Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Most folks don't seem to know Ford made two different 2.3's. The old 2.3 Lima engine in Pintos,Mustangs and Rangers has nothing in common with 2.3 Eco boost except displacement. I will say both engines proved to be reliable however.
Some of us are trying to be funny with our Pinto anecdotes. But you are right, both are good engines.
Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The oil you use is more important than the fuel. The fuel never touches the backs of the valves so really doesn't make as much difference as you think. Maybe carbon in the cylinder but not the backs of the valves.
I always use full synthetic oil. Dino oil makes more carbon than synthetic.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The oil you use is more important than the fuel. The fuel never touches the backs of the valves so really doesn't make as much difference as you think. Maybe carbon in the cylinder but not the backs of the valves.
How is oil hitting the backs of the valves if it has good valve guide seals?

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How is oil hitting the backs of the valves if it has good valve guide seals?
Oil and or oil vapor hits the back of the valves in minor quantities from the PCV system. Same with every engine since at least the 70's. Difference here is the 2.3 has no injectors of any kind in the intake so nothing to wash them off. So 100% oil quality is very critical for less deposits on the backs of the valves. The newest formulations claim to take DI into account.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some of us are trying to be funny with our Pinto anecdotes. But you are right, both are good engines.
We had a couple Pintos back in the day. They were a decent car and sold well. Was a much better car than the Chevette or Vega. The Bronco II and Explorer were far more deadly. The Pinto gets the bad rap for how Ford handled the issue with the Pinto.

Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Most folks don't seem to know Ford made two different 2.3's. The old 2.3 Lima engine in Pintos,Mustangs and Rangers has nothing in common with 2.3 Eco boost except displacement. I will say both engines proved to be reliable however.
Yep and there are still racing classes that use the old 2.3, they are damn tough also. Pintos always get a bad rap, but they were actually very reliable, especially if equipped with the 2.3.
I had an ‘85 T-bird Turbo Coupe with the turbo version of that engine also.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have to wash mine after driving through a dusty area. That’s the worst issue I’ve had with the engine so far.

SHANUT

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve had mine going on a year. 15-16k miles. No issues up to this point. I have an older 2004 ranger non turbo 2.3 that gave me right at 200k miles before major failure. I believe it would have lasted longer but I got it when i was a teenager, gave it little maintenance and a lot of neglect. I had 3 valves break apart at once. I know it’s a different animal, but the base design is similar.

if you have have engine issues post it up, and please include the mileage.
We have the 2.3 eco-boost in my wife’s 2021 Explorer and we have had zero issues after 20,000 miles.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

We had a couple Pintos back in the day. They were a decent car and sold well. Was a much better car than the Chevette or Vega. The Bronco II and Explorer were far more deadly. The Pinto gets the bad rap for how Ford handled the issue with the Pinto.
Well, I rate the three Bronco IIs and first three Explorers I owned amoung my best vehicles ever.I 🙂

Mustbeheresomewhere

Badlands
First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Chevrolet Silverado, 2022 Bronco Badlands 4D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have 16k on my 2.3l and I think it’s a great motor. I did the Ford performance tune and it’s even better, especially with the manual transmission. The only minor thing I see is that the timing cover has a slow leak.

Toasterbath

Heritage
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Renting till my Bronco comes in
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I only have 500 miles on my 2.3, that said no issues. If I had to complain it would be that its rather noisy, but once I get over 45mph the wind drowns out the engine.
Sponsored