Sponsored

Any reason to stick with stealership for oil changes?

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Since I have aftermarket skids that need to come off for an oil change, I am sorta stuck doing it myself
Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve never had a multi hour wait at a dealership for an oil change with an appointment and I live in Atlanta.

Yes, the dealership is the best to do your oil change for several reasons, including the fact that they do more than just change the oil and filter.

Other option as Guys have stated, do it yourself since it’s easy to get under a Bronco and it’s just easy.

Wanted a “tough guy“ truck, so now do some tough guy stuff; although it’s not really and doesn’t even have to be messy. Then, you can also use God’s car nectar known as full synthetic AMSOIL! 🥰

The oil change place uses recycled conventional garbage that I wouldn’t put in anything other than a 2002 Civic.

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My dealer has a separate quick change facility. No appointment needed. Usually in and out in an hour and fifteen. Every now and then I hit the right day/time and I’m out in forty five. Full synthetic and tire rotate every 6k miles. Not a lot more expensive than materials would cost me and I’m getting too old to wrestle 85# tires around.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I always did oil changes on my 2014 JK at the stealership, since it was easy to crack the oil cooler housing by over-tightening the filter. My 2.7L Bronco is about to hit 6kmi and I want to do the first oil change. Rather than waste time with appointments and multi-hour waits at the dealer (or all day drop-offs), is there a reason I should not take it to a local oil change place and get it done in under an hour?
A week or so ago there was a thread about the dealer snapping skid plate bolts doing an oil change and trying to blame the poster. It finally worked in their favor but I don't know what kind of satisfaction you'd get from a quicky lube if they messed something up.

BroncoBrian

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick daily driver
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I can think of a few 1) You can pay with Fordpass points 2) Dealer will check for recalls, TSB's and updates 3) It's cleaner than doing yourself 4) they will do a inspection to check for broken, worn parts, and and warranty repairable items. If your dealership takes hours or all day to do your basic oil change find a different one.

Sponsored

pdilecce

Wildtrak
First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
A week or so ago there was a thread about the dealer snapping skid plate bolts doing an oil change and trying to blame the poster. It finally worked in their favor but I don't know what kind of satisfaction you'd get from a quicky lube if they messed something up.

I do all my own. You can use the Fordpass app to record the service you perform: Keep receipts.

Ford Bronco Any reason to stick with stealership for oil changes? 1694568695207
Ford Bronco Any reason to stick with stealership for oil changes? 1694568746986

JimmyG

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and Cadillacs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I always did oil changes on my 2014 JK at the stealership, since it was easy to crack the oil cooler housing by over-tightening the filter. My 2.7L Bronco is about to hit 6kmi and I want to do the first oil change. Rather than waste time with appointments and multi-hour waits at the dealer (or all day drop-offs), is there a reason I should not take it to a local oil change place and get it done in under an hour?
I agree with others, let the dealership do it through the warranty. Or you could go to the real cowboys at Victory Lane and let them upsell you and do a crap job for double the money. You got Ford pass points to pay for your oil changes. Use them!

I used to do oil changes on all of the cars I own, but then I needed to have 5 cases of oil on hand, filters and catch cans for the dirty oil. Then disposal of waste oil and filters. Became a hassle for me for what modest amount of money it was "saving" me. My time is worth way more than what I was paying myself by doing it on my own.

My dealer comes and gets it from my house (16 miles each way), does the oil change and brings it back. Hard to beat that kind of service. Dealerships vary obviously...

Good luck my man!

JimmyG

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and Cadillacs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can think of a few 1) You can pay with Fordpass points 2) Dealer will check for recalls, TSB's and updates 3) It's cleaner than doing yourself 4) they will do a inspection to check for broken, worn parts, and and warranty repairable items. If your dealership takes hours or all day to do your basic oil change find a different one.
👆 This!

SGXIX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Dealer for warranty purposes.

Sponsored

Blaven

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've always did my own. Takes less than an hour from start to finish. Plus I have peace of mind everything was done correctly.

TX-Dennis

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have a local oil change shop that I trust. I've been taking my vehicles there for years. Took the Bronco in for its oil change recently, and the owner wanted to look inside. Said he hadn't seen inside a two door yet. We talked for a few minutes, and then they were done. They said their computer showed 5.5 quarts. I told them 6. They put in 5.5, and it showed low, so they added the other half quart. Told me I was right, and the computer was wrong.

Doing it myself is easy since I don't have to jack up the Bronco to get underneath, but it's not fun cleaning up the inevitable oil stains from the driveway, taking the oil in for recycling, etc. So I just pay to get it done. The shop has a selection of oils to choose from. I went with Mobil 1. Figure it's as good as anything else. I used to be a big fan of Pennzoil, and it's still good, but honestly as long as it meets spec, who cares about brands these days.

Paughco

Outer Banks
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Snoqualmie Valley, Washington, USA, Planet Earth
Vehicle(s)
2001 F-150 XLT and 2022 Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I wrench on my motorcycles ('50 Panhead and a '22 BMW R1250RS) and take my Ford vehicles to the Pierre Ford Service Center just off Lake City Way in Seattle. Greg is the guy who makes sure my Ford gets whatever it needs. Last time I was in there was back when I had my F-150 with about 230K on it. My Bronco, which I picked up last December, has only 3,300 miles on it. The RS, on the other hand, has 7,800 miles. Needless to say, it's been a pretty nice Summer here in the Great Northwet.

Looking forward to taking the Bronco into Pierre for an oil change and a full-5 tire rotation.

Seeya
ATB

Shazamalingo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Honestly, it's not that much more expensive at the dealer and half the time they have specials that bring the price down. For me, I take it there to avoid any possible argument of a warranty issue.

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My dealership upgrades the warranty to 100,000 mile power train as long as they do all oil changes within 1000 miles of official intervals. Basically just an easier (albeit slower) way to get people to pay them for an extended warranty but I guess it’s working on me lol
Sponsored