Sponsored

Anyone Treating Their Bronco as a Classic?

OP
OP

PDock

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, Mini Countryman, Ram 2500, FJ40, FJ60, Z3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just to clarify a common theme in these responses vs my personal intention, I wasn’t trying to imply that I’m actually buying the Bronco as an investment. I’m buying the Bronco because I wanted a 4 seater convertible in a stick. And I thought this would double as a great beach vehicle. The only “investment” side for me was SAS. I probably would have done without it but figured it will be worth the extra ~14% (in my case).

I should have been more clear… but that’s why I said “treating as a classic.” For me, that means avoiding doing anything that impacts originality, keeping the paint in good shape, avoiding rust, keeping receipts, and keeping mileage in-check.

I’ve had a number of different classic cars and I never bought any as an investment. But what I tell friends, this is my hobby. My “insert car” will have more residual value than last year’s green fees or floor seats.

Also keeping the miles low is a byproduct of it not being my DD. It’s not that I’m avoiding miles just for resale value.

I do respectfully disagree with the comments about NOT being a classic just because it’s mass produced. That’s disproven daily. VW Beetles are probably the most mass produced cars in history and are classics. Heck, the first year Mustangs are truly sought after and there were like a half million produced. Sure rarity helps, but isn’t exclusive.

per the comment mocking that anyone can buy the combo. Again, moot point. It’s not ALWAYS about rarity of a feature. It’s about the desirability. In the 70’s Fiats, an automatic was like 10% of the produced cars but are worth about 30% less than manuals. The hard part here is predicting which feature is desirable. 15 years from now it could be the 2.3 is crap and is totally avoided, or vice versa.

IMHO, though for the record I HATE that this might be true, I think 20 years from now any car with an ICE is going to be sought after. I’m not anti electric, I have a hybrid too. But I will miss the ICE, and I think others will as well, driving up value.

thanks all for your response!
Sponsored

OP
OP

PDock

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, Mini Countryman, Ram 2500, FJ40, FJ60, Z3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think most are missing the OP's point. (Or maybe I did lol) It's not as though he's never going to drive it and keep it garaged with less than 100 miles thinking it's going to be a Dino Ferarri, he just ticked a couple extra boxes thinking at some point sasquatch will be worth more than not sasquatch considering his lower mileage due to not daily driving. Which is probably correct.

In the meantime he gets to enjoy those tick boxes.

Are you gonna get rich? No. Will a low mileage Sas BL be worth something 20 years from now? sure.
That is EXACTLY what I meant. I read that after I posted my novel! Thanks for understanding!

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Day 1 res here and I certainly spec’ed mine to be a classic build. Will it be a future classic? I’m not sure. But I plan on passing it to my kids.

Put the budget aside and was hell bent on getting what I thought was the perfect clean spec no expense spared, paying homage to the original.

I paid up for a loaded sas OBX over a Wildtrack to get the chrome emblems, silver dash insert, matching mirrors and classic grille. To add a cherry on top I lucked out big by snagging an Antimatter blue for a midnight blue on saddle build - like the Leno build. The mirrors and handles all have that great blue flake AMB with no hood graphics hiding the paint. Fully loaded but intentionally skipped the modular bumper to get the beefier/proportional standard bumper. Kept the beauty rings intact and really wanted to keep the rims stock so got spacers just to give it a bit more stance while staying true to the stock build. This was the first MIC top at my dealer and I’m proud to say its virtually stock in appearance.

I always viewed this as the grail build that became even more grail after they dropped AMB.

only thing against it is that it’s a 4 door

Ford Bronco Anyone Treating Their Bronco as a Classic? BDF3B4F0-0D29-4881-B853-50FB20E3D33B
Ford Bronco Anyone Treating Their Bronco as a Classic? BFEC297C-F031-4C96-83A8-7DDC088DF371

Last edited:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Only an idiot would buy my Bronco when I’m done with it.

ScottyScooter

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Toyota MR2
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sorry, but the Bronco has practically no chance of becoming a valuable future classic. Think about it. Car culture has completely disappeared in the generation that needs to show up to pay premium prices and collect these vehicles 30+ years in the future.

I mean, we are talking about generation Z here.

They are the ones that would need to become the future collectors of the cars that are being produced today. And when I look at generation Z, I can't help but notice that 75% of them don't even bother to get their drivers license when they turn 16. If you ask them what their idea of a perfect car is, they would probably describe something resembling a pod with no steering wheel and TV screens instead of a windshield so they can watch Twitch streams while the "car" automatically takes them to where they want to go. I don't see any evidence to support that this might change once they are middle aged.

The only option you could add to your Bronco that might help in the future is being sure that it has an automatic transmission. Face it; 30+ years from now there will be no one left who can operate a manual transmission...

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry, but the Bronco has practically no chance of becoming a valuable future classic. Think about it. Car culture has completely disappeared in the generation that needs to show up to pay premium prices and collect these vehicles 30+ years in the future.

I mean, we are talking about generation Z here.

They are the ones that would need to become the future collectors of the cars that are being produced today. And when I look at generation Z, I can't help but notice that 75% of them don't even bother to get their drivers license when they turn 16. If you ask them what their idea of a perfect car is, they would probably describe something resembling a pod with no steering wheel and TV screens instead of a windshield so they can watch Twitch streams while the "car" automatically takes them to where they want to go. I don't see any evidence to support that this might change once they are middle aged.

The only option you could add to your Bronco that might help in the future is being sure that it has an automatic transmission. Face it; 30+ years from now there will be no one left who can operate a manual transmission...
There's still a few kids that love cars but you're right, interest is fading.

What makes a generation like certain eras of cars? As an elder millennial for some reason I have an affinity towards 60s (1st gen Bronco/Mustang, IH trucks, Continental, AMX, Fairlady) and 80s (F-Series, Foxbody, AMC Eagle, SHO, Delorean) cars, but I know other people my age that prefer the 90s cars they grew up with.
Sponsored