Sponsored

Why does badlands have the Baja goat mode if it was not designed for high speed off-roading? (No HOSS 3.0)?

thewodg

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I got mine up to 55 on Cape Cod National Seashore. Donuts, too. (Don't tell the National Park Service!)
I'm taking mine out there next month. Did you air down to the recommended 11 psi?

(I have a badsquatch like you.)
Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

'21 Badlands Sas 2.7

I find a big difference between the modes. On my commute I'll spin between Eco (comfort), Normal, Sport, and Baja 2WD (race) depending on my mood.
On gravel roads, Baja 4WD is rally mode. It's easy to top 60mph and fun to unload the suspension cresting the undulations. Closed course and professional driver, of course.
Baja mode is a bit much if there are other cars around. Mine will hold 4500+ rpm all day. Sport is much tamer.

Besides controlling shifting, the modes control throttle input sensitivity and the 3 mode steering.

I need to spend more time offroad with the Bronco, but I usually find it easiest to use the rock crawl mode for 4L + sway bar disconnect and turn off the locker until an obstacle.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven't gotten my Bronco yet. Can you put the car into Baja mode but also shut off 4H and stick it in 4A? Essentially making it Sport mode? Or is it stuck in 4H?

That's definitely not a thing.
No 4A in Baja mode, but you can run 2WD.
I used to want 4A in Baja mode, but now I think Baja mode would tear up the transfer case in 4A.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

[QUOT
Why does badlands have the Baja goat mode if it was not designed for high speed off-roading? (No HOSS 3.0)?
the 2.3L badlands bronco with 7 speed seems to be doing just fine at high speed off-roading w/ the vehicle's designer in Europe'

starting at ~ 5:25

TonkaTruck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Putting it in Baja and manually back into 2H makes it behave like sport mode.
Sport Mode runs in 4A.
If you haven’t added it yet on the Badlands via Forscan, I highly recommend it. It’s a lot of fun to drive, especially with the 2.7L.

Sponsored

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Because CoVID eff’ed up the entire development & launch plan and Ford pulled 257 audibles.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm taking mine out there next month. Did you air down to the recommended 11 psi?

(I have a badsquatch like you.)
NPS actually recommends 10 psi. I was at 11, I think. It was a pretty raw day: mid-50s, misty, overcast, and nobody around, except for a small cluster of brave hearts at the opening of a vehicle path from pavement to beach.
So, no humans, nesting birds or turtles, I hit the accelerator good and hard. Probably won't be able to try that again until November!
Message me when you go--maybe we can meet up. My (adult) daughter would like a couple of days there, plus a camp-out. I'm likely to plan for a Sunday afternoon, late, into Tuesday--smaller crowds.
Edit: They have air pumps at select sites, but there are other access points to the sand which don't have air pumps, making an on-board compressor (which I have) very handy.

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sport Mode runs in 4A.
If you haven’t added it yet on the Badlands via Forscan, I highly recommend it. It’s a lot of fun to drive, especially with the 2.7L.
Behaves as in RPMs kept high once underway.

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think Baja is more of a advertising mode than anything. Driving in actual Baja California , Baja mode after hundreds of miles consumes more fuel and generates excess heat on the drive train. I found the best performance in normal mode 2wd with the rear locker engaged.

MEAT_GOD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco 2dr, 15 Maserati Quattroporte
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You will hardly ever want to use it unless you are really pounding on the Bronco. Baja mode is very aggressive, and basically, is more like "rally car mode". It avoids turbo lag at all costs and really holds on to the gears.

I would argue that it is truly designed as a racing mode at the expense of long term durability. Sport mode, the Bronco will do fine for 100k miles, but I wouldn't be surprised if Baja mode decreased the life of the drive train by 1/2 or more, it's just that aggressive. Now, I don't have any data to back that up, and it's quite possible that it would make no difference in durability (engine, turbos, and transmission specifically), but the only people who would really know are Ford engineers.

If it makes no difference, then that would really speak to the toughness of the engine, turbos, and transmission (as well as the refinement of the engine management).
I tend to push my Bronco to its absolute limits. I've already gotten it sunken in a sea bed once before, and nearly had it get shot at by battle tanks. I think you just further sold me the Baja mode.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I tend to push my Bronco to its absolute limits. I've already gotten it sunken in a sea bed once before, and nearly had it get shot at by battle tanks. I think you just further sold me the Baja mode.
Then you will likely love it... I will admit, it's a blast!

KermitBronco

Badlands
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I spoke with Ford Bronco Project Manager at Bronco Safari that it is STUPID to reconnect the sway bar at 20mph for Baja Mode. It's useless because Baja Mode wants to be at a minimum of 35 mph (and is insane at 45 mph!). He agrees fully and, even shared how the BRaptor stays disconnected all the way up to 50 MPH!!! This is my #1 pet peeve with the Bronco and hoping this gets solved with future updates. I'm going to be keep fighting the good fight on this. And for those who haven't tried it out Baja Mode at 45 mph, shame on you! :):):)

Ford Bronco Why does badlands have the Baja goat mode if it was not designed for high speed off-roading? (No HOSS 3.0)? WR10 Kermit

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The way someone drives in rain or ice is very different than the way someone drives in sand. In sand, if you slow down, you get stuck.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I use Baja for 4H off-road as it uses the front cameras. If I need to use rock crawl then that's the other one.
Sponsored