Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok, I admit I am a total newb to towing so this maybe a dumb question. After removing the tow package option (with hopes of getting my Bronco sooner), I realized I actually needed it now that I want to do some light trailer camping. Thus 2 months after receiving my Bronco I went back to the my dealership and had them install the Ford Hitch and 4 Pin wiring harness. At the time I didn't realize that many of the campers that are less than 3500 lbs still require a 7-Pin and many are saying a brake controller (at least these Airstream models I am looking at). I understand I can buy an adaptor to overcome the 4 to 7-pin issue but that doesn't include brake controller. The dealership thought a brake controller was overkill for a 3,500 towing capacity vehicle but now realize I should have done more research, especially since the labor to install the 4-pin was so high! Now I am looking at having to pay that twice, or do I...?

I am no expert on what the 7 pin requires for a connection but is it possible that the hard work has already been done by the dealer and the 7-pin can piggy back off the wiring for the 4 Pin (so labor is much lower)? I can add a brake controller but would that require removing the seats like the 4 pin supposedly did to connect certain wiring harnesses? I am actually handy with wiring and would have no problem bringing the switch/controller for the brake controller into the front dash area, if that is all it takes. I actually want to rent something next Friday so feel I am running out of time fast. Learn the hard way they say. Just hoping all I have to do is buy that Ford brake controller or aftermarket equivalent and not have to go back to the dealer!
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm with you. I actually just posted on a different thread asking about aftermarket brake controllers. A lot of Wrangler folks seem to be installing a brake controller called Tekonsha P3.

Basically, there are brake controllers out there that apply the brakes based on inertia. Now it won't work as well off-road, but for on-road it's actually supposed to work pretty good.

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm with you. I actually just posted on a different thread asking about aftermarket brake controllers. A lot of Wrangler folks seem to be installing a brake controller called Tekonsha P3.

Basically, there are brake controllers out there that apply the brakes based on inertia. Now it won't work as well off-road, but for on-road it's actually supposed to work pretty good.
That sounds interesting. I think I would mostly want this for onroad anyway!

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That sounds interesting. I think I would mostly want this for onroad anyway!
Most controllers have a manual switch to apply trailer brakes full. But the underlying idea is that a trailer that is only registered for a max weight of 3500# and is single axle is not required by law to have on road brakes

Here How to Add 7-Way Wiring on a 2021 Ford Bronco | etrailer.com how to add 7 pin to 4 that you have.

An alternative? Buy a trailer with inertia brakes - (check your local U-haul rental trailers for examples of these - brakes will work with no electricity necessary)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most controllers have a manual switch to apply trailer brakes full. But the underlying idea is that a trailer that is only registered for a max weight of 3500# and is single axle is not required by law to have on road brakes

Here How to Add 7-Way Wiring on a 2021 Ford Bronco | etrailer.com how to add 7 pin to 4 that you have.

An alternative? Buy a trailer with inertia brakes - (check your local U-haul rental trailers for examples of these - brakes will work with no electricity necessary)
What about something like this, since the 4-pin is already installed?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZFQRZ...=plJW8&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0_title

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We really need to look up the state (maybe including states you'd be traveling through).

In California, the weight is 1,500 lbs. Pretty easy to go over that with anything other than a minor utility trailer.
Sponsored