Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yup on the waiting list, but no updates as of yet
They are using my Bronco for R&D and they’ve had it for 5 weeks come Friday so I expect it to be very soon.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll admit, I haven't read the whole thread and don't know how feasible this is ... but not being able to have a roof rack that's compatible with a soft top is a huge bummer. If someone figured out a way to make a functional, attractive, and noninvasive roof rack for soft tops, I'd buy one.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay skimmed the thread -- would love an exo-frame style roofrack for a soft top consider me watching the thread intently

OP
OP
EIGHTLUG

EIGHTLUG

First Edition
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G2 Raptor, GT350, Land Rover SERIES and DEFENDER
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I am in desperate need of a nice and light rack to put a tent on. Something like the OEM one but with higher load rating and that covers the entire roof not just 3/4 on the 4D.

Basically this but lighter:

https://zroadz.com/i-23915798-2021-ford-bronco-roof-rack-pn-z845401.html#!year=2021||make=FORD||model=BRONCO||submodel=BADLANDS

Any update?
Ours is 'similar'ish' in design to that. We're using a mix of billet aluminum, extruded aluminum, carbon composite in the structure and carbon fiber for the fairing. This thing will be super light and very robust. I'll also be running the Bronco with the roof rack installed in both a virtual wind tunnel and actual wind tunnel. I want it quiet with near zero added wind noise.

Sponsored

internationlriders

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Healthy dynamic weight limit and ability to remove hard top panels with the rack on.

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ours is 'similar'ish' in design to that. We're using a mix of billet aluminum, extruded aluminum, carbon composite in the structure and carbon fiber for the fairing. This thing will be super light and very robust. I'll also be running the Bronco with the roof rack installed in both a virtual wind tunnel and actual wind tunnel. I want it quiet with near zero added wind noise.
I like that. Will we have option to bolt the rear down to the roof frame, or will it just sit on the roof like OEM? Would be nice to have both options.

So far the best option for the Bronco is:

https://badasstents.com/product/2021-22-ford-new-bronco-full-size-roof-rack/

It’s lighter than the zroadz, it allows to remove both front and mid roof panels, and it’s cheaper. The design especially the front doesn’t look the best. And it can’t bolt down.

I look forward to see your option.

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I like that. Will we have option to bolt the rear down to the roof frame, or will it just sit on the roof like OEM? Would be nice to have both options.

So far the best option for the Bronco is:

https://badasstents.com/product/2021-22-ford-new-bronco-full-size-roof-rack/

It’s lighter than the zroadz, it allows to remove both front and mid roof panels, and it’s cheaper. The design especially the front doesn’t look the best. And it can’t bolt down.

I look forward to see your option.
Don't mind this at all. You're right it doesn't look the best but imo the best option thus far.

I'll wait for AR, my credit card is already very familiar with them lol

Rrpilot

First Edition
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So far sounds good. I especially like how you guys tend to be more innovative and untraditional.

A couple of things to consider.
First and foremost please do not use round tubing, I loath tubing as it's old, dated and just looks like external roll bars. I like the looks of the Ford Factory rack with rectangular and custom extruded and cast parts.
Secondly, modularity should be key. To customize the shape and functionality. From basic rail system to full on overlanding rig.
Lastly maintain capability to easily remove hard top roof panels. (Sorry softop folks, but your version is phase 2)

Curtis, let us know how we can help and to get this project moving.

Sponsored
OP
OP
EIGHTLUG

EIGHTLUG

First Edition
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So far sounds good. I especially like how you guys tend to be more innovative and untraditional.

A couple of things to consider.
First and foremost please do not use round tubing, I loath tubing as it's old, dated and just looks like external roll bars. I like the looks of the Ford Factory rack with rectangular and custom extruded and cast parts.
Secondly, modularity should be key. To customize the shape and functionality. From basic rail system to full on overlanding rig.
Lastly maintain capability to easily remove hard top roof panels. (Sorry softop folks, but your version is phase 2)

Curtis, let us know how we can help and to get this project moving.
Our design ingredients are:
  • Extruded Aluminum
  • Carbon Composite
  • Carbon Fiber
  • Stainless Steel
  • Billet Aluminum
Probably not the cheapest route. Fundamentally, we don't design to a price point. You simply can't, when your goal is to execute at the highest level.

Not to show our hand too much, but the design leans more toward whats pictured below. And you hit the nail on the head with all of your other points. All of that and more is being captured in our roof rack design.

Screenshot 2021-12-21 105348.jpg

OP
OP
EIGHTLUG

EIGHTLUG

First Edition
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
@EIGHTLUG are you doing 2 and 4 door versions? 👍🏻
With the modular design of this rack, they are one in the same. So yes. 2 and 4 door is happening concurrently.

wbrainbow

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 C-10, 2022 Black Diamond, 2007 Harley Davidso
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Man, if anyone was gonna tackle this…

My thoughts: exo-frame with sliding/locking crossbars so that you can move them back to fold back front row or move up to access the cargo hatch as needed.

Perhaps the crossbars can be easily removed/replaced to fold the soft top all the way down too?
Maybe a removable panel over the seats
on posts with pins.