Sponsored

7MT Aftermarket Rear Locker - Has Anyone Done It Yet?

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Would it be easier to swap out a used rear end from a wrecked Bronco?
I think that's a great way to go if we can figure out how to activate the locker. On Super Duty oem lockers you only need to apply 12v to make it work in another vehicle.
Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is where I was headed also...... Find a wreck, pillage the squatch.

:unsure: I remember seeing someone on here finding some Ultra4 take offs........

Last edited:

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The new incentive has finally pushed me to dropping SAS from my 2Dr Base order. All I really wanted was a rear locker, but the Base Mansquatch is only a bit more than a Black Diamond build. So, the value was there. Now, I'm thinking I'll start with better tires (I like the steelies) and add an aftermarket rear locker for some moderate wheeling capability. The limited options available look like either a full rear axle from Ford for ~$2300, or Air locker kit and new ring/pinion for nearly the same. Basically, the incentive pays for the parts.

I've been hunting through the forum for build journals or mentions of putting a locker in a 7MT, and have come up empty. Only lighting, lifts, and cosmetics (no judgement). It seems that the last discussion on the subject was a year ago:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/7mt-4-46-upgrade-how-to-add-lockers-and-new-gearing.34356/

Have I missed an obvious owner build that has taken this path? Or is there a flaw in my logic that makes it more effort/cost than it's worth for everyone?
You can option the Big bend with a rear locker as well. I’m not sure on the price difference From base But then you get 4.27 gears and locker with warranty. Steelies are cheap and easy to come by and you could get a wider aftermarket set of steelies for better tire selection too. Looks like it’s about a $2k difference from base to big bend with locker. Worth it imo.

Last edited:

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I mean... it kinda depends what you want to do with your Bronco. If you want to build it up over time with higher-end aftermarket components, then I'd definitely slap in air lockers. Air lockers are general beefier and more dependable than E-lockers (but they also have more parts and some maintenance attached).

If you just want it to be capable from the factory, I'd bump up to a higher trim.

For some reason it seems like the Black Diamond is constrained in some way--not sure what the full story is there. I plan on asking Ford if they ever get around to doing a live stream. BUT assuming it is constrained... Big Bend with the rear locker also makes a lot of sense. If you get the manual transmission it'll come with the 4.46 rear axle, the exact same gearing as the Black Diamond. And it'll be cheaper than the Black Diamond overall by several hundred dollars.

With the current state of things I was well prepared to self-squatch with lockers. The aftermarket has realized what the Bronco is and they are hard at work crafting cool stuff, will just take some time to see it.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think that's a great way to go if we can figure out how to activate the locker. On Super Duty oem lockers you only need to apply 12v to make it work in another vehicle.

Aux switch or just hard wire them to a rocker switches in the consol. Most of the diff connectors are just 2 wire. Nice thing is if you want it on it is on. And visa versa.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I mean... it kinda depends what you want to do with your Bronco. If you want to build it up over time with higher-end aftermarket components, then I'd definitely slap in air lockers. Air lockers are general beefier and more dependable than E-lockers (but they also have more parts and some maintenance attached).

If you just want it to be capable from the factory, I'd bump up to a higher trim.

For some reason it seems like the Black Diamond is constrained in some way--not sure what the full story is there. I plan on asking Ford if they ever get around to doing a live stream. BUT assuming it is constrained... Big Bend with the rear locker also makes a lot of sense. If you get the manual transmission it'll come with the 4.46 rear axle, the exact same gearing as the Black Diamond. And it'll be cheaper than the Black Diamond overall by several hundred dollars.
I went BB with the 4.27 locker got the cloth, wheels and grill I liked better than BD, and added rails, skids and tires for a few thousand less than BD. OP likes steelies and getting the bargain of the base, so ponying up for a locker might make good sense.

frostyjake

Base
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
With the current state of things I was well prepared to self-squatch with lockers. The aftermarket has realized what the Bronco is and they are hard at work crafting cool stuff, will just take some time to see it.
Y'all are convincing me to drop SAS. Redid the math and it saves me $9885 to drop SAS from a base manual ($7385 cost of SAS plus $2500 current offer). If I can do a quality rear locker down the line for a fraction of that, then I would be happy.

OP
OP
CPL_Rabbit

CPL_Rabbit

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Minivan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I went BB with the 4.27 locker got the cloth, wheels and grill I liked better than BD, and added rails, skids and tires for a few thousand less than BD. OP likes steelies and getting the bargain of the base, so ponying up for a locker might make good sense.
With the BB, it feels like paying $4k just for the locker. Big Bend is my least favorite trim for a lot of, mostly subjective, reasons.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Not with a base as ford does not offer the 3.73 with a locker. You would have to swap the front diff too.

OP
OP
CPL_Rabbit

CPL_Rabbit

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Minivan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not with a base as ford does not offer the 3.73 with a locker. You would have to swap the front diff too.
This is a conversation about the 7MT. Which comes with 4.46 on all trims, except BL, without SAS.

Sponsored

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is a conversation about the 7MT. Which comes with 4.46 on all trims, except BL, without SAS.
🤦‍♂️ your correct I missed that. Then yup not bad to find a used setup.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

With the BB, it feels like paying $4k just for the locker. Big Bend is my least favorite trim for a lot of, mostly subjective, reasons.
Lots of folks say the same thing and call it the BB tax. Fact is you pay that tax for any trim above base. I just happen to like the grille, wheels and upholstery of the BB best. Adding rails. skids and tires I got the functional equivalent of the BD for a few k less.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Someone said it already, find a wrecked bronco and swap in their dana 44.

If you want to get serious, Spicer does have a Ultimate Dana 60 Semi Floating rear axle built specifically for the Bronco. The one they did for the Jeep is $2975, and there is no pricing for the bronco unit yet. (they also have a extreme front drive unit, and axle shafts.)

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Someone said it already, find a wrecked bronco and swap in their dana 44.

If you want to get serious, Spicer does have a Ultimate Dana 60 Semi Floating rear axle built specifically for the Bronco. The one they did for the Jeep is $2975, and there is no pricing for the bronco unit yet. (they also have a extreme front drive unit, and axle shafts.)

They also make an Ultimate 44 FDU for the front, an upgrade from the stock E-locked M210.

4K or 6500 with CVs.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
They also make an Ultimate 44 FDU for the front, an upgrade from the stock E-locked M210.

4K or 6500 with CVs.
and you have to get the CV's because the spine count on the Ultimate FDU is different than stock.
Sponsored