Sponsored

Best GOAT mode for all purpose off-roading?

BroncoTrail

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't use the GOAT modes. I switch often between 4A, 4Lo, and 4Hi. I always have the sway bar disconnected if in the latter two. Switch lockers on and off as necessary.

In 4A and 4Hi I will put it into Manual mode if I'm on a hill and shift through the gears accordingly.

Imonamoose

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The goat modes are an idiot proofing mechanism to make the rig comercially palatable and understandable to the inexperienced masses. You can accomplish all of the same things and controls by just knowing what you need and accessing the corresponding buttons. Think of goat modes as a preset setting for all the different choices of vehicle control.

If you run mud/rut it will lock your rear dif and give you 4hi which will literally get you over 98% of anything you come accross on a map listed manicured 4x4 trail.

Your pony has so much capability when everything is working right. Go explore and experiment. Have some fun and learn some life skills. My gf has learned practically about her jeeps mechanical differentials and sway bar by seeing the modern electronic parts in application on my bronc. It's a nice intro.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Agrod

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I use Mud/Ruts for everything and switch lockers and 4H/4L depending on the terrain or speed. The reason behind this is to be able to use the cameras on the screen while maneuvering.

I use Sand in sand and tried Baja in a long sandy road but the shift points are ridiculous. I ended up using sport in 4A and it was awesome.

Sponsored

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This might be a dumb question but I was wondering what the best goat mode for general off-roading would be? I have a 23 Wildtrak that I got a few weeks ago and will be taking it out for the first time soon and am not sure how much the goat modes really matter. For example if I’m doing general off-road trail riding at medium speeds (15-30 mph ish) with some light mud/ruts/rocks along the way would Baja be the best option? Or mud or even normal in 4h? I know it probabaly doesn’t matter that much but just seeing what other people are doing

Also in that same vein being that I don’t have the rock crawling mode which is the best mode to be in for your typical slow rock crawling scenarios in a Wildtrak?
i prefer going manual and locking when needed mud rocks etc.
all purpose id say 4h no traction control that speed as you mentioned your needs

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Awesome thanks everyone!
If you haven't already - RUN, don't walk to the nearest Bronco Off-Roadeo. You'll get a load of experience with a Bronco on way tougher trails than you ever think you'd try with that new Wildtrak. The trail guides at ours were chock full of helpful hints for the various 'stuck' situations we ended up in. It was very informative, and we went away with a new appreciation for the capabilities of this Bronco.

BTW - we stayed in 4L all day there. Adding Lockers when needed. (We had a 2 dr Wildtrak there as well, so no sway bar disconnect available - didn't miss it.) I added 'Rock Crawl' to my WT with Forscan, but now, that's just a novelty - having all the G.O.A.T. modes available.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Never used a Goat Mode and never will.

Normal, turn on 4H or 4L if needed. Turn off traction control as soon as you are on dirt/gravel.

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 F100, 56 CJ5, 11 F250, 17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The goat modes are an idiot proofing mechanism to make the rig comercially palatable and understandable to the inexperienced masses. You can accomplish all of the same things and controls by just knowing what you need and accessing the corresponding buttons. Think of goat modes as a preset setting for all the different choices of vehicle control.

If you run mud/rut it will lock your rear dif and give you 4hi which will literally get you over 98% of anything you come accross on a map listed manicured 4x4 trail.

Your pony has so much capability when everything is working right. Go explore and experiment. Have some fun and learn some life skills. My gf has learned practically about her jeeps mechanical differentials and sway bar by seeing the modern electronic parts in application on my bronc. It's a nice intro.

Hope that helps.
Mud and ruts also turns traction cont off!!!

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

At the speeds you mentioned Normal 2H or 4H as traction dictates, or 4A if you've got it. 4L if speeds are running less than 15 mph or so with rocks or other roughness, don't be afraid to use 4L, you paid for it and it's easier on an auto trans at slow speed high load situations. I haven't used modes other than to test when I bought it, I don't like them. There's always something I want different than the mode default anyway. Probably don't want locker unless needed and may wany low range in some mode that 4L is not the default. Now if I ever hit some true dunes I might try Sand just for giggles, and maybe Mud Ruts for some knarly stuff I might encounter hunting.

Sponsored

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

No need for GOAT modes. 2H/4A will do basically everything you've described. If you need more traction at 15-30 mph (deep sand, for example) 4H will give you that without the slight delay from the clutch packs you get in 4A, and the rear locker turns it into a sand beast.

TonkaTruck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You all that won’t touch the goat modes are missing out on more than just automatic selection of 4wd and lockers.
Shift points, turbo lag, and all of the 360 camera functionality change with the selection of the modes.

KosmicKid

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco OBX '14 Jaguar XFR-S 18 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As I was taught by a wise old guys years ago: drive as far as you can in 2H, then 4H then 4L and get the hell out of there of course that only applies to mud/snow/sand
Personally with the Bronco I just leave it in 4A until I need 4L and either do that manually or play around with a GOAT mode

Canyon Coolers

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
canyoncoolers.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco, Dodge 2500, Sprinter Van
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I love Baja mode for faster stuff, it also allows for some wheel slip, spools the turbo's up and still provides some drivetrain protection.

For 20mph or less I like Trail Control as it just makes things more fluid and less draining. That might be in 'Mud and Ruts' or just 4A.

You can use the GOAT modes or manual over rides to control the amount of wheel slip you want, acceleration, steering input. I think calling them idiot modes is harsh, but they are there to protect the vehicle, enhance the experience, and hopefully protect the occupants and prevent unneeded breakage.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
You all that won’t touch the goat modes are missing out on more than just automatic selection of 4wd and lockers.
Shift points, turbo lag, and all of the 360 camera functionality change with the selection of the modes.
Demonstrably not true.

Shift points are determined by when I move the lever.
Turbo lag is inherent to the spool rate of the turbos
What cameras? :cool:
Sponsored