First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Black Diamond Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a 2023 Bronco Black Diamond in Oxford White. Over the years, I've installed vent shades, hood protectors, door sills, etc. on all my vehicles. Only once have the kits included a "surface prep" packet - usually it's the typical alcohol prep pad and it has always been sufficient.

Today I took delivery of the Aeroskin II that I ordered through Ford Accessories. I had watched multiple times the YouTube videos and the install looked simple and straightforward. These are the steps I took and I hoping someone can tell me if I did something wrong.

1) Unpacked and made sure kit was complete (It was)
2) Dry fit it and marked the location with blue painters tape
3) Alcohol pad # 1 - Gently wiped the entire mounting area, twice over and let it air dry
4) Alcohol pad # 2 -Gently wiped the entire mounting area, twice over and let it air dry
5) Surface prep pad - I didn't have rubber gloves as recommended so I used a baggie to protect my skin. I gently wiped the entire mounting area, twice over and let it air dry. On the last pass, I felt a little resistance as if the pad had doubled over on itself. Upon closer inspection, I could see yellow streaks in the white paint so I stopped. The section is about 1" wide and about 6" long. (If I damaged the paint, fortunately it is underneath the hood protector where it can't be seen but I know it's there)

It's been bugging me ever since. I took a closer look at the baggie I used and other than feeling a little brittle, it was not broken and showed no signs of any type of chemical reaction.

What did I do wrong and what have I done to the paint? I'm not going to remove the hood protector to further investigate the issue.

Any suggestions? Be kind, I feel bad enough already.
Sponsored

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Pictures?

OP
OP
Lej512

Lej512

Black Diamond
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Black Diamond Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I can provide a photo of the hood protector. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the streaks. I'm not removing it now.

U P D A T E - I found another thread and clearly a lot of people have experienced the same problem. Fortunately, it appears that it is not paint damage but some kind of residue from the pad. It can be 95% corrected with rain-X detailer, goo gone or something similar. That makes me feel a little better. Still pisses me off though.

IMG_2671 (Small).jpg

Last edited:

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It's probably just wax that the adhesion promoter has pulled off from the clear coat - which is what you wanted it to do for you. I use that stuff all the time and haven't had any issues with it damaging paint jobs or plastic. I won't say it couldn't do it, but I've not seen it happen yet.
Sponsored