Sponsored

Any Recommendations for a Tire Patch Kit?

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Dlars99

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve used the Blackjack patch kit for years.

1986Bronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 V90 T6 Polestar, 2018 4Runner, 1990 Pao
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Safety Seal. Been using them for years. Just threw my kit in the Bronco and have one in the cart for the wife's SUV.

I second the sidewall patch mentioned earlier.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't buy plastic T-handled kit. Was reaming a hole and the handle broke and the metal part went in between my thumb and index finger about an inch. 😬
Do the tire plugs work to plug holes requiring first aid too?!

Ouch - That sounds awful!

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I carry a small kit from Boulder tools just off A*zon in both vehicles because the plug inserter and reamer have alum handles and are pretty stout.
I've been through a couple brands of the plug insertion kits. The insertion needles seem to last once. I've tried to get upper end quality kits, but there seems to be an endless stream of Chinese crap kits on Amazon. Most also don't seem to have a good slicer on the needle to cut the plug on pull out (my bicycle kits all fo this well). I suppose some of this may be skipping or not reaming enough?

Anyway, in short, you've had solid reliability with the Boulder brand insertion needles across multiple uses? Do you always ream a lot? Cheers.

Sponsored

rblock50

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do the tire plugs work to plug holes requiring first aid too?!

Ouch - That sounds awful!
Actually it felt like a pinch and then realized what happened. What's crazy was that it didn't bleed. It's mostly just meaty white tissue. Dr. Said to just soak it in epson salt. This happened when I was in high school working at a local garage changing/fixing tires, brakes, etc.

Mdozier

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 F250, 24 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been through a couple brands of the plug insertion kits. The insertion needles seem to last once. I've tried to get upper end quality kits, but there seems to be an endless stream of Chinese crap kits on Amazon. Most also don't seem to have a good slicer on the needle to cut the plug on pull out (my bicycle kits all fo this well). I suppose some of this may be skipping or not reaming enough?

Anyway, in short, you've had solid reliability with the Boulder brand insertion needles across multiple uses? Do you always ream a lot? Cheers.
Yes. I can’t say it’s not Chinese but the Boulder reamer and plug tool are better than others I’ve used. I found it through an old thread from some other members. The inserter can handle those bigger “red” plugs and the split in the tool releases them ok. And, this one has lasted better than others. It’s not like Snap-On quality by any means, but it’s proven to survive a bunch of repairs.

I don’t think you’ll be too disappointed, it’s not that expensive. I wouldn’t waste the money on the bigger kit version with the plastic case. It’s a lot of money for an oversized plastic box. Just get the smallest version that has the reamer and insert tool.

About cutting off the excess, I carry a pair of bent nose pliers and needle nose that are good at pulling out whatever might be stuck in the tire as well as pulling up the plug excess to help cut it off with a razor knife.

And yes, if It’s a hole repair I ream a lot to be able to get those big plugs in.

Hope that helps.

KRAKEN

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 DOOR BRONCO, 2014 F150 XLT, 2006 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Boulder Tools kit is good quality... link shared above by another poster.

Sponsored

Mdozier

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 F250, 24 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anybody know how frequently to replace the rubber plugs in these kits? I've heard the Gluetread glue and the patch kit plugs are good for about a year, but that's just what I've heard.

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve used a Safety Seal Tire Repair kit for years. I’ve found it to be the best. Add a razor blade and some diagonal cutters and you’re all set.

https://safetyseal.com/shop/
I was at an off road meet a while back. Talked to a Jeep guy who said he's used the Safety Seal plugs to repair a sidewall tear. He just started at one end of the tear and gradually filled the tear. As close together as he could get them. I don't know what tire pressure he used to refill. I think he had bead locks.