Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just wait for that 1st person to use his/her phone as a key who has it fall out of his pocket and smash to pieces on a rock. Then he or she will be stuck because they left the key fob at home ?
Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have the FordPass app on my 2019 Raptor. You can start, lock and unlock the car. You can also see TMPS even when it is the engine is off. And you can see location. My wife has a 2018 F150 and I can keep track of her movements. :)

And the cool thing is the app even displays the actual color of you vehicle

Ford Bronco Apple Digital Key 1597279644930

Ford Bronco Apple Digital Key 1597279674813

They have the app (FordPass, or something like that) where you can already do that (assuming you have an automatic transmission and that function available to you).

The GF uses the app daily with her Ranger. It also gives you TSB's maintence scheduling and a host of other info from your vehicle.

regularbronco

First Edition
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yes and my Wife's 2020 Murano has it, but it Nissan charges a subscription; fine their choice, but it's a turn off. Our 18 150 Platinum has the Ford Pass and it's free. It's about the most glitch free app on my phone.

Screenshot_20200812-195804.jpg

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
These are the kind of choices you need to make yourself. This is sort like not having a spare tire and relying on thos e repair kits that don't often work.

Sponsored

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
And secondly does the car even still have a mechanical lock cylinder on it's exterior, those will go away too

SPS4

First Edition
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Apple’s method eliminates the key fob. The iPhone or Apple Watch becomes the key fob.
AND you can sent a key token via message to give someone else a "key". It's pretty awesome functionality. Our phones go everywhere with us, making the fob unnecessary.

Sammy7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just wait for that 1st person to use his/her phone as a key who has it fall out of his pocket and smash to pieces on a rock. Then he or she will be stuck because they left the key fob at home ?
So they’ll be in the same boat as anyone else who lost their keys in the 100+ years of cars having keys?

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
AND you can sent a key token via message to give someone else a "key". It's pretty awesome functionality. Our phones go everywhere with us, making the fob unnecessary.
As cool as this sounds, the security aspect of it is scary. What could possibly go wrong?

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Has anyone heard whether there will be compatibility with Apple’s new digital car key function? It would be nice to unlock and start the Bronco with an iPhone or an Apple Watch.
Not for awhile, the first vehicle will be a BMW;

“Apple CarKey” said:
But the biggest part of this announcement is the support of digital car keys via a CarKey app - with the 2021 BMW 5 Series being the first car to support this functionality.

Sponsored

ohvrider

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford had this long ago. You install FordPass on iphone and you unlock, lock, start car, check gas, oil %, and air pressure from the app.

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford had this long ago. You install FordPass on iphone and you unlock, lock, start car, check gas, oil %, and air pressure from the app.
That's not a key

A key allows you to drive off

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3, Mustang, Tacoma, Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
For the record - Teslas implementation of this is their own and not Apple's architecture.

Also for the record, not carrying keys is great. I wear golf pants/shorts pretty much all the time and often keys in the pocket will cause this coloring change on the face of the pants so not carrying keys around is super great!

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Lincoln has the phone as a key feature since the 2020 Aviator. I believe its done through Lincoln's version of the FordPass app (I think it's Lincoln Way or something like that), and isn't done through Apple.

But I don't think that feature is making its way to Bronco.
Sponsored