Sponsored

Why does badlands have the Baja goat mode if it was not designed for high speed off-roading? (No HOSS 3.0)?

Mdsuits

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 f350, 68 bronco 89 samurai
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess they changed something for YOUR Badlands, then, as my 2023 Badlands - built in March of 2023 - definitely does have Baja mode. Are you sure you have a Badlands?
I better go edit my post before everyone tells my I’m wrong. Lol. Yes I’m aware…I had an old person moment and forgot sport was the one I added.
Sponsored

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Should one ever wish to verify that sand is not "slippery" try using it as a lubricant. ;)
I'll try that next time I'm using the clay bar. Should just let it glide over the paint... :eek::ROFLMAO:

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why does badlands have the Baja goat mode if it was not designed for high speed off-roading? (No HOSS 3.0)?
better tell all those folks with '21 and earlier '22 wildtraks that their HOSS 2.0 suspensions are limited to high speeds under 10 mph!

BigBend530

Big Bend
First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 2Dr.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford Bronco Why does badlands have the Baja goat mode if it was not designed for high speed off-roading? (No HOSS 3.0)? Screenshot_20230212_175054

Aside from explaining the differences in settings, it doesn't help much with vehicle behavior between modes.

Sponsored

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It's all mostly a gimmick anyway, they're just trying to balance those gimmick stats between vehicles so none of them are too handicapped or buffed. Baja sucks in baja environments and sand sucks in the dunes. Rock is kind of useful I guess, if nothing else but for the change in throttle mapping. I leave it in normal or sport and enable/disable crap as necessary for just about all types of terrain.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 2021 Badlands and it does have Baja. I've used it off road.

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wrong answer
Badlands does come stock with Baja mode and to answer the original question
Ford was trying to make the wildtrak appeal to the market
Back in 2021 and 2022 the badlands was the superior rig, until ford saved the wildtrak from going to the wayside by adding the 3.0 suspension….
The Badlands is still the superior rig due to the sway bar disconnect, more skids plates, and no F'n carpet.

Last edited:

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

To me, Badlands needs to keep the Bilsteins unless the Foxes articulate as much or more, and get the heavier steering rack. It’s just wrong the heavier steering rack is not standard on Badlands.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Which modes are present in which trims is more about marketing choices than anything else.

Also, the 2nd table in post #34, even the values in some of the columns are speculation, not information from Ford.

Sponsored

MEAT_GOD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco 2dr, 15 Maserati Quattroporte
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I was just out doing some high speed test runs in deep sand.

2' of soft stuff. I had the very same question between Sand and Baja..

Very basic results:

Baja is better for shallow sand and other loose surfaces as it keeps the RPMs a bit higher and you end up losing a lot of traction in deep sand.

Sand Mode is more conservative but that results in a lot more control in deep loose sand.. You'll go faster and use less gas, which is nice. I burned through over a quarter tank of gas in about 30-45 minutes doing a few high speed runs.

You'll get to 50 in less time in Baja Mode, but that's as fast as you'll go as you'll have too little traction to go any faster.

In Sand Mode, I could top out at about 65 if I really smashed it into the floor. Potential for a bit more speed there but deep sand turns to glass.. No steering at all and its a windy wash.

This is Baja Mode, so about 50-53mph. Just couldn't get any more traction to go faster..

No video, but this pretty much lines up with how it handled in snow last winter. Sand mode worked best for 1' or so of powder.

This is a 21' Badlands 2.7 but I'm running an Icon Stage 6 on 37s with the HOSS 3.0 rack etc.

Thanks for the info. Didn't really know the difference until now, and it seems like I'm going to want to FORSCAN a Baja mode now.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It’s just wrong the heavier steering rack is not standard on Badlands.
If there was only one model to have the 3.0, it should've been the Badlands, as all of the rack failures I've heard of have been in the rocks, not bombing down desert tracks or in the dunes. Desert racing is hard on a rack, but slamming it into a boulder or getting wheel hop climbing a waterfall is worse. Practically speaking, all Bronco models should've had the 3.0 bare minimum, and a heavier duty rack to go with sasquatch packages and Badlands/Raptor trim.

IWDesertGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 2 Dr Badlands LUX+SASQ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Neverowneda4x4, allow me some elder(ly) advice: go carefully on high-speed off-roading, very carefully. Those thrilling 75-mph promotion videos you see, with a rooster tail of dust rising high behind? Those professionals checked out the course very carefully before hand and know for a certainty there are no gulches or holes for those tricked-out 4x4s to hit. Even on a well maintained dirt road, where you think you can cruise at 45 mph+, you might have sudden drops, holes, and washouts you don't want to meet over 5 mph. Don't drive fast unless you know the road or course is flat and free of obstructions.
@Neverowneda4x4 : 👍👍👍 for what @BostonSasquatch said!

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for the info. Didn't really know the difference until now, and it seems like I'm going to want to FORSCAN a Baja mode now.
You will hardly ever want to use it unless you are really pounding on the Bronco. Baja mode is very aggressive, and basically, is more like "rally car mode". It avoids turbo lag at all costs and really holds on to the gears.

I would argue that it is truly designed as a racing mode at the expense of long term durability. Sport mode, the Bronco will do fine for 100k miles, but I wouldn't be surprised if Baja mode decreased the life of the drive train by 1/2 or more, it's just that aggressive. Now, I don't have any data to back that up, and it's quite possible that it would make no difference in durability (engine, turbos, and transmission specifically), but the only people who would really know are Ford engineers.

If it makes no difference, then that would really speak to the toughness of the engine, turbos, and transmission (as well as the refinement of the engine management).

Sardine

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Elantra N - 6 speed & 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Screenshot_20230212_175054.jpg

Aside from explaining the differences in settings, it doesn't help much with vehicle behavior between modes.
I haven't gotten my Bronco yet. Can you put the car into Baja mode but also shut off 4H and stick it in 4A? Essentially making it Sport mode? Or is it stuck in 4H?

Sport mode, the Bronco will do fine for 100k miles, but I wouldn't be surprised if Baja mode decreased the life of the drive train by 1/2 or more, it's just that aggressive.
That's definitely not a thing.
Sponsored