First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I am not an electrical engineer by any means. I have a few questions that I would like answers to before I jump into installing a pair of KC lights on the cowl. I bought these lights years ago and don't remember exactly what ones they are, but the come with its own switch and relay. My question is do I need all that extra stuff? Or can I simply cut it off at the relay, connect the two power wires and the two ground wires, connect the power wire to the pre wired aux wire and the ground wire to a ground? Or what do I need to do?
Sponsored

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

OP
OP
Get In The Bronco

Get In The Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yes I understand that. But my question is do I just need the red wire and black wire and can I cut off the relay with all of the other wires for the KC provided switch or should I keep those?
You need to review the power draw for the lights you have. If the power draw is less than one of the available circuits in the aux switch panel, a relay is not needed. If your power draw exceeds an available aux switch current rating, then, yes, you will need to keep the relay, tie in to the lowest amperage rated circuit with your relay circuit and run the power directly to the battery.

OP
OP
Get In The Bronco

Get In The Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You need to review the power draw for the lights you have. If the power draw is less than one of the available circuits in the aux switch panel, a relay is not needed. If your power draw exceeds an available aux switch current rating, then, yes, you will need to keep the relay, tie in to the lowest amperage rated circuit with your relay circuit and run the power directly to the battery.
Ok thank you. I have the 5" apollo pro's. On their description on the website it says they each draw 4.58A, total of 9.16A. So I should be able to cut it all off, wire them together and put them on Aux 3 which is 10A, correct?

Also thank you very much for the help! I really do appreciate your time with helping me!

Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ok thank you. I have the 5" apollo pro's. On their description on the website it says they each draw 4.58A, total of 9.16A. So I should be able to cut it all off, wire them together and put them on Aux 3 which is 10A, correct?

Also thank you very much for the help! I really do appreciate your time with helping me!
9.16 would be too close to a 10A circuits comfort zone.....

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That is correct. Your lights are 55 watts each which equals 4.58 amps per light. Now, for me, and my experience in electrical, I would be a bit more comfortable on a 12 amp circuit. You have no margin for increased resistance in your circuit. Consider the 15 amp circuit.

amps = watts /volts

OP
OP
Get In The Bronco

Get In The Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you both so much! So the next one up from 10A would be Aux2 which is 15A. I will be sure to use that instead.

I now have a new question and only because I don't know how circuits really work and not because I plan on doing it. I cut off the relay, there are 2 inline fuses on wires that I won't be using. In theory, if I added one of the inline fuses with a 10A fuse, to the power wire of the 2 lights and then wired it to the 15A pre wired aux wire, would that increase it to a total of 25A for the circuit or would the 15A still be the max?

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Thank you both so much! So the next one up from 10A would be Aux2 which is 15A. I will be sure to use that instead.

I now have a new question and only because I don't know how circuits really work and not because I plan on doing it. I cut off the relay, there are 2 inline fuses on wires that I won't be using. In theory, if I added one of the inline fuses with a 10A fuse, to the power wire of the 2 lights and then wired it to the 15A pre wired aux wire, would that increase it to a total of 25A for the circuit or would the 15A still be the max?
15A is still the max. Actually, if you put a 10A fuse on the line to the lights your circuit is now a 10A, that fuse would blow first.

OP
OP
Get In The Bronco

Get In The Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Alright! Thank you!

Sponsored

MikeStLouis

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
GET IN: Did you complete your install? I posted, essentially, the same question A moment ago and hope to get answer. But if you cut your KC harness and installed it - I would LOVE to know exactly what you did And how it worked. Thanks SO much!

coreynj

Big Bend
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Chevy Silverado, 2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just did this install a week and a half ago. Pretty simple install, but a tad confusing until you jump in.

All you need is the proprietary connector that connects to each light and the black and red wire cut above where the yellow is introduced. Since the Aux Switch provides power you will attach that to red, then black gets ground anywhere under the hood. This picture should explain it:

Ford Bronco Adding KC lights with switches PXL_20220305_180145774

I trimmed to that location, installed the wire, then trimmed it to final length once I found my connection location. I used Yellow (Aux Switch 1 - 30Amps) since KC provided a 20 Amp fuse with this wire. I also grabbed ground right there.

Ford Bronco Adding KC lights with switches PXL_20220305_194734193
Sponsored