Sponsored

Adding rear sub without affecting on board door storage?

Coach.major

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

We haven't had a warm enough day to take the doors off yet so wondering who has and can tell me about cargo room? I have a 4 door with on board storage bags. I plan to use them frequently and wondering if it leaves any room to add a small sub enclosure? Thinking of adding a single 10 or 12" shallow mount or a box with 2 8" subs but wont to make sure I can carry the doors with me.

I have a small hideaway alpine sub in my jeep under the seat but no room in the Bronco with leather seats. The only other option seems to be a custom box in the rear wheel well which could get costly.
Sponsored

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're looking at a custom box in the rear passenger side panel where the factory B&O sub is installed.

With all four doors loaded in the back, you have approx ~3-4 inches of "comfortable" space on both the left and the right side, not much at all. The footprint of the doors is roughly the same size as if you draw a line between each of the lasso tie-down points.

You may be able to fit a custom box on the passenger side closet to the front of the vehicle. The rear driver-side door is the first door loaded into your Bronco, and the shape of the passenger doors may give you a little extra space. But it won't be much.

The Bronco Nation video and the post @Hossfire linked to should give you an idea of what you're looking at.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Coach.major

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You're looking at a custom box in the rear passenger side panel where the factory B&O sub is installed.

With all four doors loaded in the back, you have approx ~3-4 inches of "comfortable" space on both the left and the right side, not much at all. The footprint of the doors is roughly the same size as if you draw a line between each of the lasso tie-down points.

You may be able to fit a custom box on the passenger side closet to the front of the vehicle. The rear driver-side door is the first door loaded into your Bronco, and the shape of the passenger doors may give you a little extra space. But it won't be much.

The Bronco Nation video and the post @Hossfire linked to should give you an idea of what you're looking at.
I think I may have found a solution. I have an appointment Saturday with my audio guy to make some upgrades. Here is what I have planned.
swapping factory speakers to Memphis MOJO Pro
My guy says he has a few options on 5 channel amps to run everything

This is what I am adding in the back
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-EJFqa...xJb8G6oe49VpkKp6S41stwwjDdUb1cm0aAnmDEALw_wcB
It is only 6.125" tall laying down so I am hoping door could just sit right on top of it and still strap down. Do you think that will work?

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think I may have found a solution. I have an appointment Saturday with my audio guy to make some upgrades. Here is what I have planned.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-EJFqa...xJb8G6oe49VpkKp6S41stwwjDdUb1cm0aAnmDEALw_wcB
It is only 6.125" tall laying down so I am hoping door could just sit right on top of it and still strap down. Do you think that will work?
Each of the doors has points on it that are only a few inches away from the top halo. If you raise them up 6 inches it'll definitely hit that halo. But you may be able to position the box in such a way to allow you to put in the doors at an angle... maybe?

Ford Bronco Adding rear sub without affecting on board door storage? 1638393060300

Sponsored
OP
OP

Coach.major

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Each of the doors has points on it that are only a few inches away from the top halo. If you raise them up 6 inches it'll definitely hit that halo. But you may be able to position the box in such a way to allow you to put in the doors at an angle... maybe?

Ford Bronco Adding rear sub without affecting on board door storage? 1638393060300
I am thinking(hoping) if the doors will not fit on top of it I can stand the box up between the back of the rear seat and the first door bag...the way the rear seat leans back it should create a wedge gap large enough for the box to stand up in. I guess I can always sell it if it just isn't working and go back to the drawing board.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The rear driver-side door is the first door loaded into your Bronco
Off topic, but your post got me thinking. What if I only want to take the two front doors off? I don't know why it goes to trouble of taking all four doors off if it's just me.

I wonder if I can put just the front driver and front passenger doors in the back even if they're "out of order"

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Off topic, but your post got me thinking. What if I only want to take the two front doors off? I don't know why it goes to trouble of taking all four doors off if it's just me.

I wonder if I can put just the front driver and front passenger doors in the back even if they're "out of order"
Good question.

The pre-production harness I saw was clearly only intended for 4-doors. You can obviously just do two doors, but the harness Ford made specifically to secure the doors in the rear of the vehicle wouldn't work. So you'll have to come up with your own method to secure the doors.

Maybe they solved it for the production version?? Not sure. I doubt it though.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Good question.

The pre-production harness I saw was clearly only intended for 4-doors. You can obviously just do two doors, but the harness Ford made specifically to secure the doors in the rear of the vehicle wouldn't work. So you'll have to come up with your own method to secure the doors.

Maybe they solved it for the production version?? Not sure. I doubt it though.
Since it sounds like you've had the ability, and I'm still waiting on my Bronco, does the first bag have some sort of attachment that the others don't? Meaning could any of the doors be the first one in the back?

Otherwise I wonder if I could put the front driver or front passenger door into the rear driver door back since that's the first one that goes in.

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Let us know how it fits and sounds!

Sponsored
OP
OP

Coach.major

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So the work is done, the end result is not what I started out doing but the sound is amazing. We ended up installing the following after trying the MEMPHIS MOJO's and a set of JL Audios...neither would fit without modification.

Memphis PRX60C 6.5" components
Kicker 4" 47ksc40 in the dash and rear pods
Kicker 47TRTP122 down firing sub
Alpine S-A55V 5 channel amp powering everything

A couple of issues we ran into other than finding a set of components to install that would fit.
Just could not find a good place to put the amp. The shop felt comfortable they could get it under the passenger seat but after all of the wires were ran they couldn't make it work without cutting out the A/C vent or it protruding out into the rear floor board. We ended up moving it to the rear and it is mounted on the backside of the rear seat down at the bottom. I did not want to put it behind the plastic trim in the wheel well for access problems if adjustments need to be made. If I would have known upfront that the amp would not fit under the seat I would have installed the Kicker Key 200 behind the dash for the smaller speakers and a smaller mono block amp for the sub but I think I am ok with the location. It should not be a problem where it is and I didn't buy a Bronco as a hauling vehicle so no reason I should ever need to fold the seats flat to load anything. I can still lay the seats down but would just need to be careful around the amp when loading something.

The factory radio settings limit the bass to the rear speakers so we were getting a lot of bass in the front speakers. Ended up drilling a small hole in the space right beside the charger ports and installing a bass knob. To dial the sound in due to the the bass blocking issues bass on the audio settings had to be turned down to only about 30% and now the mids and highs sound amazing. The bass knob is up around 80% and with the lows of the 12" it really is a complete system.
I will try to snap a few pictures today.

End result is I still don't know if the doors will fit in the back with this sub box. I feel confident they will but the box may have to be stood up behind the seat and sandwiched between the seat and 1st door that goes in but I will not know for sure until I actually take them off and try it. If not, a custom box in the wheel well will be the next option.

Last edited:

BroncoBLCG

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So the work is done, the end result is not what I started out doing but the sound is amazing. We ended up installing the following after trying the MEMPHIS MOJO's and a set of JL Audios...neither would fit without modification.

A couple of issues we ran into other than finding a set of components to install that would fit.
Just could not find a good place to put the amp. The shop felt comfortable they could get it under the passenger seat but after all of the wires were ran they couldn't make it work without cutting out the A/C vent or it protruding out into the rear floor board. We ended up moving it to the rear and it is mounted on the backside of the rear seat down at the bottom. I did not want to put it behind the plastic trim in the wheel well for access problems if adjustments need to be made. If I would have known upfront that the amp would not fit under the seat I would have installed the Kicker Key 200 behind the dash for the smaller speakers and a smaller mono block amp for the sub but I think I am ok with the location. It should not be a problem where it is and I didn't buy a Bronco as a hauling vehicle so no reason I should ever need to fold the seats flat to load anything. I can still lay the seats down but would just need to be careful around the amp when loading something.

The factory radio settings limit the bass to the rear speakers so we were getting a lot of bass in the front speakers. Ended up drilling a small hole in the space right beside the charger ports and installing a bass knob. To dial the sound in due to the the bass blocking issues bass on the audio settings had to be turned down to only about 30% and now the mids and highs sound amazing. The bass knob is up around 80% and with the lows of the 12" it really is a complete system.

End result is I still don't know if the doors will fit in the back with this sub box. I feel confident they will but the box may have to be stood up behind the seat and sandwiched between the seat and 1st door that goes in but I will not know for sure until I actually take them off and try it. If not, a custom box in the wheel well will be the next option.
Which model JL's didnt fit? I was hopeful the C1's would.

BreezyNVegas

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

We haven't had a warm enough day to take the doors off yet so wondering who has and can tell me about cargo room? I have a 4 door with on board storage bags. I plan to use them frequently and wondering if it leaves any room to add a small sub enclosure? Thinking of adding a single 10 or 12" shallow mount or a box with 2 8" subs but wont to make sure I can carry the doors with me.

I have a small hideaway alpine sub in my jeep under the seat but no room in the Bronco with leather seats. The only other option seems to be a custom box in the rear wheel well which could get costly.
I've taken all 4 doors off and stored them in the back. There's no extra space. I'll probably never try it again. I'll leave the doors in the garage. The Bronco Nation video is a lie!

Goneboy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Small Handful
Your Bronco Model
Base

Do you have pics of the trunk with the sub and amp installed?

Also, are you running the dash and kick panels in parallel via the amp front channel?
Sponsored