Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi 6G peeps

I just wanted to share my recent experience with you all. I’m not sure if I’m looking for similar stories or just want some encouragement that my issues will be resolved. This is a long, ridiculous story with my local service department, but I’m not going to get off into the weeds too much and just tell you what I’m up against. Here it goes:

In September I purchased a new, 2023 2.7l Bronco Badlands with the Sasquatch package. The experience was initially great other than the mild inconvenience of the Sync system having some minor hiccups. (When I say minor, what I mean is that the issues didn’t feel catastrophic, but rather minor nuisances) The built-in Ford Navigation was glitchy and the speaker phone would make digital feedback noises over the speakers if I changed anything on the touchscreen or the transmission lever. The microphone in the cab would also stop working mid-telephone conversation. In reality, these things aren’t really minor considering what we pay for these rigs, but our other vehicles are several years older and all have entertainment system quirks. As I said, it was a minor inconvenience, but there was definitely something wrong.

I took the Bronco in to my local Ford service department, it only took them a couple of hours to diagnose the vehicle with a faulty Accessory Protocol Interface Module or APIM. I had a pretty good idea that this would be the problem due, in part, to the wonderful Bronco6G forum!!

The resolution was for Ford to build me a new APIM (Ford has to custom build these modules because they are associated with navigation and are VIN specific) and the local service team would install it when it arrives. I was told that it could take anywhere from a week to two months.

The most positive experience that I’ve had with this ordeal is that Ford had my module built and back to my service department in less than two weeks. It was truly a fantastic turnaround and I felt that they made it a priority. Now… on to some frustrations. (And, remember, I’m only going into the frustrations that are relevant to the story. This isn’t even a complete picture of the complete lack of communication, disregard to (their own) schedule agreements and unbelievable arrogance that I’ve dealt with during this process.

The service department received the vehicle on a Friday for an appointment that was blocked out for 4 hours, 0900 to 1300. I dropped the rig off at 0630 before heading off to work. By 1630, I still hadn’t heard from my advisor so I called to inquire about the progress. I didn’t initially reach him, so he returned my call at about 1645. It seems that they had the new module installed, but they had just started the software install and the download time kicked back. Because the techs leave at 1700, they job would have to be finalized the following morning. This process didn’t go the way it was communicated and I ended up with a loaner vehicle on Saturday evening having never spoke to the tech working the weekend.

The following Monday at the days end, I put in a message to my advisor who had to return the call. He told me that the APIM wouldn’t communicate with the Body Control Module, so they created an event that involves a Ford consultant assisting remotely to troubleshoot the install. He said that Ford takes this very seriously, so it would be priority one. I would receive news by lunchtime the following day which would have been Tuesday.

On Tuesday, I hadn’t received word on the progress and was getting pretty nervous. I called mid-afternoon to see what I could find out. The advisor again returned my call at about 1645. He basically gave me the same story as the day before mentioning nothing of any progress of the current day. So I don’t know if they were just waiting for the Ford engineer to contact them back or if they hadn’t started the event the previous day as they said and were only just starting the process.

On Wednesday, I received a call closer to noon with my advisor stating that he had good and bad news. According to him, the APIM that Ford sent them was also faulty and they would have to build a new one. The good news is that they finally knew what was going on and the build would be expedited to possibly as little as 2 days (fat chance of that). He told me that they were putting in the old module and to come pick up my Bronco the following day. He said that it would be done by noon. I had to be out of town that day, so we agreed that I would bring the loaner car back closer to 1500. The time that I got the loaner back was very concerning to them for some reason. It was the day before Thanksgiving, so I think that they wanted to get it back and checked in before taking the following day off. I thought this was a little inconsiderate considering that they had my vehicle for a week for a service appointment that was supposed to be 4 hours. It’s worth noting that I made my 350mi. round trip very quickly because I didn’t want to miss the opportunity to get my rig back before Thanksgiving.

Almost back home the following day, I received a telephone call from my advisor in the service department. He asked how I felt about getting the Bronco back on Friday instead of the current day as he had previously stated. Because of his enthusiasm, I thought that he was telling me that they could have the entire issue resolved by Friday. I said, “Of course!” That if they could get it done by Friday, I wanted them to just keep it. He was silent for a few seconds. He then said sheepishly, “No. I mean Friday to get your old APIM back in the Bronco.” You can imagine how I reacted. This guy was just taking advantage of my patience at this point, right?

Anyway, that’s where I’m at. Friday I finally got my Bronco and I haven’t heard anything from them since. The vehicle now has entire systems that no longer function and a frameless window that leaks. The cameras don’t work and the side markers on the mirrors don’t blink. I’ve informed the advisor via text with no response. Ironically, my telephone calls work great in the cab and I haven’t heard any feedback over the speakers. However, the os software that they used as a patch must be a generic Ford software, because the graphics aren’t the original and the features don’t fit the 12” screen.

By the way, I love my Bronco. I’m just at my wits end. If this ends up being a lemon, unfortunately, I’m not sure if I’ll do it again. Any advice?
Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Maybe if you start talking loudly about buyback it may put some pep in their step

PowerBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Badlands, 07 FJ Cruiser, 04 WRX STI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are you able to take it to a different dealer?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stickman

Stickman

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That’s what my father-in-law says. You’re probably right. I’m really disappointed about all of this. I purposely didn’t buy this thing from my local dealer because of their reputation. I had reservations about a Ford in general because I’m not sure that I trust any department at this place. Unfortunately, my work schedule isn’t going to allow for me to drop it off in a different town for services. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Bronco. It’s the only vehicle that I have even considered buying new, but what I was concerned about happening is now happening.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Stickman

Stickman

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are you able to take it to a different dealer? Sounds to me like this dealer doesn't know how to, or isn't interested in helping with your issue.
I agree. That’s going to be the wise thing to do.
I have a 4/7 pin harness that I was planning to install. Now I’m nervous about it. After the install, I wanted to take it to the Ford garage to get programmed. I’m worried that if they can’t figure it out, they’ll try to blame it on me. Now I just don’t know. Do I let them install it (despite seeming unfamiliar with these vehicles) or do the work correctly and potentially end up with a fight.
Side note: Before I purchased the harness from the Ford website. I went into their service department to see about ordering it through them. They tried to tell me quite condescendingly that Ford didn’t make one for the Bronco.

Doc TOC

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition Max, Fusion Hybrid, HD Road King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It sounds like the dealership and Ford are trying to give you what you need and treat you fairly. They are trying to juggle their resources to make a lot of people happy, just like you do at your work place. It is not going to run perfectly every time. As a grown ass adult, you need to anticipate that - set your expectations to the complexity and limitations of the situation.

Don't let temporary frustrations distract you from the bigger goal - getting the APIM fixed properly and getting back to enjoying your Bronco. This is a small, temporary setback, not a loss.

There are some fools on this forum, unfortunately, that think bashing others is problem solving. I laugh at their ignorance and ignore them. Don't let their self-anger distract you from looking for a positive solution and having strength to persevere. If you look for problems, or expect them as a result, what do you think you get?

If you can improve the opportunity you have with this dealership, go for it. I am guessing probably not. So, adjust your expectations.

I have known the service advisor I go to for 25 years. At the beginning I told him I just want honesty in what I can expect regardless of the situation. He has treated me like their best customer. (I am vey sure I am not.) I get things done for me that I know others don't.

Maybe it's time for a different approach.

Dude1967

Outer Banks
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco 2 door Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It sounds like the dealership and Ford are trying to give you what you need and treat you fairly. They are trying to juggle their resources to make a lot of people happy, just like you do at your work place. It is not going to run perfectly every time. As a grown ass adult, you need to anticipate that - set your expectations to the complexity and limitations of the situation.

Don't let temporary frustrations distract you from the bigger goal - getting the APIM fixed properly and getting back to enjoying your Bronco. This is a small, temporary setback, not a loss.

There are some fools on this forum, unfortunately, that think bashing others is problem solving. I laugh at their ignorance and ignore them. Don't let their self-anger distract you from looking for a positive solution and having strength to persevere. If you look for problems, or expect them as a result, what do you think you get?

If you can improve the opportunity you have with this dealership, go for it. I am guessing probably not. So, adjust your expectations.

I have known the service advisor I go to for 25 years. At the beginning I told him I just want honesty in what I can expect regardless of the situation. He has treated me like their best customer. (I am vey sure I am not.) I get things done for me that I know others don't.

Well said. And I agree the boards are for good real time info. A good dealer that listens to the customer is priceless.

OP
OP
Stickman

Stickman

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

That is food for thought. I appreciate your optimism. However, if you think this dealership is doing their job correctly, that’s where we disagree. I am far better at my job than this. I will demand more from my dealership.
I understand what you’re saying about bashing people and I considered this before posting, but I needed to vent a little and wanted some advice from people who could possibly understand my experience. And your advice is definitely one that I anticipated because part of me feels the same way.

Doc TOC

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition Max, Fusion Hybrid, HD Road King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
#Stickman - I didn't think you were bashing the dealer. You seem like a reasonable Bronco owner trying to gauge what is going on out there. We get it when owners need to vent about their dealer or Ford. We have all been there, sometime more often than it should be.

Maybe ask the service manager if they would turn your ticket over to the advisor with the best communication skills. Remember its about the communication, not the service work (so far).

I hope this turns around for you and gets done properly and soon.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Stickman

Stickman

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks Doc. Me too. I really appreciate you taking the time.

PowerBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Badlands, 07 FJ Cruiser, 04 WRX STI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Updated my original response, as I can see how that can be taken as bashing on the dealer and that's not what I'm about. I've been in similar situations before and a fresh set of eyes on the problem has always been helpful.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

There is getting busy - that happens. Parts get back ordered - stuff happens

But if you say you are going to call a guy with an update - you call the guy. Even if it’s bad news. Especially if it’s bad news.

That’s all the dealer really needed to do differently here, and I bet this entire story, while it wouldn’t go from bad to good, would have an entirely different tone to it.

OP
OP
Stickman

Stickman

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Holy cow! You are exactly right! It’s not the work that needs to be done. I’m fine with all of that. Heck, it’s all under warrantee anyways.
It’s the communication that leaves me questioning competency. I understand stuff happens. I just want to know that everything is under control and be looped in on dilemmas and setbacks. Every job can be distilled down to customer service. It just depends on who you define as the customer.

menikmati

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Stickman Thanks for writing about your experience here. I just brought my 2022 Badlands into my local Ford dealer for two recalls (wiper motor sw update, seat belt latch plate access) and to diagnose Bluetooth connectivity issues. Same result: replace APIM under warranty. I am hopeful they can do this in a reasonable timeframe and I don't run into similar dealership communication issues. I hope things improve for you from here, and please update us if the APIM replacement doesn't fix things for some reason!
Sponsored