Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow, Sasquatch package is so worth it after reading this thread.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
atonge40

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not really an apples-to-apples comparison. The 31.5K price you quote is invoice minus 1k. That does not include the additional charge for the add-on rear locker ($495).

If you're switching to Granger, then a more accurate comparison is the Granger price for Base VS Big Bend. Base is 27k and Big Bend (+ locker) is 32k. That's still a 5k difference.

OP is correct about the 5k jump, doesn't matter where he shops. I hope that the rear locker is an add-on for MY22 Base, since I'm part of the Granger October deal.
$495 is a great price for a locker. I still can't believe Ford isn't offering it on the Base. You can get it on a RWD Ranger XL.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

EXAC
$7385 on the Base. I don't have a need for that level of equipment. Also, the Big Bend is $5000 more than the Base (2-door). Since I am getting the 7 speed manual, upgrading to the Big Bend is mostly unnecessary. I'm sure I can figure out how to get a locker back there for less than $5000. If I can't, then I'll just have to live with the open diff.
EXACTLY the same reasons I'm sticking with the Base.... or even the Base Squatch.... heated seats end up being 6500 bucks.

New ring, and pinion set because they are matched, the new diff plus the labor ....1500 to 2k for the rear axle alone.

Regular 4x has always worked well for me, plus the traction control the Bronco will have .... I'd give all of that a shot before jumping straight to the locker or LS. My plan anyways....

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

EXAC
$7385 on the Base. I don't have a need for that level of equipment. Also, the Big Bend is $5000 more than the Base (2-door). Since I am getting the 7 speed manual, upgrading to the Big Bend is mostly unnecessary. I'm sure I can figure out how to get a locker back there for less than $5000. If I can't, then I'll just have to live with the open diff.
EXACTLY the same reasons I'm sticking with the Base.... or even the Base Squatch.... heated seats end up being 6500 bucks.

New ring, and pinion set because they are matched, the new diff plus the labor ....1500 to 2k for the rear axle alone.

Regular 4x has always worked well for me, plus the traction control the Bronco will have .... I'd give all of that a shot before jumping straight to the locker or LS. My plan anyways....

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I did read that thread. I've read it a few times.

That thread ended up with very detailed explanation about how diffs work, Rocketeer Rick provided excellent info. But there have been other details released since then (Ford accessory parts, etc), and I was hoping for an answer from the community. I guess I can ask the dealer or a gear shop instead.

Nothing has changed. You will still need to buy a new gear set with whatever locker or LSD you want and have it installed.

OP
OP
atonge40

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Nothing has changed. You will still need to buy a new gear set with whatever locker or LSD you want and have it installed.
Thank you for the helpful answer.

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not really an apples-to-apples comparison. The 31.5K price you quote is invoice minus 1k. That does not include the additional charge for the add-on rear locker ($495).

If you're switching to Granger, then a more accurate comparison is the Granger price for Base VS Big Bend. Base is 27k and Big Bend (+ locker) is 32k. That's still a 5k difference.

OP is correct about the 5k jump, doesn't matter where he shops. I hope that the rear locker is an add-on for MY22 Base, since I'm part of the Granger October deal.

I didn't realize the diff was $500 on the big bend. I know it's not comparable if you take the granger deal on the base. I was saying in comparison to what he was going to pay currently at his local dealer. The invoice -$1000 pricing is still less attractive on the base due to invoice only being $500 off msrp. It's a matter of figuring out what you want. I was just presenting options, since there's no way I'd buy a brand new truck and weld the gears...

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here's my comparison with all granger prices (estimated the aftermarket locker costs $2000 all said and done) - again this chart is for me, because i want premium interior (black diamond has this) and heaters (cheaper with heat-only on stock seats, more expensive with katzkin degreez)

for me, the black diamond is a way better deal for what i get, considering all the items in Base and Big Bend category marked "NO" - I did not add these to those builds. (also don't forget the value later of the higher model trim)

Ford Bronco Adding a Rear Locker to the Bronco Base Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 11.39.59 AM

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would say figure about $3k minimum including labor for gears and locker. May be more may be less. Also depends on what brand you go with and how much labor is around you.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
The arb locker needs a compressor too.

So for locker , gears , seals , compressor and install you maybe looking at $2500 if you go somewhere reputable.

Or you could pay even more for something fancy.

On my pickup, the e-locker I have for the front costs an embarrassingly high amount of money. But it has held up really well and works great. I went with a less costly lunch box locker in the rear that did not hold up for even 30k miles with one of the bearings completely coming apart, then had to have it redone. But after around two years the pinion seal is leaking so badly something will have to be done. So do it right or do it twice, or three times in my case. The expensive front E-locker turned out to be the better deal long term.

But maybe you will be more lucky, I wish I could go back in time and get a better rear locker the first time, as it would have cost less long term.

Edit: I just checked the price and to redo my pickups rear diff to match the front locker would be
$2,899

Last edited:

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm kinda the same place as you. Base, Basquatch or BB (w/locker).

Adding a locker to a Base will be difficult and expensive. Since you are manual, there is a 4.46 set up in accessory list for about $2K. From strictly a value aspect Basquatch is the best deal, but I think overkill. With a BB I can have close to my ideal: rear locker, 4.27, nice wheels and acceptable tires, color availability and a few niceties BUT it costs probably $2K more than it should.

I'm still waffling, but probably going BB

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
also keep in mind the base rims are very skinny and your tire choices will be limited (16x7 rims)

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
EXAC

Yes but you also need to consider if you're going to do new wheels and tires on base, or if you'd keep the ones that come with big bend. That will put you much closer to the cost difference with a factory locker and higher trim model. Not saying not to go base, just saying make sure you think if any other upgrades you're considering. If you would change the BB or BD wheels anyway, then yeah doesn't matter as much.
Sponsored