Sponsored

Anyone buy a non-practical model on purpose?

OP
OP

nick112288

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is a want/need.

Current truck runs fine. Just old and I'm tired of parking a full size truck in the city when I go to work. Plus it's 2wd and just sucks on the occasion we get real snow.

2 door Bronco is definitely a want. I've always driven the secondary/not so nice vehicle so my wife's vehicle/family vehicle is nice and reliable.

The way Ford priced the 2 door base makes it very easy for us to be able to afford 2 new vehicles

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Three kids here, and I have driven a Mustang for most of that time.
Wife has an Expedition. (or had, she just got an F-150 Crew Cab in April)

If we need to take everyone, we just take her car.
I'm ordering a 2-Door.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the 2 door is what, like $2500 cheaper? If the day comes when you need to take a bronco with everyone for off-roading, rent one. I would wager that such a day never comes. The number of Bronco buyers who couldn't make due with a more practical vehicle is low, like get out the microscope to see it low.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My entire child rearing days were spent chasing the right truck. Had a Ford Ranger 4x4 with two kids under four. Moved up to an extended cab F150, as they were growing. When taking adult friends to hockey practice or games, the dudes riding in the back seats had it rough. Finally went F 150 4x4 crew cab. Now, only the wife and I ride in it. The dogs are the only rear passengers. Moral of the story,you will never nail it so just buy what you want.

Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I sat in my dealers 4-Door mannequin yesterday.

After seeing/feeling how cramped the drivers seat is in the 4-door due to the location of the B-pillar, there is no way I would be happy driving the 4-door as a daily driver.

Plus I'm not paying an extra 8 grand to get a 4-door
(because if it does not have a manual I'm not buying period)

yeffaham

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition Max, 1999 Range Rover
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'm not sure how practical the rear seat is for 3 in the 4 door anyway. Maybe in a pinch but I'm guessing if you put 3 kids there for more than 15min you'll be wishing you had taken the minivan.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My 2dr isn't the family car. We all still fit at least, but we'll all be in it maybe 10% of it's total usage, so I choose aesthetics over practically.

FlyingBronco

Badlands
First Name
The Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I have a dilemma right now. I thankfully I have plenty of time to think about it because the Mansquatch isn't a thing yet.

I REALLY want a 2 door model. While I don't think the 4 looks bad, I just feel the 2 door looks better/closer to the original. Problem is we're a family of 5.

Now I discussed it with the wife and she said she doesn't think it would really be an issue because for hauling everyone we have her minivan. Plus the plan is for this to replace my daily commuter, which I can honestly say in the last 4 years I don't think my wife has rode in? Just me taking or picking the kids up from school then to and from work.

My father managed to make a 4 seat convertible his daily vehicle for years and years despite us being a family of 9, because my mom drove a Ford E350.

I know going by what 99.99% of my driving will be that I can do it, I just keep getting this feeling in the back of my mind of those occasions where we want to do an evening or weekend drive with the top off but I wouldn't be able to fit everyone.

Of course the other thing going for me is at this point by the time I can actually get one my daughter should be old enough and in the phase of wanting nothing to do with my wife and myself......
Get the 2-door like you've always wanted, you will be happy you did. And instead of thinking about the rare occasion of the whole family wanting to ride, think of it as a vehicle to build individual bonds with your family members. Just you and one of your kids or your wife, top off, not having to worry about the whole clan, freedom baby! You have the minivan for those trips with the whole family.

I would also say the Bronco is not practical for my situation since I am about to get a company vehicle which would save me a lot of money on a vehicle, insurance, registration, gas... but damnit do I love driving and exploring. My Badlands will see pavement to and from the trailhead, an expensive toy but I can't wait for the memories. The passion for cars is becoming more and more rare with all the fuel efficient cross-overs and what not. Yes I drive an Outback and wow is it boring. Had some fun cars before but a boring car makes you avoid driving altogether, can't have that.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Want not need. A Subaru Outback could do 90% of what I need.
I Still don’t want one.
Didn't want the one I had after awhile.... gave it ti the wife, ordered a Bronco for me. LOL!

OP, I went with a 2dr in order to force the issue that my daily commuter would be exactly that...mine.
I was constantly loading and unloading my work crap out of the Oitback to make room for groceries or luggage for a trip etc etc. Then if I forgot something, it just made it difficult at work.
So, in that aspect, a 2 dr will work.
Top/doors off weekends around town, the 2dr will be fun.

I intend to do a few weekend wheeling trips a year...small local-ish stuff ....PROBABLY.

It's the probably that gets me ... if we decide to take a week and wheel Colorado or whereever, even though we are only 3 , the 2 dr will be TIGHT on space .... plus el kiddo may want to bring a friend ....or if we bring the dog ...that's 4 or 5.
I ordered a 2dr ....if it's not working, I'll order a 4dr later on.
They'll be making more ... (we hope).

(shhh ... in secret, the end goal is to get a 4dr for HoosierMomma pretty soon after mine gets here, maybe Squatch that one out and have a VERY capable family offroader/ family truckster)

Sponsored

mjopp

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I sold my 4 door GTI to make room for a 2 door. No regrets so far, but its just me, my wife, and our dog. I used to daily drive an all black 2 door Ram 1500 (2wd though) and desperately wanted to get back to the 2 door look on a truck. Despite the marketing being relatively equal parts 2 door vs 4 door, Wrangler sales and take rate numbers on Broncos so far show that there will be so many more 4 doors than 2 doors. Super happy with a much more unique build.

I'm also always jealous of 2 doors out on the trails. Never felt like a 2 door was necessary to finish any one trail, but the tighter turning and better angles had me locked in on a 2 door build.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My 2dr isn't the family car. We all still fit at least, but we'll all be in it maybe 10% of it's total usage, so I choose aesthetics over practically.
Yeah, but for top/doors off fun staying local... the kids will have a blast being jammmed in there.
We sometimes forget how differently kids think about what is fun..... they enjoy being cramped into small spaces, like 3 up in the backseat of a Bronco and go tooting around town.

a 2 week road trip ...maybe not so much.

Are there even 3 seat belt set ups in the back of a 2dr????

bronco_maybe

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox(company car), Silverado Z71, Elantra GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Have you sat in the two door? Local dealer has a 2-door Wildtrack mannequin and I checked it out. It was a bit of a shock to me, much smaller feeling inside than anticipated, both passenger and cargo space. I'm also a family of five but with two on the way out to college. Even so, I couldn't make the two door work for our family. YMMV