Sponsored

7MT Aftermarket Rear Locker - Has Anyone Done It Yet?

CPL_Rabbit

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Minivan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The new incentive has finally pushed me to dropping SAS from my 2Dr Base order. All I really wanted was a rear locker, but the Base Mansquatch is only a bit more than a Black Diamond build. So, the value was there. Now, I'm thinking I'll start with better tires (I like the steelies) and add an aftermarket rear locker for some moderate wheeling capability. The limited options available look like either a full rear axle from Ford for ~$2300, or Air locker kit and new ring/pinion for nearly the same. Basically, the incentive pays for the parts.

I've been hunting through the forum for build journals or mentions of putting a locker in a 7MT, and have come up empty. Only lighting, lifts, and cosmetics (no judgement). It seems that the last discussion on the subject was a year ago:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/7mt-4-46-upgrade-how-to-add-lockers-and-new-gearing.34356/

Have I missed an obvious owner build that has taken this path? Or is there a flaw in my logic that makes it more effort/cost than it's worth for everyone?
Sponsored

Last edited:

frostyjake

Base
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm in the same boat as you. I've got a base mansquatch ordered. Dropping Sasquatch saves $6500, plus the $2500 offer equals $9000 in savings.

I really would like to have factory lockers, especial the rear locker, but $9000 would go a long way towards mods. Looking forward to the discussion.

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would rather have a Black Diamond model with full Ford warranty than order a base model, deal with headaches and expense of making it into a Black Diamond but maybe Iā€™m biased.

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Iā€™m inclined to agree with greyshadow here. If youā€™re looking for something with moderate wheeling capability, why not just get the Black Diamond? You can still have it with steelies, comes with good A/T tires and a rear locker, as well as full steel bash plates, rock rails, and bumpers and a nicer interior to boot.

OP
OP
CPL_Rabbit

CPL_Rabbit

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Minivan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Iā€™m inclined to agree with greyshadow here. If youā€™re looking for something with moderate wheeling capability, why not just get the Black Diamond? You can still have it with steelies, comes with good A/T tires and a rear locker, as well as full steel bash plates, rock rails, and bumpers and a nicer interior to boot.
There are over 5 thousand reasons, according to my math. Even if I spend over half that to get what I want, it's money I'm not financing. I'm also choosing when, and how, to do it. I'm a cheap bastard. The main draw of the BD, beyond the locker, is the interior. It's not worth $2500 to me.

Sponsored

frostyjake

Base
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
I can think of $6655 reasons.

Some of the Black Diamond features are not for everyone. There are superior after market bumpers, bash plates, and rock rails, and some folks prefer cloth over vinyl (especially in warmer climates).

In any case, this discussion doesn't really address the questions the OP asked.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can think of $6655 reasons.

Some of the Black Diamond features are not for everyone. There are superior after market bumpers, bash plates, and rock rails, and some folks prefer cloth over vinyl (especially in warmer climates).

In any case, this discussion doesn't really address the questions the OP asked.
But it explains why people haven't talked a lot about adding lockers to the Base, because for some people it may be easier to get the BD.

I think we are going to see a lot more Base builds in the near future.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well, my 2DR Squatch made the cut but I have noticed this lately......

https://www.yukongear.com/shop/limited-slip-differentials-lockers/

Made me more at ease about loosing my Squatch if need be. šŸ˜
Had grizzly locker from them on my F150. Have electronic rear locker on my black diamond bronco. 100% would go black diamond for electronic rear locker over grizzly locker. It's a ratchet type locker so if it's slick on road and you are going straight your rear is locked and it gets squirrelly really fast unless in 4x4. Being able to choose when you want to be locked is soo much better.

I went black diamond because for the cost you get locker and also MGV seats that are easy to clean if get dirty. Love my decision

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I mean... it kinda depends what you want to do with your Bronco. If you want to build it up over time with higher-end aftermarket components, then I'd definitely slap in air lockers. Air lockers are generally beefier and more dependable than E-lockers... but air lockers also have more parts and some maintenance attached.

If you just want it to be capable from the factory, I'd bump up to a higher trim.

For some reason it seems like the Black Diamond is constrained in some way--not sure what the full story is there. I plan on asking Ford if they ever get around to doing a live stream. BUT assuming it is constrained... Big Bend with the rear locker also makes a lot of sense. If you get the manual transmission it'll come with the 4.46 rear axle, the exact same gearing as the Black Diamond. And it'll be cheaper than the Black Diamond overall by several hundred dollars.

Last edited:

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Had grizzly locker from them on my F150. Have electronic rear locker on my black diamond bronco. 100% would go black diamond for electronic rear locker over grizzly locker. It's a ratchet type locker so if it's slick on road and you are going straight your rear is locked and it gets squirrelly really fast unless in 4x4. Being able to choose when you want to be locked is soo much better.

I went black diamond because for the cost you get locker and also MGV seats that are easy to clean if get dirty. Love my decision

Well, my guess is you did not "click the link" because it is an E-locker for a Dana M220 rear for Bronco and Ranger. šŸ˜

šŸ»
Sponsored