Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The only advantage I can think of by it being wireless is that one can relocate it (or initially place it) in some other location. Some have liked the idea of mounting it inside the fuel door rather than have the tacked on look. I personally don't think the look is bad, especially a factory one that is color matched.

I've had keypad on my 02 Explorer which led me to get it for the Bronco. With the explorer I tended to use keypad half the time rather than pull out my remote. I still had to pull out my keys to drive though. Sometimes the keypad was just easier when hands were full than digging out my keys.

With my Bronco, where I only need to have my key on me, I almost exclusively use the keypad and just leave the key buried in my purse. If my hands will be too full to use the key pad, I use the phone app to unlock it before I grab everything and start walking out to it.
Yeah, I will probably put it inside the fuel door as well. I can't remember what I was thinking so long ago, BUT it's probably worth the $100 just to be guaranteed I'll never be able to lock myself out of the vehicle.

Maybe another dumb question here, but... does the thing need a battery or some way to recharge? Without energy, how long will one of these things last?
Sponsored

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Is that to prevent scanning? Or is that to enable the doors to lock - because my Fusion is able to lock them in with - do it all the time when I lock my dog in for a quick pickup in the deli - so I can keep A/C running for him.
So you can lock the doors with key fob inside.
I leave windows down go surf and leave the Bruno inside .
Ford Bronco There was something about that digital keypad... help me remember Screenshot_20220628-172409_Gallery

72F262

Big Bend
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BB 2D, '18 GT350, '72 F250 2wd, '72 Mach 1 CJ
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yes, wireless and no way to replace the battery is what I remember from some old threads.

Reactions: bek

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Okay guys, I'll be honest, I always thought that was the most useless accessory ever. But I was reading something about it many months ago, and someone brought up a really good point, but now I can't remember what it was.

I've never actually had one on a car. Is there a use for it besides, "oh, crap, I left my keys elsewhere?"
It's a known memory aid!

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you need access but don't have cell phone service to open with the app
I reprogrammed my Bronco to not communicate with the outside world, so no opening it or remote starting it with the app. Never missed that feature.

I regularly use the keypad to lock and unlock my Bronco. One rainy morning the keypad didn't work to open it. I think I tried three times then ran back into my house and grabbed the other fob. A few days later I visited a local locksmith and had a "key" made so that I can unlock it without using any electronic means. I pretty much always carry a key ring with me with keys to three of the five vehicles that I own - the other two keys are just too huge. One way or the other I'll be able to get into my Bronco without having to carry that big FOB around with me all the time.

Sponsored

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Is that to prevent scanning? Or is that to enable the doors to lock - because my Fusion is able to lock them in with - do it all the time when I lock my dog in for a quick pickup in the deli - so I can keep A/C running for him.
That’a false information on the scanning. There was a good write up here last week about our key “going to sleep” after a minute of not moving to prevent this exact situation.

I’ve locked my keys in the Bronco with my keypad plenty of times. Only do it in a trusted location and never overnight considering the soft top can be easily breached.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

That’a false information on the scanning. There was a good write up here last week about our key “going to sleep” after a minute of not moving to prevent this exact situation.

I’ve locked my keys in the Bronco with my keypad plenty of times. Only do it in a trusted location and never overnight considering the soft top can be easily breached.
I don't know if I'd say it's false info about the scanning - that's a real thing, maybe not for the Bronco key if it goes to "sleep" but my friend had her BMW stolen out of her driveway - the key was in the house and they scanned it...car was gone in less than 40 seconds.

Agreed on the trusted location, but sometimes even your own driveway isn't safe.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
@Rick Astley is a huge fan of them being wireless and has written about the joys he has experienced.
Still have the same 5th unit on the Ranger. It's been dead for over a year now.

Rumor is that the newest version (after the 3rd TSB on the same part) is flawless, so we're hoping they warranty out the 5th unit so we get to hit the half-dozen mark.

Lucas is alive and well, making electrical components Ford outsourced.

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Maybe another dumb question here, but... does the thing need a battery or some way to recharge? Without energy, how long will one of these things last?
I really feel these things are reverse innovation. My 2002 Explorer with conventional key and a basic remote the remote is still working 20 years later and battery has never been replaced. These key fobs don't require a key which is convenient, but I find info that says battery goes bad between 3 and 7 years.

As for the keypad, it is battery powered, it does not recharge. I do not know how long it will last. Searches tend to pick up more key fob battery. At least the keypad can be more passive than the actual key fob. They aren't really made to have battery replaced so the expectation one has to replace keypad when battery dies. I do see that some have successfully replaced the battery though.

Sponsored

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes, wireless and no way to replace the battery is what I remember from some old threads.
The batteries tend to last at least 3-4 years minimum. And they can be changed. But it's not super easy.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The batteries tend to last at least 3-4 years minimum. And they can be changed. But it's not super easy.
The Ford documentation says that they can't be changed. Maybe you could put together a tutorial for the rest of us showing how to do it.

smiths65

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 RAM1500 BigHorn
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can use keypad to lock the doors without the honk. In either case, you certainly didn't forget the fob.
Double honk only happens when bronco is running & you exit w/ fob in pocket

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Why are people touching the fob at all? Doesn’t your bronco unlock when you touch the door handle?
The Base model doesn't work that way.
Double honk only happens when bronco is running & you exit w/ fob in pocket
If you hit the door lock button with the fob inside, then shut the door, you'll get a double-honk.
Sponsored