Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'69 Chevelle 2020 Chevy Traverse 2009 9-7x Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hope I am putting this in the right place, forgive me if not. I can't complain to my neighbors because they drive fuel efficient vehicles and dont understand but I figured my Bronco brethren here might relate. I am not sure, but I think this is a general thoughts section and these are some general thoughts that perhaps Ford may find viable. It's also possible that I am mistaken, and someone may enlighten me but please be kind cause I'm a beginner.

1) Why no manual? My last vehicle had way more pages than the Bronco PDF and they had no problems putting one out. I like flipping pages and it allows me to discover interesting things about my vehicle that I may not have been looking for. I don't want to sit in my garage going through a menu on a small screen for something that sounds like what I may be looking for either.

2) What is the value of lane drift warning where you have to keep your eyes off the road and on the display in order to see if you're drifting? My last vehicle would howl at me if I came close to a road stripe. If I got tired, it would wake me up. The Bronco is mute - no audible warnings at all. I thought it was not working and totally surprised that such a pricy vehicle had no audible warning. Also, I've noticed, that it's not very good at all with markings. A great number of the time I can run over very clearly defined ones and it never warns me.

3) Electronics gone wild on this thing. I mean randomly I will get a variety of angry messages, like "Hill Start Assist Not Available", "Service AdvanceTrac", "Check Brake System", "Pre-Collision Assist Not Available", etc. - and I'm not even moving. The instrument cluster sometimes does funky things like flicker.

4) Spyware. Reading the PDF makes you realize how much spyware is installed in this thing. It's a bit bizarre, especially when it warns you that:
- " If you use our services, we collect and use data, for example account information, vehicle location and driving characteristics, that could identify you. We transmit this data through a dedicated, protected connection. We only collect and use data to enable your use of our services to which you have subscribed, with your consent or where permitted by law. " --Ok, so like your smart phone don't use the service I guess? It simply clutters the menus.
- "We may provide information in response to requests from law enforcement, other government authorities and third parties acting with lawful authority or through a legal process. Such information could be used by them in legal proceedings.
Data recorded includes, for example:
  • Operating states of system components, for example fuel level, tire pressure and battery charge level.
  • Vehicle and component status, for example wheel speed, deceleration, lateral acceleration and seatbelt status.
  • Events or errors in essential systems, for example headlamps and brakes.
  • System responses to driving situations, for example airbag deployment and stability control.
  • Environmental conditions, for example temperature.
Some of this data, when used in combination with other information, for example an accident report, damage to a vehicle or eyewitness statements, could be associated with a specific person. " -- And your vehicle becomes witness against you? Sounds like an Orwellian vehicle.
5) The cameras on this thing are useless when it rains. I would not complain about this because after all they are getting wet but in other vehicles I've own they simply were not so bad. Meaning I could still make things out as they had some level of protection but with the Bronco, they simply become useless.

I was always a true believer of the Rubicon but thought I'd give Ford a try...considering the covid price I paid for this FE, I feel a bit stupid now. Again, this could be the ramblings of a Ford newbie who just doesn't understand how things work but I guess that's what this forum is about so I definitely appreciate any input. Thanks.
Go buy that Jeep. Go.
Sponsored

tripmcl

Badlands
First Name
Trip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Bronco, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Definitely a magnet for chips. Hood deflector seems to help.
Can't stand all the warnings about front detector being blocked every time I drive in snow and it ices over.

jimmy234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
PDFs exist online, it's super simple to download one. The nice thing about it being in the SYNC4 system is that it's searchable. They're also a cost that almost no manufacturer needs to endure anymore. And to be honest, why should they? It's wasteful. How many people read these things cover-to-cover? Very few I bet.
No matter how many times people say this, I straight-up disagree. It takes seconds to find something in any printed manual worth its salt. Between the table of contents and the index, you'll find what you need in no time. There are just so many situations when you NEED the manual but the reason you need it is because your electronics are down/spotty. So many people acting like car manuals are thousands of pages when in reality most don't breach a couple hundred.

I don't buy the wasteful thing, either. We've figured out how to plant trees long ago, and any arguments about the production process for a manual being wasteful when you're buying a beast like this are moot in my eyes lol (not sure if that's even your angle on "wasteful," but I can't really think what else you might mean)

BadBradBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I hope I am putting this in the right place, forgive me if not. I can't complain to my neighbors because they drive fuel efficient vehicles and dont understand but I figured my Bronco brethren here might relate. I am not sure, but I think this is a general thoughts section and these are some general thoughts that perhaps Ford may find viable. It's also possible that I am mistaken, and someone may enlighten me but please be kind cause I'm a beginner.

1) Why no manual? My last vehicle had way more pages than the Bronco PDF and they had no problems putting one out. I like flipping pages and it allows me to discover interesting things about my vehicle that I may not have been looking for. I don't want to sit in my garage going through a menu on a small screen for something that sounds like what I may be looking for either.

2) What is the value of lane drift warning where you have to keep your eyes off the road and on the display in order to see if you're drifting? My last vehicle would howl at me if I came close to a road stripe. If I got tired, it would wake me up. The Bronco is mute - no audible warnings at all. I thought it was not working and totally surprised that such a pricy vehicle had no audible warning. Also, I've noticed, that it's not very good at all with markings. A great number of the time I can run over very clearly defined ones and it never warns me.

3) Electronics gone wild on this thing. I mean randomly I will get a variety of angry messages, like "Hill Start Assist Not Available", "Service AdvanceTrac", "Check Brake System", "Pre-Collision Assist Not Available", etc. - and I'm not even moving. The instrument cluster sometimes does funky things like flicker.

4) Spyware. Reading the PDF makes you realize how much spyware is installed in this thing. It's a bit bizarre, especially when it warns you that:
- " If you use our services, we collect and use data, for example account information, vehicle location and driving characteristics, that could identify you. We transmit this data through a dedicated, protected connection. We only collect and use data to enable your use of our services to which you have subscribed, with your consent or where permitted by law. " --Ok, so like your smart phone don't use the service I guess? It simply clutters the menus.
- "We may provide information in response to requests from law enforcement, other government authorities and third parties acting with lawful authority or through a legal process. Such information could be used by them in legal proceedings.
  • Operating states of system components, for example fuel level, tire pressure and battery charge level.
  • Vehicle and component status, for example wheel speed, deceleration, lateral acceleration and seatbelt status.
  • System responses to driving situations, for example airbag deployment and stability control.
Some of this data, when used in combination with other information, for example an accident report, damage to a vehicle or eyewitness statements, could be associated with a specific person. " -- And your vehicle becomes witness against you? Sounds like an Orwellian vehicle.
5) The cameras on this thing are useless when it rains. I would not complain about this because after all they are getting wet but in other vehicles I've own they simply were not so bad. Meaning I could still make things out as they had some level of protection but with the Bronco, they simply become useless.

I was always a true believer of the Rubicon but thought I'd give Ford a try...considering the covid price I paid for this FE, I feel a bit stupid now. Again, this could be the ramblings of a Ford newbie who just doesn't understand how things work but I guess that's what this forum is about so I definitely appreciate any input. Thanks.
I wish I had a Bronco to complain about…

Tacanta14

Black Diamond
First Name
Wasichu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond 4 Door 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

I think the CEO of Ford got paid $23,000,000 last year, and the price of my 2022 BD just increased by $1250.00 (somewhere around that), but they can't spend a buck or 2 and print a frickin manual' WTF!

Sponsored

AzGoat

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

filup01

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
You missed the biggest complaint, the price. It should be cheaper since in a lot of cases (base model), it’s a pretty basic vehicle.
You’re right about the manual though. I also like reading through the book. I know I can order one but it should come with every vehicle (see above comment about price)
As far as “spyware”, you’re right again but there’s a huge caveat that a lot of people miss and that Ford doesn’t tell you in plain English. Tesla for example, we think of as a electric car company (which they are) but it’s also a data company. Every mile you drive, every turn you make, and every everything you do in that car is recorded and sent back to Tesla to help build its autonomous driving platform. Ford is doing the same with its little programs that you mentioned. This all sounds cool and it is but, as we know, data is inevitably breached, sold, or traded and often time to nefarious people. Is it good, yes but it can also be bad.
The other stuff, yeah, I agree with too.

OP
OP

TJay

First Edition
First Name
Tee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FE Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

1) I have it in PDF but I get your point and would have preferred for them to print the manual.

2) Check your lane departure settings. Mine is set to give haptic feedback in the steering wheel so you're never looking down. That said I turned it off when I first bought the bronco and it was turned back on when the windshield was replaced and they recalibrated the system.

3) Haven't seen that yet. I got some warnings when sensors had ice/snow on them during winter, but otherwise I don't get any of that.

4) Spyware is something we'll have to get use to because all modern cars are being built with it.

5) The cameras work fine in the rain for me.

Also when you say "covid price I paid for this FE", meaning you bought off the lot at a large markup? That was probably a mistake. For the price of the first edition plus markup I would gone with many other different vehicles. As it stands I bought the badlands and have been pretty happy with the purchase. My only issues have been cracking/replacing the windshield was a pain, and the MIC roof sound was irritating before I fixed it with foam.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/members/bdub2you.5339/, Thank you for the input.
1) I have it in PDF but I get your point and would have preferred for them to print the manual.

2) Check your lane departure settings. Mine is set to give haptic feedback in the steering wheel so you're never looking down. That said I turned it off when I first bought the bronco and it was turned back on when the windshield was replaced and they recalibrated the system.

3) Haven't seen that yet. I got some warnings when sensors had ice/snow on them during winter, but otherwise I don't get any of that.

4) Spyware is something we'll have to get use to because all modern cars are being built with it.

5) The cameras work fine in the rain for me.

Also when you say "covid price I paid for this FE", meaning you bought off the lot at a large markup? That was probably a mistake. For the price of the first edition plus markup I would gone with many other different vehicles. As it stands I bought the badlands and have been pretty happy with the purchase. My only issues have been cracking/replacing the windshield was a pain, and the MIC roof sound was irritating before I fixed it with foam.
Bdub2you, thank you for the input. BTW, others have pointed me to urls that sell the manual so that was helpful as well. Take care.

Gilmerky

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevrolet Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can throw my cell phone out the window. I can’t throw my bronco out the window.

After reading this thread I went out and removed the fuse from my Telematics modem.

219F22C5-AD10-46A2-9322-AA584213FFBC.jpeg
You might as well plug it back in. Pretty much any car with airbags retains pre-collision data including speeds, brake application, throttle position, steering angle, etc. on the airbag control module. It’s not exactly routine but if you crash and seriously injure or kill someone that data is often ripped and then used against you. Just a heads up.

notbuildingrockets

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond, 2010 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No matter how many times people say this, I straight-up disagree. It takes seconds to find something in any printed manual worth its salt. Between the table of contents and the index, you'll find what you need in no time. There are just so many situations when you NEED the manual but the reason you need it is because your electronics are down/spotty. So many people acting like car manuals are thousands of pages when in reality most don't breach a couple hundred.

I don't buy the wasteful thing, either. We've figured out how to plant trees long ago, and any arguments about the production process for a manual being wasteful when you're buying a beast like this are moot in my eyes lol (not sure if that's even your angle on "wasteful," but I can't really think what else you might mean)
I mean everyone has a phone these days, no? You can just as easily Google the manual on your phone and look up whatever you need, while you're working on the problem. Or YouTube the problem. Or try Reddit, or the Bronco forums, or download the PDF and print it yourself. It's 2022, there's at least half a dozen other ways for you to get the answers you're looking for in your owner's manual.

And as far as it being wasteful, yeah... that's exactly what I'm talking about. I understand the hypocrisy of buying a fuel inefficient ICE vehicle and then complaining about waste but think about it this way: Ford is heading in that direction with virtually its entire lineup. Tens of thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of vehicles churned out every single year without a superfluous owners manual. Not only is it less wasteful, it's also probably not an insignificant cost savings for them. I get it from both an environmental perspective, and a cost-savings perspective. And it doesn't inconvenience me in the slightest, because physical owner's manuals are antiquated and I'm not useless on a smart phone lol

Reactions: Jdc

Sponsored

Bigmatt

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Possibly a Lincoln would be a better choice for you.

Benzito

Base
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Minor pet peeve, in the grand scheme of (1) people waiting almost two years, (2) chipped windshields, and (3) 2.7L engine problems, but why did they design it so the right wiper blade hits the antenna? Did they think that everyone would just remove the antenna or nobody bothers to clean their windshield when they fill up at the gas station?

Oh, and chipped windshield,.

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

but why did they design it so the right wiper blade hits the antenna? Did they think that everyone would just remove the antenna or nobody bothers to clean their windshield when they fill up at the gas station?

Oh, and chipped windshield,.
have both and can't understand it hahaaha
Sponsored