peterh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jlu 2018
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

sorry I may have confused the issue - the clear coat - was it flat, gloss, semi?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Manx

Manx

Base
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

sorry I may have confused the issue - the clear coat - was it flat, gloss, semi?
Not satin, not flat. I did not specify a sheen, and it's been my experience that when you don't specify, most paint suppliers and body shops give you gloss. I just confirmed with Galpin Auto Sports that they used gloss clearcoat as I suspected.

Last edited:

gringoloco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
@Manx Please talk about what you did for the center caps. This thing is killer!

OP
OP
Manx

Manx

Base
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

@Manx Please talk about what you did for the center caps. This thing is killer!
Sure. I’ve told the story before, but I don’t mind telling it again, and maybe this time with more detail.

The wheels I bought have about a 4” diameter hole through the center. (note that the Bronco Heritage wheels have a smaller diameter center hole, closer to 2” fwiw) The first-generation Bronco full wheel covers have a red plastic center piece. They sell reproductions so I bought them. They have plastic nubs on the outer diameter edge that help hold them in the wheel cover and I didn’t need them, so I removed them. (it’s plastic so easy to sand/file/smooth).

The caps are a little larger than the 4” hole, but I wanted them to sit down in that hole as much as possible. I had adapters 3D printed that snap into the wheel just like the caps that came with the aftermarket wheels. (I even reused the retailing springs from the original caps). Lastly, I bonded the red Ford center caps to the 3D printed adapters and snapped them onto the wheel, just as you would the install cap that came with the Analog wheel. Here’s a video of the 3D printer making the adapters. https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Rx2VK4rJUfhQcFN8

I’m sure there are other ways to accomplish this. If anyone does something similar, please share, I’d love to see it!

Ford Bronco Analog Wheels on a 2023 Bronco - Fifteen52 Photoshoot Screenshot_20211017-184214
Ford Bronco Analog Wheels on a 2023 Bronco - Fifteen52 Photoshoot rearhubcapcenter
Ford Bronco Analog Wheels on a 2023 Bronco - Fifteen52 Photoshoot PXL_20230310_231553487.MP
Ford Bronco Analog Wheels on a 2023 Bronco - Fifteen52 Photoshoot PXL_20230310_231603093.MP
Ford Bronco Analog Wheels on a 2023 Bronco - Fifteen52 Photoshoot PXL_20230515_002731203
Ford Bronco Analog Wheels on a 2023 Bronco - Fifteen52 Photoshoot 1stGenLookWheelswithCustomCenterCaps

Last edited:

6gtexanbronco

Raptor
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Raptor, '74 Wagoneer, '20 Navi
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Great looking retro ride. Do you mind sharing how you did the grill? Looks like you used some vintage FORD letters. How did you mount them? Thanks

Sponsored
OP
OP
Manx

Manx

Base
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Great looking retro ride. Do you mind sharing how you did the grill? Looks like you used some vintage FORD letters. How did you mount them? Thanks
The grille is the IAG I-Line Vintage Grille. It's ABS plastic and comes with holes and provisions for the camera and the BRONCO letters. I wanted mine to say FORD so I had the center covered with a blanking plate made of plastic, painted it all Wimbledon White and installed the reproduction red letters from Scott Drake. The letters have pins on the back so you can drill holes in the plastic and fasten them with the nuts provided or with adhesive. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Ford Bronco Analog Wheels on a 2023 Bronco - Fifteen52 Photoshoot PXL_20230131_021302668

Ford Bronco Analog Wheels on a 2023 Bronco - Fifteen52 Photoshoot IAGVintageGrill

Ford Bronco Analog Wheels on a 2023 Bronco - Fifteen52 Photoshoot PXL_20230603_170415473

Ford Bronco Analog Wheels on a 2023 Bronco - Fifteen52 Photoshoot IMG_0210

6gtexanbronco

Raptor
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Raptor, '74 Wagoneer, '20 Navi
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The grille is the IAG I-Line Vintage Grille. It's ABS plastic and comes with holes and provisions for the camera and the BRONCO letters. I wanted mine to say FORD so I had the center covered with a blanking plate made of plastic, painted it all Wimbledon White and installed the reproduction red letters from Scott Drake. The letters have pins on the back so you can drill holes in the plastic and fasten them with the nuts provided or with adhesive. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Very impressive. I saw the post on the wheel center caps too. You are quite the craftsman. I have the Braptor but this has me wanting to add a 2dr to the stable.

peterh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jlu 2018
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

OP I forgot to ask but by any chance do you have the paint code for the Wimbledon White?

OP
OP
Manx

Manx

Base
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OP I forgot to ask but by any chance do you have the paint code for the Wimbledon White?
In the 1960s I believe the Ford paint code for Wimbledon White was M1619 and that translates into PPG 8378. But please don't take my word alone, ask your paint supplier or body shop to be sure.

peterh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jlu 2018
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

thanks wilm do thats great info

Sponsored
OP
OP
Manx

Manx

Base
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

gringoloco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
OP
OP
Manx

Manx

Base
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

@Manx I noticed something when I reviewed that article, which I hadn’t before. What is going on with your rocker panels? A cover? An electric step? Thx
[/QUOTE]

Go Rhino power steps. Hides the pinch weld, looks good, useful.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sdf4Bgj7uJ5NLTH16

Last edited:

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m gonna dissent. Too much poke ruins the retro look

OP
OP
Manx

Manx

Base
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m gonna dissent. Too much poke ruins the retro look
Thanks, and I agree. I want less tire poke, too. I wish I could find a 16" wheel with the correct offset, the old school look, and not steel. Ford Heritage wheels were not yet available when I put this all together. Also, I wish the flares were a little wider. Compromises were made to achieve what I felt was the best overall first gen look. Other than the poke, I'm happy with the result. As more parts come available, I wouldn't mind reducing the poke. If someone knows where I can get these wheels today, please let me know. I know I could do custom one-offs, but those cost more than mass produced wheels. In fact, if you know of someone making a steel 16" wheel with the correct offset, I'd consider them. I am resisting 17" because I think the 16" are better proportioned for the look I'm after. If I went with 17" I feel I'd have to increase tire diameter to make up for it, and now I'm moving away from first gen tribute and more towards monster truck/rock crawler look, which is not my goal.
Sponsored

Last edited: