Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Snoqualmie Valley, Washington, USA, Planet Earth
Vehicle(s)
2001 F-150 XLT and 2022 Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was sitting in my Bronco (not driving, of course) and was messing around with the various apps available on Apple CarPlay. Some of them didn't work; instead I got the message, "Siri needs an Internet connection." Hmm. Never seen that before. I turned off the truck and turned it back on again. I did the same thing with my iPhone. Same message. I got home and Googled "apple carplay siri needs internet connection," and got all sorts of info and YouTube videos. Nothing new or noteworthy, however.

I began to wonder if maybe I'd inadvertently screwed something up when I disabled the double-honk and enable Bambi mode with my new OBDLink EX and ForScan.

Here's what it was: Somehow I had turned off the Cellular data option on my iPhone. I turned it back on, and now all the apps on Apple CarPlay are working again. I can check texts and voicemails, listen to the Dropkick Murphies on Spotify, etc.

It seems that in order for those apps to work on Apple CarPlay, your iPhone needs to be connected to the WiFi in your Bronco (happens automatically when your phone is paired), and you need to have cellular data enabled on your iPhone. Only took me about three hours of futzing around with my Bronco in the driveway, going back in the house to check more stuff on YouTube, back out to the Bronco, etc.

Yeah, this is no big deal. It's good to know I didn't screw up something, and it would have been embaressing to take my Bronco in for a warranty issue when it was just me f**king up a setting on my iPhone.

Seeya
ATB
Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I was sitting in my Bronco (not driving, of course) and was messing around with the various apps available on Apple CarPlay. Some of them didn't work; instead I got the message, "Siri needs an Internet connection." Hmm. Never seen that before. I turned off the truck and turned it back on again. I did the same thing with my iPhone. Same message. I got home and Googled "apple carplay siri needs internet connection," and got all sorts of info and YouTube videos. Nothing new or noteworthy, however.

I began to wonder if maybe I'd inadvertently screwed something up when I disabled the double-honk and enable Bambi mode with my new OBDLink EX and ForScan.

Here's what it was: Somehow I had turned off the Cellular data option on my iPhone. I turned it back on, and now all the apps on Apple CarPlay are working again. I can check texts and voicemails, listen to the Dropkick Murphies on Spotify, etc.

It seems that in order for those apps to work on Apple CarPlay, your iPhone needs to be connected to the WiFi in your Bronco (happens automatically when your phone is paired), and you need to have cellular data enabled on your iPhone. Only took me about three hours of futzing around with my Bronco in the driveway, going back in the house to check more stuff on YouTube, back out to the Bronco, etc.

Yeah, this is no big deal. It's good to know I didn't screw up something, and it would have been embaressing to take my Bronco in for a warranty issue when it was just me f**king up a setting on my iPhone.

Seeya
ATB
Reading this post makes me wonder if you accidentally butt-activated Siri and it just transcribed your phone conversation with someone to B6G. :LOL:

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

95% of the time CarPlay won’t connect for me anyway.. If I really want it (IE navigating somewhere via google maps on the screen) then I have to sit in the driveway and play this fun game of “how many restarts will it take to join today?”

sportcoupe

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
CarPlay requires the phone to be connected via USB or phone wifi must be on in order to use wireless CarPlay.

Siri cannot lookup info for you unless cellular device has an internet signal.

BroncoA512021

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

CarPlay is an apple product that needs you apple phone with a connection to work...

Sponsored

Bugkillah

Base
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Nissan 370Z Nismo, Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Base
I typically reboot my phone prior to getting in, connects 99% of the time first try after that. And I leave cellular data on ;~).

Sandbergo

Outer Banks
First Name
Jelani & Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

95% of the time CarPlay won’t connect for me anyway.. If I really want it (IE navigating somewhere via google maps on the screen) then I have to sit in the driveway and play this fun game of “how many restarts will it take to join today?”
I’ve had much better success turning the Bronco on fully then plugging my phone into the usb. Seems if I plug it in before start up that it doesn’t want to recognize the phone. Just my experience, hope it might help yours.

jrollo7

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ever try the reset of FordSync? Worked for me.

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’ve had much better success turning the Bronco on fully then plugging my phone into the usb. Seems if I plug it in before start up that it doesn’t want to recognize the phone. Just my experience, hope it might help yours.
I’m talking about wireless.. I’ve never tried plugging it in and probably wouldn’t use it if I had to

Sponsored

Sandbergo

Outer Banks
First Name
Jelani & Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The wireless connection always seemed to struggle plus I plug my phone in to charge so it makes more sense. If you use the wireless charging I understand but even that is limited as for charging speed. I turned off my wireless connection cause it was redundant since I plug it in anyway. Well hopefully someone figures out how to help out. 🤘🏻

29AGAIN

Big Bend
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1929 Ford Roadster, 2019 Tesla MS, 2022 Bronco BB
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

9 months in, CarPlay has driven me nuckin futz with its random refusal to launch. Many a time Ive pulled over a block from the house and clicked button after button trying to launch what was working perfectly sometimes just minutes before %*<|}>. #%€*

Yes, cellular data is required (although data thru the AT&T in the truck might work? Donno since Ive never had it). On ios, easy enough to check at a glance at the status at top right of the phone screen.

What I have had 100% success with in launching CarPlay lately is, before I even get in the truck to start is to go to the app on my phone - TuneIn is my go-to - and start the programming. Then when I climb aboard and start the truck, Carplay promptly launches and takes the handoff from my phone. This is all wireless BTW.

Does anyone else launch CarPlay this way??
29A

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Tried resetting the stereo and ironically Carplay was connected before the reset and wouldn’t connect after like usual.. so no luck. For about 6 months it worked 100% flawlessly then about 3-4 months now it’s rare if it works at all

29AGAIN

Big Bend
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1929 Ford Roadster, 2019 Tesla MS, 2022 Bronco BB
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Make sure you haven’t deselected CarPlay in Settings >General>CarPlay>Bronco>CarPlay: ON

If that’s all OK, perhaps then delete the app off your phone, reboot your phone, then download a new copy of the app to your phone, making sure you have logged in correctly to that app (if required). Then open that and launch that app on your phone before you even get in the truck and see if CarPlay takes the hand off when you get in and start the truck.

Just spitballing here : good luck
29A

Dezperado

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My CarPlay works great. Sorry you folks are having trouble. Since the connection between phone and car is fairly basic, the problem may be in your cellular service or phone settings.
Sponsored