Sponsored

Any one try E blend like e20/e30?? Not just 93.

BadmansSAS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquach
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So hello, new guy here. Former coyote amateur tuner with HP Tuners. Just sold it to switch to the Bronco. Landed a brand new 23 Badlands SAS with the 2.7L.

I hear its a bit sensitive to octane. And from my time tuning coyote 5.0's, and using 93, e20, e30 and also octane boosters, I can tell you from experience that any engine starving for octane, will LOVE a bit of extra ethanol going through it.

So as you know (or dont) pump gas is basically e10. 10% ethanol. I used to mix a bit of straight E85 with my pump 93 to bump that up to e20 and even e30. Now as far as I assume, these EBs run in closed loop mode all the time like most modern fords and have a wideband O2 up front measuring AFR as the exhaust passes through.

If the bronco is like the mustang, then it should be able to correct for extra ethanol with fuel trims adding fuel so it can keep stoich of 14.08ish for e10 pump.

Buuuuut, you will get the added benefit of more octane from that extra E in the tank. Basically pushing your 93 to 96ish give or take. And for most factory vehicles, thats more than enough to completely stop any weather related knock you'd normally see on 91/93 only. Or worse 87. This will get you all the timing the EB is capable of adding and it should run very strong. Knowing the size of the tank, the current E content of whats in it plus the E content of the E85 going in, I can calculate exactly the amount of E85 at any given fuel level I would need to add on top of topping it off with 93 to get that perfect e20 or e30 blend.

Now with all that theory carried over from the coyote world, has anyone here done any of this? I assume HP Tuners is not supported and neither would be any data logging with VCM scanner...?

I'd like to test this in my new badlands, but Im unsure if we have WB o2(s) sensors and also do we have the ability to live log the engine for fuel trims at least??

Thanks and happy to be here.

IMG_7908.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

OP
OP
BadmansSAS

BadmansSAS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can run ~E30 for a little extra power

Or just get a full custom tune from @ZFGracing and run full E85

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ing-with-hp-tuners-update.89768/#post-2173735
I just saw them. I was under the impression there was no HP Tuners support. I have extensive experience in tuning the 10R80 coyotes. I didnt want to do much with this, but I'd love to see a stock file and how Ford manages the 10R60/80 vs how they do it in the mustangs. Im sure its probably similar. I had a whipple Mustang GT before this with the 10R80. Took months to get it sorted out so it would shift like a dream on the street but also be on kill mode at the track. I probably had 50 revisions of tunes I tested.

I did email them asking about a tune. We will see. I dont need credits or a flasher. Got all that already. I do wonder if the PCM needs to be unlocked or if I can run straight up E with the stock fuel system.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I just saw them. I was under the impression there was no HP Tuners support. I have extensive experience in tuning the 10R80 coyotes. I didnt want to do much with this, but I'd love to see a stock file and how Ford manages the 10R60/80 vs how they do it in the mustangs. Im sure its probably similar. I had a whipple Mustang GT before this with the 10R80. Took months to get it sorted out so it would shift like a dream on the street but also be on kill mode at the track. I probably had 50 revisions of tunes I tested.

I did email them asking about a tune. We will see. I dont need credits or a flasher. Got all that already. I do wonder if the PCM needs to be unlocked or if I can run straight up E with the stock fuel system.
The PCM they send you will be unlocked, just needs to be installed with FDRS.
Stock fuel system for the 2.7 is enough for E85. Iā€™m running a baseline E85 tune right now, and @MWILD has been running E85 for a few weeks now.
You can buy the PCM and tune separately from them if you already have hptuners and credits.

OP
OP
BadmansSAS

BadmansSAS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yā€™all got me curious. And yes sir I can log it. Looks like wide bands and running in closed loop. Thatā€™s excellent. Couldnā€™t read it out as expected like you said.

IMG_7914.jpeg

Sponsored

MWILD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 - BB Sasquatch - Mid - 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The PCM they send you will be unlocked, just needs to be installed with FDRS.
Stock fuel system for the 2.7 is enough for E85. Iā€™m running a baseline E85 tune right now, and @MWILD has been running E85 for a few weeks now.
You can buy the PCM and tune separately from them if you already have hptuners and credits.

Iā€™m about to go back to the 93 tune tomorrow as Iā€™m getting ready to head to the dyno this week. Going to do a baseline and 93 tune pull. Iā€™d do E85 as well, need to figure out how to drain the tank and put in 5 gallons of E85.

Anyway, the E85 tune is an absolute beast. Youā€™re gonna surprise a few cars on the road, thatā€™s for sure šŸ˜ doing downpipes next.

Adam and ZFG knows his stuff.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Iā€™m about to go back to the 93 tune tomorrow as Iā€™m getting ready to head to the dyno this week. Going to do a baseline and 93 tune pull. Iā€™d do E85 as well, need to figure out how to drain the tank and put in 5 gallons of E85.

Anyway, the E85 tune is an absolute beast. Youā€™re gonna surprise a few cars on the road, thatā€™s for sure šŸ˜ doing downpipes next.

Adam and ZFG knows his stuff.
What downpipes are you going with? I think Iā€™m in the same boat as you are as far as wanting them, but not wanting it to be ridiculously loud or sound like crap šŸ˜‚

OP
OP
BadmansSAS

BadmansSAS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Canā€™t wait to talk to him. I wonā€™t pretend to know how to tune these but Iā€™ve got a good background with the coyotes. And the 10r80. Lots of tips and tricks to get them to behave.

MWILD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 - BB Sasquatch - Mid - 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What downpipes are you going with? I think Iā€™m in the same boat as you are as far as wanting them, but not wanting it to be ridiculously loud or sound like crap šŸ˜‚
Yep, same here. I currently have the CVF 3ā€ catback and I love the sound. Itā€™s deep and has a good tone. Ultimately Iā€™d love to get the SPD since they have the best cats, but the CVF is half the priceā€¦still have to think about it a bit more.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Can all this wizardry transfer over to the 2.3 as well?

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I donā€™t believe so, at least not that Iā€™ve seen yet. You can still run e30 probably, but there is no full custom tune option.

OP
OP
BadmansSAS

BadmansSAS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Depends if the PCM is unlockable as well. If it is, I dont see why not. The key here is to get unlocked access to the stock tune file in the PCM/TCM and be able to edit those parameters with HP Tuners. If they have access, then it should have no problem being tuned. Sounds like a hardware unlock is applied to a new PCM and that needs to be swapped in to the vehicle in place of the one that came with it. Alternatively I believe you should be able to send in your stock one and that can also be unlocked, but good luck if you need warranty work. I'd rather have the stock one that can be swapped back in as needed.

ZFGracing

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150/bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yā€™all got me curious. And yes sir I can log it. Looks like wide bands and running in closed loop. Thatā€™s excellent. Couldnā€™t read it out as expected like you said.

Ford Bronco Any one try E blend like e20/e30??  Not just 93. IMG_7914

They are widebands and are closed loop all the time. You can run up e30 with 0 issues on the stock tune, but they have the timing clamped down pretty low. I'm one of like 2 or 3 tuners that figured out the ecu swap stuff to make the tuning work with HP tuners. Hopefully some day we can get past all that but right now it is what it is! It's $650 for a used ecu and the loaner computer for me to remotely program it with.

OP
OP
BadmansSAS

BadmansSAS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They are widebands and are closed loop all the time. You can run up e30 with 0 issues on the stock tune, but they have the timing clamped down pretty low. I'm one of like 2 or 3 tuners that figured out the ecu swap stuff to make the tuning work with HP tuners. Hopefully some day we can get past all that but right now it is what it is! It's $650 for a used ecu and the loaner computer for me to remotely program it with.
All good man. When Im ready to do it, I will get with you. I used to tune coyotes including my own whipple 10r80 car. Ran 9s on e30 and a stage 1 whipple with no other mods. Car was a beast and I had that 10R80 acting right. HUGE pain in the ass getting all the TCC settings and shift schedules correct. Smooth out all the quirks that guys taking them to the dealer for thinking its hardware and not tuning related. Shame I sold mine, but Im loving the bronco. I'll run some e30 in it next week see how it likes it. I only logged it once to see if I could. I will need a real channel list at some point for this one.

Thanks for doing these too btw. Its nice to have a real tuning option not that piggy back tomfoolery stuff from the other companies.
Sponsored