First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What's more odd is the manual base gets the same mpg as the manual badlands. Makes me think they only tested the manual badlands...

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For those that ordered the MT, an interesting last paragraph to the article:

One more fun tidbit, while we're spending all this time on fuel economy: The manual-transmission Bronco actually gets better fuel mileage than the automatic, per EPA estimates. This, despite the fact that the automatic has 10 ratios to the manual's 6. In the past 10 years, we've seen automatic transmissions squeeze out more MPG than their stick-shift counterparts when paired to identical engines, thanks to more ratios and crazy smart shift strategies. It's fun to see the stick shift do better than the auto here. And it's a pretty big difference: the stick-shift Badlands gets 22 mpg highway, compared to 17 with the automatic. That's a nearly 30-percent improvement in favor of the three-pedal Bronco.

Sean492

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70 Ford Mustang Boss 302 and 2011 Ford F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They state wrong tire sizes for the base and wrong gears for badlands.
Not to mention they referred to the Badlands Non Sas Hwy MPG with the 2.7L opposed to the SAS which is the same Hwy Mpg as the 2.3 L

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

They state wrong tire sizes for the base and wrong gears for badlands.
Y'all comments are insightful, I'm not sure ROT is analyzing correctly, or understands the many Bronco varieties. Although i continue find the low Bronco MPG puzzling, since my F150's 2.7 Eco can get up to 24 MPH on the highway, better than the Bronco. As I've observed before, my 2016 F150 has the 3.55 axle. FYI, my F150 RPM at 60 MPH is 1600 (someone asked). It has the 6 speed auto.

I've developed the opinion that its (mostly) all about gearing, the low ratios causing lower MPG. The proof is in the pudding, and when my Bronco arrives (this Summer??), I'll be measuring my MPG! And it does matter, this is my daily driver, and gas can add up, especially with the smaller tank.

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Y'all comments are insightful, I'm not sure ROT is analyzing correctly, or understands the many Bronco varieties. Although i continue find the low Bronco MPG puzzling, since my F150's 2.7 Eco can get up to 24 MPH on the highway, better than the Bronco. As I've observed before, my 2016 F150 has the 3.55 axle. FYI, my F150 RPM at 60 MPH is 1600 (someone asked). It has the 6 speed auto.

I've developed the opinion that its (mostly) all about gearing, the low ratios causing lower MPG. The proof is in the pudding, and when my Bronco arrives (this Summer??), I'll be measuring my MPG! And it does matter, this is my daily driver, and gas can add up, especially with the smaller tank.
Does your F-150 have one of those cute front air dams? Also I would assume it has 2" less ground clearance and has just slightly better aerodynamics, not to mention a lower curb weight.

Sponsored

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Does your F-150 have one of those cute front air dams? Also I would assume it has 2" less ground clearance and has just slightly better aerodynamics, not to mention a lower curb weight.
This is a reason I am researching wheel and tire weights. Reducing unsprung weight should (hopefully) help these bricks.

Wide Open Roads

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta, '10 911 C2S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OK, how long until we hear all the boasts/brags about how much mileage people are seeing? Could be a fun transition from complaining about everything else.

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is a reason I am researching wheel and tire weights. Reducing unsprung weight should (hopefully) help these bricks.
Yes, it has the air dam, but its not light, and the profile is a stock 4x4 with stock 32 inch 275/65R18 tires, 1.5 inches wider than my OBX. I use it on various East Coast beaches, aired down to 15-20 lbs.. Havent ripped off the air scoop in 5 years, and its a trade for the bronco.

Derby

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
We had a 4 door 2.3l, 10spd, non squach, outer banks, cactus grey, st, show up at the plant today. I took a quick look at it. Mpg was listed at 20-22. I didn't catch the tire size but they were not steelies.
I didn't think the mpg was too bad. Makes me wonder if my decision to change to the 2.7 was wise. But what's .4 l between friends....
Sponsored

Last edited: