Sponsored

7MT 4.46 Upgrade - How to add lockers and new gearing?

Jason

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands & 2023 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not to hijack a thread but what is the function of 4wd if you don’t have lockers. Won’t one wheel slip no matter what. Even in 4wd?
4WD with open diffs is essentially two wheel drive, as the power will go to the fastest spinning wheel on each axle. However, that means that 2WD with an open diff is basically one wheel drive for the same reason.

4WD will have twice the traction, so it’s much better even with open diffs.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MythlinMasterdo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3L 7MT Bronco, Lamborghini Urus, McLaren 765LT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You can actually buy complete front 44 and rear 60 with 4.70 and lockers from Ford/Dana. Bolt them in and sell your axles. Nice setup and maybe cheaper than having gears and lockers installed.
https://spicerparts.com/ford/bronco/2021
I was thinking about going this route, would this be better than what is OEM on a badlands?

OP
OP
MythlinMasterdo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3L 7MT Bronco, Lamborghini Urus, McLaren 765LT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The labor for lockers and gearing is almost the same. If you really want to put off some costs, maybe you install the differentials and lockers, but push out the electrical / air plumbing and wiring. We’re still brand new to this, so not much available. ARB will have an air lcoker kit, and other companies will have electric lockers and still more limited slips (LSDs). To me the most interesting option would be to go oem, especially if it is system integrated.

lots and lots here to learn to be honest.

your best option today is to trade in for a badlands (but I suspect you already know this).
I'll like be getting the Raptor variant as well so I wanted to have a more "base" manual bronco with higher quality axles/lockers than what is offered OEM. I also thought that it wouldnt make much sense to spend more on the "extras" that come in a badlands, but maybe I am wrong! I am expecting to spend between $5-7k to upgrade axles/lockers/wiring

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Sponsored

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As far as doing both front and rear at the same time, yes if you want to use 4WD, no if you keep it in 2wd. If you only do the rear and forget and put it in 4wd, it will be an expensive mistake. But yes, you can do one at a time as long as it never goes into 4wd while they are mismatched.
Can you explain why this is the case? I don't understand the danger of installing a rear locker only. How is it any different than driving a squatch equipped Bronco in 4WD but with only the rear locker engaged?

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Can you explain why this is the case? I don't understand the danger of installing a rear locker only. How is it any different than driving a squatch equipped Bronco in 4WD but with only the rear locker engaged?
He was saying if you just changed the rear gears and not the front. You can't engage 4wd with two different ratios.

You can definitely run with just the rear (or front) locker on.

clarkT

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t traction control detect the spinning wheel and brake it… thereby preventing the old “digging” problem of open diffs? And as long as the driver is competent and can accelerate smoothly (and sometimes drive with 2 feet) learn to get around “most” issues that used to require lockers in the old rigs.

A set of traction/recovery boards, modern traction control, and a good driver will do 90% of what a rear locker would. Really everything Except a few rock crawling, one wheel off ground scenarios or absolutely horrible mud/ice situations.

I do wish LSD or a-la-carte lockers were options. But till the market catches up, you’ll be shocked at how much you can do. The Bronco is the most capable OEM rig ever built.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Changing out gears in only one diff as opposed to both. Sometimes, you only have the money to do one at a time. I had to do this in my Tacoma for a couple of months when I regeared and added lockers. I just taped a sticky on the 4WD lever that said NO! in case I forgot. It's not a problem having mis matched gears if you never engage them. Something bad is going to happen if you do though.

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Changing out gears in only one diff as opposed to both. Sometimes, you only have the money to do one at a time. I had to do this in my Tacoma for a couple of months when I regeared and added lockers. I just taped a sticky on the 4WD lever that said NO! in case I forgot. It's not a problem having mis matched gears if you never engage them. Something bad is going to happen if you do though.
Ahhh got it, makes sense. So he can change the entire rear axle to add a locker, just not different gear ratios front and rear.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t traction control detect the spinning wheel and brake it… thereby preventing the old “digging” problem of open diffs? And as long as the driver is competent and can accelerate smoothly (and sometimes drive with 2 feet) learn to get around “most” issues that used to require lockers in the old rigs.

A set of traction/recovery boards, modern traction control, and a good driver will do 90% of what a rear locker would. Really everything Except a few rock crawling, one wheel off ground scenarios or absolutely horrible mud/ice situations.

I do wish LSD or a-la-carte lockers were options. But till the market catches up, you’ll be shocked at how much you can do. The Bronco is the most capable OEM rig ever built.

Modern traction control does a lot, but it's not the same. Adding brake is not the same as adding torque. Even a small incline with wet grass can defeat an open diff with computer traction control. A good Torsen or Trutrac will seamlessly continue on without you even knowing it engaged. Open diffs have limitations.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll like be getting the Raptor variant as well so I wanted to have a more "base" manual bronco with higher quality axles/lockers than what is offered OEM. I also thought that it wouldnt make much sense to spend more on the "extras" that come in a badlands, but maybe I am wrong! I am expecting to spend between $5-7k to upgrade axles/lockers/wiring
Seems like you’d be happy with a base manual Sasquatch. Really the only thing missing from the badlands would be the sway bar disconnect, but you would get the 315/70R17 tires and better wheels. Base Mansquatch is $38K.

Ford Bronco 7MT 4.46 Upgrade - How to add lockers and new gearing? 53E437F4-9217-4E42-BBFD-7507EEA65149

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can actually buy complete front 44 and rear 60 with 4.70 and lockers from Ford/Dana. Bolt them in and sell your axles. Nice setup and maybe cheaper than having gears and lockers installed.
https://spicerparts.com/ford/bronco/2021
Yeah , I'm gonna order one of the parts listed for the 2027 Bronco, that's about when I'll expect my Grangetober Reservation to get built.

Ford Bronco 7MT 4.46 Upgrade - How to add lockers and new gearing? 3B5E3C2D-7F3A-4B10-8706-1256031E775E_1_201_a

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@MythlinMasterdo
You said you already have your Big Bend right?

WTF, over?
This has been the shittiest thread for a guy new to offroading I have read in any 4x forum ever , well maybe a few over at Pirate4x4, but I may have mentally blocked those assholes.
There has only been one sensible reply so far for a guy WHO ALREADY HAS HIS BRONCO!!!! (props to @Jason )

Get out there and wheel it, gain experience , figure out what you need go THEN SPEND MONEY.
Like I have been saying here for years .... I learned in an old carburated 69 Bronco on 33's and two open diffs.

YOU WILL BE AMAZED AT HOW FAR YOU CAN GO ON 33's AND TWO OPEN DIFFS.
....with the addition of electronic nannys and GOAT modes, these new ones will go even farther.

Needing Squatch, 35's and double Lockers .... just to learn???? WTF? NONSENSE.

First thing , MAYBE... if you already have your Big Bend will most likely be better TIRES!

Find a club and get out there. You'll meet great people who will welcome you and gladly school ya.

Here, check out what an experienced guy and gal can do in a BONE stock Base.
THESE are the folks you'll meet out there, and they'll shoot ya straight.

https://www.youtube.com/c/HorsinAround

I apologize for all the bad info you were dealt.
I've said my peace.
I'm probably done with this thread.
See ya out there!
Where's my Scotch tumbler?

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@MythlinMasterdo
You said you already have your Big Bend right?

WTF, over?
This has been the shittiest thread for a guy new to offroading I have read in any 4x forum ever , well maybe a few over at Pirate4x4, but I may have mentally blocked those assholes.
There has only been one sensible reply so far for a guy WHO ALREADY HAS HIS BRONCO!!!! (props to @Jason )

Get out there and wheel it, gain experience , figure out what you need go THEN SPEND MONEY.
Like I have been saying here for years .... I learned in an old carburated 69 Bronco on 33's and two open diffs.

YOU WILL BE AMAZED AT HOW FAR YOU CAN GO ON 33's AND TWO OPEN DIFFS.
....with the addition of electronic nannys and GOAT modes, these new ones will go even farther.

Needing Squatch, 35's and double Lockers .... just to learn???? WTF? NONSENSE.

First thing , MAYBE... if you already have your Big Bend will most likely be better TIRES!

Find a club and get out there. You'll meet great people who will welcome you and gladly school ya.

Here, check out what an experienced guy and gal can do in a BONE stock Base.
THESE are the folks you'll meet out there, and they'll shoot ya straight.

https://www.youtube.com/c/HorsinAround

I apologize for all the bad info you were dealt.
I've said my peace.
I'm probably done with this thread.
See ya out there!
Where's my Scotch tumbler?
But with lockers on both axles, you can do it technically, without the need for speed to make it through lol.....hence the term crawling, and not ramming or bouncing through. I'm not new to crawling either, learned on open axles with 33" on a 71' bronco but followed some other guys with both just the rear locked and some with both axles locked. Both axles locked is a no brainer for crawling, beginner or not.
Sponsored