Ciara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2023
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hello all,

I would like some insight as this is my first off-road vehicle. I would like to know what I can do with my black diamond 2023 4D. I want to keep it moderated as I dont want to do a major build. I won’t be doing any off-roading with it.

I would like to keep my stock wheels.

What size tire will I be able to run without regearing? Or feeling major lag? I’m thinking of running a 33’. Is it possible to run a 35’ without a regear?

Also, what lift kits won’t break the bank that are quality that come in a completed kit? I would want to run a 2-3” lift.

Thanks!!!!
Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Welcome, Ciara. Your BD has 4.46 rear gear and is more than capable as it is from the factory to tackle the trails. Don't fall in the trap that modifications are necessary as you'll become paralyzed in never venturing off road.

If you want to keep your stock wheels with the +55 offset, you will be limited by the size of the tire. The majority of 33's (285/75R17) will fit with no modifications and will be fine. If you want a 35 on the stock wheels than you have to look at tall and skinny tires such as Kenda Klevor which come in a 10.5" width tire or a Mickey T Baja Boss in 255/85R17 which is only 10" wide.

I would suggest not heading down the lift rabbit hole (yet) until you spend some time behind the wheel to get a feel what your Black Diamond is capable of. If/When you are ready for a lift, there is plenty to read in the Suspension sub-forum.

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
To answer your other question, 33s or 35s would both be drivable from an acceleration point of view. With 33s I doubt you notice any difference. With 35s you will lose a little acceleration, but it will still be very drivable.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Definitely possible to run 35s without regearing - your limit is going to be what you can find to fit on stock rims. @Beach_Bum has soon good ideas for that.

I run 35s on the 4.46 - acceleration is absolutely fantastic despite the larger tires. It does make 6th gear kind of useless though - the 2.3 has to sit in boost all the time so 5th gear gets better mileage. If you aren’t wheeling hard you could probably get away with 37s on the 4.46, but there you are getting into needing the lift and new wheels and stuff that start to compound.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hello all,

I would like some insight as this is my first off-road vehicle. I would like to know what I can do with my black diamond 2023 4D. I want to keep it moderated as I dont want to do a major build. I won’t be doing any off-roading with it.

I would like to keep my stock wheels.

What size tire will I be able to run without regearing? Or feeling major lag? I’m thinking of running a 33’. Is it possible to run a 35’ without a regear?

Also, what lift kits won’t break the bank that are quality that come in a completed kit? I would want to run a 2-3” lift.

Thanks!!!!
welcome
2021 area51 4dr sas bd softy all factory stock
i say keep it simple
my upgrades no cosmetics except tints
tie rod upgrade bronco buster
k&n full air induction
borla full exhaust
blow off valve
35" mickey boss at
i wheel hard mud trails sand rock not so much as the body bangs make me sweat lol
keep it simple go with the pros ...have fun

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you're not going to off road it and want some simple upgrades, go with pizza cutters (taller but thinner) tires like the Kenda Klevor or Mickey Thompson Baja Boss tires mentioned above. If you won't be off roading, look at a small lift like a puck or body lift, which are inexpensive but give the tire clearance in the well.

However, my recommendation is to go with the Ford Performance Bilstein 5112's and get them installed by a dealer (instead of a puck or body lift). You get the Ford warranty and 2" of lift. Then you can go pizza cutters or change the rims to some 17x8.5's and get a wider tire. Stay C-rated too, to keep the right softer. You improve the ride (the Hitachi shocks you have aren't great), plus you get that nice little lift that makes all the difference.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-18000-B1

Oh yeah, you don't need a regear, and personally I'd suggest staying 35 or below. 35's are big tires and your problems multiply going bigger.

Last edited: