Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Okay guys, I'll be honest, I always thought that was the most useless accessory ever. But I was reading something about it many months ago, and someone brought up a really good point, but now I can't remember what it was.

I've never actually had one on a car. Is there a use for it besides, "oh, crap, I left my keys elsewhere?"
Sponsored

OP
OP
bek

bek

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

When going surfing or riding a bike it comes in handy.
Yeah, I imagine. There was another reason, though... something about it being "wireless." Wish I could remember what I had read.

gaaangs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had one on my explorer about 10 years ago and it's been my favorite car accessory ever. You can literally just lock your keys in the car and never have to bring them with you.

I HATE having stuff in my pockets and carrying keys, so that's big for me.

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay guys, I'll be honest, I always thought that was the most useless accessory ever. But I was reading something about it many months ago, and someone brought up a really good point, but now I can't remember what it was.

I've never actually had one on a car. Is there a use for it besides, "oh, crap, I left my keys elsewhere?"
I use it when I go paddle boarding or mountain biking. I don’t have to worry about bringing my keys with me and potentially getting them submerged or damaged in a fall or lost. Love the keypad.

Sponsored

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Oh crap, I left my keys in my car? Which would be difficult with the double honk

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you need access but don't have cell phone service to open with the app

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You lose your fob and need to get your wallet or personal belongings.

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You have to use an rfid bag to enclose fob before locking door

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You can use keypad to lock the doors without the honk. In either case, you certainly didn't forget the fob.

Sponsored

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah, I imagine. There was another reason, though... something about it being "wireless." Wish I could remember what I had read.
The only advantage I can think of by it being wireless is that one can relocate it (or initially place it) in some other location. Some have liked the idea of mounting it inside the fuel door rather than have the tacked on look. I personally don't think the look is bad, especially a factory one that is color matched.

I've had keypad on my 02 Explorer which led me to get it for the Bronco. With the explorer I tended to use keypad half the time rather than pull out my remote. I still had to pull out my keys to drive though. Sometimes the keypad was just easier when hands were full than digging out my keys.

With my Bronco, where I only need to have my key on me, I almost exclusively use the keypad and just leave the key buried in my purse. If my hands will be too full to use the key pad, I use the phone app to unlock it before I grab everything and start walking out to it.

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Is that to prevent scanning? Or is that to enable the doors to lock - because my Fusion is able to lock them in with - do it all the time when I lock my dog in for a quick pickup in the deli - so I can keep A/C running for him.

brtd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' BL, '15 LR4, '22 Beta 390-RS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wouldn't have chosen to add it, but my BL came with it. I'm actually quite happy to have it now. I didn't use it for the first month but recently programmed a custom code.

I don't lock my car at home (rural) and my keys usually live in the center console. But when I am in town I lock my vehicles. That usually means fob in pocket.

Now that I have a memorized code, I never need to touch my fob. Quite nice.

KPLOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If the car is locked and I go out there to get something out of it I can easily unlock it instead of going back inside to get my key

Kansas49er

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If the car is locked and I go out there to get something out of it I can easily unlock it instead of going back inside to get my key
This is definitely the use that I most often find convenient on my Fusion and wife's Edge that both have a keyless entry pad.
Sponsored