Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey everyone, sorry to make 2 posts about this, but I have some updates, and just want some opinions.

I recently found that when I lift off the throttle at any speed there is a loud single click in the engine bay that was not there before. I think it's the blowoff/solenoid valve thing (idk what i'm talking about) front and center in the video. This sound is totally new, as I haven't heard it until recently.

I took in my bronco into the dealership to get this checked out. They said the engine and the turbo were functioning normally, and without a fault code, they didn't feel like it needed to be fixed. Is it actually normal? Do other 2.3 owners also make this sound at a loud volume?
I'm still going to go in again to see if they can fix it regardless, but how concerned should I be overall?

build: 2 door, 2.3 ecoboost, manual, 4.7/4Auto (if that means anything lol)

Thank you!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As you lift, the BPV opens to dump excess Intake Manifold Pressure, this sounds like your BPV getting sucked closed as you reapply throttle… seems normal to me 🤷‍♂️ probably more noticeable since the hoods open

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Auto or manual, my thoughts upon your description are lose fasteners in the driveline, cv joints, mounting -flywheel/flex plate bolts or torque converter nuts, etc.

OP
OP
patchymanz

patchymanz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Auto or manual, my thoughts upon your description are lose fasteners in the driveline, cv joints, mounting -flywheel/flex plate bolts or torque converter nuts, etc.
It's a manual, I will have to save your comment so I can tell them to check those things haha

OP
OP
patchymanz

patchymanz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As you lift, the BPV opens to dump excess Intake Manifold Pressure, this sounds like your BPV getting sucked closed as you reapply throttle… seems normal to me 🤷‍♂️ probably more noticeable since the hoods open
Yeah, it just sounds wayyy louder than it was before, which is what concerns me

Sponsored

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's a manual, I will have to save your comment so I can tell them to check those things haha
Sorry, but no. The vehicle isn’t moving, Not CV related - not driveline related. If your flywheel is loose, you have wayyyyy bigger issues. They won’t be cracking the bell housing for this vacuum pop

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Vehicle doesn't have to be moving for a lose component to make a clicking noise like a torque converter wallowing in the flexplate holes... the converter is captured but can move about with lose nuts.

OP
OP
patchymanz

patchymanz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Vehicle doesn't have to be moving for a lose component to make a clicking noise like a torque converter wallowing in the flexplate holes... the converter is captured but can move about with lose nuts.
So you think something might be loose? Is this something I could fix myself?

OP
OP
patchymanz

patchymanz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also, awesome dog!

OP
OP
patchymanz

patchymanz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah but I can also hear it in the cabin. Which is why I wanted to see if maybe it is just this loud on other people's 2.3s.

Also same thing I said to exomodo, you have an awesome dog there

Sponsored

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
AFAIK there are no torque converters on Manuals.

@patchymanz - I stick with my original assumption of a noisy BPV. I wouldn’t have to much cause for concern. If you start underboosting, you might have an intake hose clamp (post Air filter, turbo, IC, Intake Manifold) that’s worked it’s way loose, allowing some more audibles to sneak through.

I’ll keep an ear on my 2.3MT to see if there is any similar sounds. Although the ambient temp is -30 this week, temperature might play some degree in changing the way the diaphragm sounds.

Thanks, She’s a great chocolate!

Last edited:
OP
OP
patchymanz

patchymanz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@patchymanz - I stick with my original assumption of a noisy BPV. I wouldn’t have to much cause for concern. If you start underboosting, you might have an intake hose clamp (post Air filter, turbo, IC, Intake Manifold) that’s worked it’s way loose, allowing some more audibles to sneak through.

Thanks, She’s a great chocolate!
Sounds like a very reasonable assumption, thanks a lot for your input! makes me feel better lol

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Manual wasn't originally specified or I missed it. Reason I said torque converter is because I was watching a Visegrip Garage drag week video and they had the torque converter nuts on a GTO come loose and had to fix it at the track. Made a bit of a racket, didn't frag...

Bronqo

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@patchymanz did you ever figure this out?
I took mine to the dealer with the same complaint (also 2.3 manual). They’ve had it for 3 weeks and still haven’t figured it out.
First they tried replacing the waste gate sensor. That didn’t fix it. Now they’re going to replace the charge pipe…waiting on parts…

OP
OP
patchymanz

patchymanz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@patchymanz did you ever figure this out?
I took mine to the dealer with the same complaint (also 2.3 manual). They’ve had it for 3 weeks and still haven’t figured it out.
First they tried replacing the waste gate sensor. That didn’t fix it. Now they’re going to replace the charge pipe…waiting on parts…
No nothing yet :/ took it in 3 times to finally get them to hear the noise, so that was a whole ordeal. I got them to finally order me a new BPV, but then they lost it (wtf).
So I am getting the new one next weekend, and I am just going to change it myself.
These Ford Dealers have been extremely incompetent.
Did yours say it had nothing to do with the BPV?
I will keep you updated...
Sponsored