Sponsored

Aftermarket OBD?!? Help determining purpose.

smahones

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bought a “used” Bronco with 200 miles on it in another state. I went to the local dealer to have a second key made and was informed my vehicle has an aftermarket OBD where the original should be. They had no idea what is does.

the aftermarket OBD runs to the original OBD but has two wires (purple and black) that go off to another area.

can anyone let me know what this might do? I’m attaching pictures.
Ford Bronco Aftermarket OBD?!? Help determining purpose. 7AE9554B-880C-4FCF-A453-3590B8956645
Ford Bronco Aftermarket OBD?!? Help determining purpose. E98C3634-614A-49DC-8129-E55EDCF10A5D
Ford Bronco Aftermarket OBD?!? Help determining purpose. 14C1C97D-802D-4933-832D-806712E64DAF
Ford Bronco Aftermarket OBD?!? Help determining purpose. 495786A8-8732-4600-8EC9-AAC57E17012F
Ford Bronco Aftermarket OBD?!? Help determining purpose. 7AE9554B-880C-4FCF-A453-3590B8956645
Sponsored

jp9901

Black Diamond
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ford bronco black diamond, 02 dodge dakota slt
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The connector its wired into appears to be the auto start stop plug. Could be they disabled it by pulling power from the obd2?

EDIT: essentially they are either applying voltage to the right pins or grounding themout so that it thinks the button is always enabled. I guess its a simple test has your auto on/off still been shutting down the vehicle.

OP
OP
smahones

smahones

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Auto on off still works as normal.

OP
OP
smahones

smahones

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The connector its wired into appears to be the auto start stop plug. Could be they disabled it by pulling power from the obd2?

EDIT: essentially they are either applying voltage to the right pins or grounding themout so that it thinks the button is always enabled. I guess its a simple test has your auto on/off still been shutting down the vehicle.
Any idea what I would do to undo this?

jp9901

Black Diamond
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am basing the connector off the auto start stop eliminator that is available here.
https://www.autostopeliminator.com/collections/ford/products/2021-ford-bronco-autostop-eliminator

They have a video detailing how to get to where the connector that has the wires tapped into it should be installed. I am under the impression you would be able to just cut the wires from you OBD2 though. I imagine they were just stealing the 12V rail from Pin 15/16 on the OBD2.

Not sure why someone would want to go that route, but I have seen worse haha. Anything to save money I guess. Shouldn't damage anything if you leave it like that. It will just giver your mechanic a bit of heartache. Don't have to leave it that way though.

Sponsored

Montague19??

Base
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
My work van has a second OBD pig tailed off of the original, it is to operate the tracking features ( GPS, braking alerts, acceleration, alert, speeding, idle time. ) like what you can get from some insurance companies. I know dealers are adding these monitors to build up the ADM sticker. The one on my work van plugs into the second OBD. I would track the wire to see where it goes.

jp9901

Black Diamond
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree with montague, hard to tell where its going. If you can trace it great. I think you may have something behind the AC panel, which is the same location your auto/start stop would be hooked up anyway. They used a very common connector.

OP
OP
smahones

smahones

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like it could be a tracker. Some dealers add them to make repos easier.
That was exactly it…a Kahu system. The dumb dealer finally admitted what it was. Took about 5 minutes to remove once I knew what I was looking for and doing.

I’m not sure why the wouldn’t fess up right away. Here is a pic.
Ford Bronco Aftermarket OBD?!? Help determining purpose. F63E7551-B0F3-4473-A78B-C79651804AB4

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 F100, 56 CJ5, 11 F250, 17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Offer to sell it back to them