Sponsored

Best GOAT mode for all purpose off-roading?

Jwalker2244

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This might be a dumb question but I was wondering what the best goat mode for general off-roading would be? I have a 23 Wildtrak that I got a few weeks ago and will be taking it out for the first time soon and am not sure how much the goat modes really matter. For example if I’m doing general off-road trail riding at medium speeds (15-30 mph ish) with some light mud/ruts/rocks along the way would Baja be the best option? Or mud or even normal in 4h? I know it probabaly doesn’t matter that much but just seeing what other people are doing

Also in that same vein being that I don’t have the rock crawling mode which is the best mode to be in for your typical slow rock crawling scenarios in a Wildtrak?
Sponsored

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 F100, 56 CJ5, 11 F250, 17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m voting for Mud and Ruts.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don’t use any goat modes. I put it in 4 hi, 4 low, lockers, etc when I need them.

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You may be driving slower than you think across those obstacles. When I did the Off-Roadeo in Texas we stayed in regular 4L the entire day until the end, no special goat mode at all. I think they said 4 Low can get up to like 45mph. If slippery rocks trip you up engage a locker.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess whatever GOAT mode turns on 4-Auto? Sport mode I think?

I’ll be honest, when I off-road I’m in 2-High 75% of the time. Like @kodiakisland, I never use GOAT modes, and just switch the transfer case myself as necessary. I almost never use 4-Auto, but in theory 4-Auto would be in 2-High most of the time and automatically switch to 4-High as needed. Which best describes what I do myself, just manually.

Sponsored

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Honestly, it really depends on what you are getting into and how much pedal... Oh, and if you're wheeling alone or another Bronco!!!👍

I'm in 2H until more traction is needed. I'm at the shore, dirt roads, sand, and puddles. I have to travel for rocks and climbing for more JOY n Challenges....🤩

sjjohnny

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Black Diamond, '00 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You are in Texas, by all means attend Off-Roadeo in Marble Falls. You'll learn lots and it is a blast.

Combustion_King

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most of my trails are slow rock, mud, hills, rock gardens etc. i put it in rock crawl, just bc its easy to do and i have it, i dont mid the softer pedal and sterring for the slow riding im doing, and it also turns on my camera and lockers etc.

for what your describing, if you want to use a mode, id say mud and ruts, or just 4A

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
This is why GOAT modes are just dumb

I tend to switch to mud and ruts and then turn the rear locker back off.

I only switch modes so I can have the cameras on, otherwise I would just use normal mode...but Ford decided you can't have cameras in normal mode 🙄

Sponsored

nhmountainman

Badlands
First Name
Kman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Chevy 2500 Duramax 2018 BMW 340 2016 Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I vote 4L and lockers as needed. Haven’t used any goat modes.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree with RagnarKon. When off road, I’m generally in NORMAL 2H. My criteria for 4H and 4L is steep climbs or descents, places where other idiots have obviously torn the crap out of the trail, or when I think there is a likely hood of getting stuck or when I am actually stuck. I am retired but started “OFF Roading” (JEEPING….) In High School. So, I think I have a pretty good idea of what is needed in a particular situation. But, that is the fun of Off Roading…..assessing and challenging the terrain. However, like everything else there are a hundred correct answers.

Now-a-days, I’m concerned that we are tearing the crap out of our pristine environments and trails. This can’t continue in perpetuity…. So, I do use 4H, 4L and lockers when I think those selections will minimize trail damage, even though they may not be required.

I’m not big on the GOAT Modes, but I appreciate their Steering, Shift, and Throttle modifications that they force. I do use ROCK CRAWL when needed. It seems easy to stop, shift to neutral, and then swipe the GOAT dial until you are there. Seems just as easy to hit the 4L button though. I do wish the stabilizer bar disconnect was available in two wheel drive, up to whatever speed limit FORD could tolerate. Why not?

Learn about your Bronco. It will take you to some amazing places (as will a Jeep, Toyota, Land Rover, etc.).

Fivefingerheist

Badlands
First Name
FFH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, 4-D, Non-SAS, 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I only switch modes so I can have the cameras on, otherwise I would just use normal mode...but Ford decided you can't have cameras in normal mode 🙄
On the contrary, if the end result is the same. All you are really doing is pressing one more button for camera view. Compared to if it has a dedicated button.

Combustion_King

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

just hit the camera button and they will turn on when your going slow. Not sure if the speed to turn them back off is the same as it would be in one of the goat modes though

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Honestly I never use them. I learned and enjoyed without that stuff. When I hit trails and obstacles in the PW it is mostly in 2W for the majority and then the levels of 4wd as needed and lockers as required.

This may be a personal stigma of mine, but having those 'silly' modes in my old 2013 Explorer was a joke. They did nothing.
Sponsored