the Rubicon, w/a 4.10 Differential, which is really Low.
I've owned a Rubicon, and didn't like the Lockers. Unless you doing rock climbing, their useless. I eventually traded it in for a Willy's w/a Limited Slip Differential, and a 3.73 Gearing. I was much happier w/it. It automatically engages in 2Hi, 4Hi, and 4Lo, it doesn't matter, and so it can be used in any kind of terrain, dirt, snow, wet, and snow cover pavement. It Slips when you make turns, but w/a Locker, both the Left and Right wheels are Locked.
Sponsored

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thats why they are called lockers

Bronc-Itus

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 F250, ‘88 4Runner(sold)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

🤔 Im not sure how it wouldn’t be electrical. Yes to the lockers in 2hi, 4hi and 4lo

also… Welcome to the dark side.

OP
OP
GoHack

GoHack

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
🤔 Im not sure how it wouldn’t be electrical. Yes to the lockers in 2hi, 4hi and 4lo

also… Welcome to the dark side.
You're right, what was I thinking. There are Lockers which Air rather than electric, such as the ARB's.

OP
OP
GoHack

GoHack

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Here's what I was thinking, the Detroit Locker, which only has three ratchet gears and remains in a locked position unless otherwise acted upon by an outside force, requiring the wheels to spin at different speeds.

Sponsored

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Here's what I was thinking, the Detroit Locker, which only has three ratchet gears and remains in a locked position unless otherwise acted upon by an outside force, requiring the wheels to spin at different speeds.
Not exactly sure what you're saying there, but I'll make some comments. As far as I know, the Bronco lockers work in any tcase range. Unlike in a Jeep Rubicon, or the factory wiring for ARB air lockers, which only allow the front locker to be locked if the rear locker is already locked, the Bronco front and rear lockers can be individually controlled, so only rear, or only front, or both. The lockers are mechanical, but they are electrically engaged. Once the locker is engaged, it acts like a spool, meaning both axles/tires are locked together and will turn the same speed no matter what.

A Detroit locker, or any other non-selectable locker, is referred to as an auto locker, meaning that it works automatically. An auto locker locks or unlocks depending on where the force into the differential comes from. The force can come from the driveline, or it can come from either of the tires/axles, which ever is the greater force determines if the locker is locked or unlocked. Differentiation is the term used to describe a differential allowing the inside and outside tires on the axle to turn at difference speeds when going around a corner. An auto locker (like a Detroit) will allow the outside tire to spin ahead of the inside tire by unlocking the gear on that side. One tire can spin ahead of the other tire. So, in a corner drive power is only going to the inside tire as the outside tire freely spins ahead, which is how the locker allows differentiation. However, the locker responds to whatever is giving it more torque, the driveline or the tire. If more torque is coming from the driveline, then the locker will lock and both tires/axles turn at the same speed. If more torque is coming from the traction of the outside tire trying to spin ahead then the locker will unlock and let the outside tire spin freely. While driving this can be controlled with throttle pressure.

I like to give the analogy of holding a ratchet handle in one hand and the socket in the other hand. If you pull on the ratchet handle the socket will spin, but if you spin the socket it will click ahead of the ratchet...exactly how an auto locker works.

However, the Bronco lockers are not auto lockers, they are selectable. This means they are either an open diff, or they are a spool. Both tires can spin independently, or both tires are locked together.

OP
OP
GoHack

GoHack

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not exactly sure what you're saying there, but I'll make some comments. As far as I know, the Bronco lockers work in any tcase range. Unlike in a Jeep Rubicon, or the factory wiring for ARB air lockers, which only allow the front locker to be locked if the rear locker is already locked, the Bronco front and rear lockers can be individually controlled, so only rear, or only front, or both. The lockers are mechanical, but they are electrically engaged. Once the locker is engaged, it acts like a spool, meaning both axles/tires are locked together and will turn the same speed no matter what.

A Detroit locker, or any other non-selectable locker, is referred to as an auto locker, meaning that it works automatically. An auto locker locks or unlocks depending on where the force into the differential comes from. The force can come from the driveline, or it can come from either of the tires/axles, which ever is the greater force determines if the locker is locked or unlocked. Differentiation is the term used to describe a differential allowing the inside and outside tires on the axle to turn at difference speeds when going around a corner. An auto locker (like a Detroit) will allow the outside tire to spin ahead of the inside tire by unlocking the gear on that side. One tire can spin ahead of the other tire. So, in a corner drive power is only going to the inside tire as the outside tire freely spins ahead, which is how the locker allows differentiation. However, the locker responds to whatever is giving it more torque, the driveline or the tire. If more torque is coming from the driveline, then the locker will lock and both tires/axles turn at the same speed. If more torque is coming from the traction of the outside tire trying to spin ahead then the locker will unlock and let the outside tire spin freely. While driving this can be controlled with throttle pressure.

I like to give the analogy of holding a ratchet handle in one hand and the socket in the other hand. If you pull on the ratchet handle the socket will spin, but if you spin the socket it will click ahead of the ratchet...exactly how an auto locker works.

However, the Bronco lockers are not auto lockers, they are selectable. This means they are either an open diff, or they are a spool. Both tires can spin independently, or both tires are locked together.

The question I have w/the Bronco Lockers, do they operated in 4Lo only, like the Jeep's?