Sponsored

Why does badlands have the Baja goat mode if it was not designed for high speed off-roading? (No HOSS 3.0)?

thewodg

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
NPS actually recommends 10 psi. I was at 11, I think. It was a pretty raw day: mid-50s, misty, overcast, and nobody around, except for a small cluster of brave hearts at the opening of a vehicle path from pavement to beach.
So, no humans, nesting birds or turtles, I hit the accelerator good and hard. Probably won't be able to try that again until November!
Message me when you go--maybe we can meet up. My (adult) daughter would like a couple of days there, plus a camp-out. I'm likely to plan for a Sunday afternoon, late, into Tuesday--smaller crowds.
Edit: They have air pumps at select sites, but there are other access points to the sand which don't have air pumps, making an on-board compressor (which I have) very handy.
Thanks for the info! I'll shoot you a message.
Sponsored

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
As far as Sport Mode goes, I've found that I after I take it out of AWD, it is really good for towing my 6x12 Cargo Conversion. Better fuel economy, SOTP performance, etc. Sand Mode seems pretty sporty off road, and the locker can be turned off when it's not needed.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

As far as Sport Mode goes, I've found that I after I take it out of AWD, it is really good for towing my 6x12 Cargo Conversion. Better fuel economy, SOTP performance, etc. Sand Mode seems pretty sporty off road, and the locker can be turned off when it's not needed.
Sport is similar to the tow/haul button on most trucks, I've always used sport in 2WD for towing a trailer on trips that involve elevation changes. Flat interstate driving it doesn't make much of a difference.

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You will hardly ever want to use it unless you are really pounding on the Bronco. Baja mode is very aggressive, and basically, is more like "rally car mode". It avoids turbo lag at all costs and really holds on to the gears.

I would argue that it is truly designed as a racing mode at the expense of long term durability. Sport mode, the Bronco will do fine for 100k miles, but I wouldn't be surprised if Baja mode decreased the life of the drive train by 1/2 or more, it's just that aggressive. Now, I don't have any data to back that up, and it's quite possible that it would make no difference in durability (engine, turbos, and transmission specifically), but the only people who would really know are Ford engineers.

If it makes no difference, then that would really speak to the toughness of the engine, turbos, and transmission (as well as the refinement of the engine management).
It's true that there are no free lunches. But, my instincts are that if you remain on loose surfaces the risks of using Baja mode should be fairly low. Caveat; racing and driving like you're racing is always hard on a vehicle no matter what mode you're in. Jumping in particular is going to be risky. But running down the sand in Baja, 2WD, 2nd gear, high rpm isn't necessarily high load condition. On and off the throttle and turning add the risks.

With that said, I used to race with some guys who could make an engine last a full year and were just as fast as the guys who went through a few. IOWs, driving style likely has more impact on longevity of parts than goat mode. I feel quite certain that ham fisted driving can break parts in any mode. Having the mechanical sensibilities as a driver doesn't change with mode.

To the original question, none of the Bronco models are truly high speed off road vehicles, not even the Braptor. Contast them with a trophy truck. A Badlands is 0.02% less capable on the sand at 50mph than a Wildtrak. It was noted above, these brochure statements are mostly marketing.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sport is similar to the tow/haul button on most trucks, I've always used sport in 2WD for towing a trailer on trips that involve elevation changes. Flat interstate driving it doesn't make much of a difference.
Flat interstate? Maybe I80 west of Elko, but that's pretty far north. Everything around here is up and down. Not horrible, but not flat.

Sponsored

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Flat interstate? Maybe I80 west of Elko, but that's pretty far north. Everything around here is up and down. Not horrible, but not flat.
You don't really need it to hold a gear longer on a flat road, so sport doesn't really give you any advantages. It's primarily beneficial when towing up grades and whatnot.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You don't really need it to hold a gear longer on a flat road, so sport doesn't really give you any advantages. It's primarily beneficial when towing up grades and whatnot.
Lol. I know. I’ve just never Really experienced this phenom you call flat interstate. We have uphill / downhill and “flat” is very temporary, usually preparing for the next up hill. Some places even have holy shit versions of uphill and downhill, so there is that.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The GOAT Mode chart that was posted is not correct and probably needs to go away, as it will just cause more controversy. Not sure where it came from….developmental advertising….

Example:
No GOAT Mode on my Badlands automatically activates the front locker.
The rear locker is not automatically activated in Baja Mode.

I like the chart and wish a correct version was available.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Badlands can, or should, perform well at higher speeds over sand and rough terrain (think flat desert floor), but is more heavily armored for rockcrawling, something lacking in the Wildtrak. Thus, the inclusion of Baja to the Badlands transmission programing makes sense.

Neverowneda4x4, the answer to your question may have something to do with weight. The Badlands is more heavily armored for rockcrawling, but the Wildtrak isn't. Since gross vehicle weight is not an issue in high(er) speed off-road flatland performance driving, there was no reason to exclude Baja mode from the Badlands. But note that the Wildtrak doesn't have rockcrawling--no skidplates! But because of the Badlands' heavier GVW, the Badlands doesn't get Sport mode--too much strain on the gearing. (This can be added through Forscan. As a Badlands/Sas/4DR owner, I don't feel this is necessary. But I'm an old fart.)

Ironically, Wildtrak's reduced weight allowed Ford to put on the heavier, stronger Hoss 3.0 steering and suspension package, not exactly needed on desert-floor speeding, but excluded from the Badlands, which could definitely benefit from that tougher system. So it goes.

Neverowneda4x4, allow me some elder(ly) advice: go carefully on high-speed off-roading, very carefully. Those thrilling 75-mph promotion videos you see, with a rooster tail of dust rising high behind? Those professionals checked out the course very carefully before hand and know for a certainty there are no gulches or holes for those tricked-out 4x4s to hit. Even on a well maintained dirt road, where you think you can cruise at 45 mph+, you might have sudden drops, holes, and washouts you don't want to meet over 5 mph. Don't drive fast unless you know the road or course is flat and free of obstructions.
So full of wisdom here Boston. Please don’t ever stop posting. :)

If I”m not mistaken, first run of the WildTrak didn’t have HOSS 3.0, so it had a Squatch suspension.

Why not put Baja in a Badlands; it’s the ultimate Bronco! :ROFLMAO:

Jokes boys, jokes!

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The GOAT Mode chart that was posted is not correct and probably needs to go away, as it will just cause more controversy. Not sure where it came from….developmental advertising….

Example:
No GOAT Mode on my Badlands automatically activates the front locker.
The rear locker is not automatically activated in Baja Mode.

I like the chart and wish a correct version was available.
I think that Baja mode did activate the rear locker on my OBX (which doesn't come stock with Baja mode).

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Sport is great for driving in the hills also as it does better with downshifts etc when off gas pedal and you use less braking.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Lol. I know. I’ve just never Really experienced this phenom you call flat interstate. We have uphill / downhill and “flat” is very temporary, usually preparing for the next up hill. Some places even have holy shit versions of uphill and downhill, so there is that.
There are parts of TX and NM highways that look laser leveled and straight all the way out to the horizon. Lane assist hates those roads because steering input is pretty much optional except when passing. It's great for fuel efficiency and whatnot but FML it's the most boring road on the planet.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are parts of TX and NM highways that look laser leveled and straight all the way out to the horizon. Lane assist hates those roads because steering input is pretty much optional except when passing. It's great for fuel efficiency and whatnot but FML it's the most boring road on the planet.
On pavement, I agree: Straight roads are intriguing, but soon become boring. A notable exception is the "Forest Gump Road," a laser-straight two-lane which leads to Monument Valley. What warms my heart is an unmaintained road, rough dirt or even two tire tracks, straight as an arrow leading off to their vanishing point. Where does that road go? Who built it? And most of all, what's at the end of it?
Have Bronco, will travel.

TakeNoGuff

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Armada, Dodge Ram 2500 4x4, Soon Bronco BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One should study the Bronco Manual before making untrue statements. Each mode is described in detail what happens to your Bronco. "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"...Abraham Lincoln
Sponsored