theothermike

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Alright folks I've been doing some research in an effort to put a locker in my rear diff sometime before winter roles around. Turns out its not as cut and dry as I originally hoped. I wanted to get everything together in one place and get some thoughts and opinions on the subject. Hopefully this will help the next guy that knows next to nothing about diffs. I'm going to list what I know and a couple things A am curios about, please chime in with your knowledge.

Base 7mt non squatch has a Dana 44 m220 (220mm diameter ring gear) with 32 splines and an open diff

The ratio is 4.46 which is an oddball ratio

The stock ring gear is welded to the carrier, so to install a carrier with a locker you need a new ring gear that can bolt onto it. And since the gears are matched sets, you will also have to change your pinon gear meaning you will have to re shim your diff, basically rebuild it.

Spicer makes gear sets in all the oem ratios, the part number for the 4.46 is 10145092 check out their page https://spicerparts.com/parts/axle/...picer-ring-and-pinion-gearing-for-ford-bronco

There are 2 different height carriers for dana 44s we need the taller of the two for ratios 3.92 and up. See this page for clarification https://www.differentials.com/technical-help-2/carrier-breaks/

As for known options I have found 4
1. ARB air locker
2. Eaton air locker
3. Eaton E-locker
4. Complete built axle with locker from ford

A downside to all these options is the price, all are over a grand plus a few hundred for your gear set and rebuild kit. As for air vs electric it seems that a lot of guys agree that air is the way to go for serious off roading/crawling. The obvious downside to air is the need for a compressor system in your truck. I have no need for an air locker so I will go with electric locker.

Now I have a couple options that I don't know if they would work, If you have any knowledge please chime in.

1. OX locker, specifically D44-M220-32 these can be bought as electric or air or cable operated but are still pricy
2. OEM jeep locker (kinda gross idea I know) part number 68036128AA can be found for 5-600 bucks and if it works will be by far the cheapest option

If you have any insight on lockers please let me know what you think.
Sponsored

Strizzo

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Everyone i've wheeled with that has air lockers has had some sort of issue with them requiring tear downs and replacements, which get spendy if you are out of pocket each time it happens. if you can set up your own axle, you're only out your time.

If its something you're only going to use occasionally, I'd lean towards an e-locker for the "works every time" reliability since it seems like you want it more for winter driving than hard core rock crawling. I believe yukon also sells e-lockers but they may be re-badged eaton lockers.

Sozzy1269

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco 2door, 2012 Raptor, 2017 f350
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The short way home is to find a used axle with the e-locker already installed... try eBay or car-part.com. I've seen several one each over the last few months.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Looking at the same thing here for my Bronco - @theothermike did you end up doing anything?

Mike leggiero

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a base I have a 10 percent grade I have to go up just to hit the main road and the snow plow won't plow it. So it gets ice over .slippery mode stock tires goes right up it. I now have 35s on it and wheel it in slippery mode does very well keeps up with the SAS package.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a base I have a 10 percent grade I have to go up just to hit the main road and the snow plow won't plow it. So it gets ice over .slippery mode stock tires goes right up it. I now have 35s on it and wheel it in slippery mode does very well keeps up with the SAS package.
In the coming years there will be a boatload of pre-owned Broncos for sale with unused lockers.
Sponsored