Sponsored

Are the 2.7L engine issues a thing of the past?

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

25k miles on my Aug 2021 build 2.7L. Zero engine issues so far.
Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Is it carbon or is it the innards of black plastic fuel tank? At least that was the issue 20 years ago with Dodge/Ram hemi engines. An annual flush of the lines was necessary
Carbon, the 2.3 is direct injected, the 2.7 has both DI and port so it "washes" the valve. The new 2.3 will have both as well but right now it's only reported available on the new '24 Mustang but should roll-out to the other models eventually.

Here's a couple of articles:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2-3-ecoboost-carbon-buildup.3117/

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2-3-ecoboost-engine-the-details-you-should-know.27144/

Here's a good one as well:

https://fordauthority.com/2022/08/f...ildup-issue-solved-via-walnut-blasting-video/

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This guy discusses the common issues. Ford has addressed these with design changes in the 2nd Gen 2.7. Sounds like changing the oil more frequently is prudent.

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You want me to make a video of my 2.7 cam phasers rattling like a 5.9 Cummins on start up? It goes in Monday for and engine out cam phaser replacement with 36,000mi on the odo. I switched my HE order to a 2.3 if that tells you anything.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored
OP
OP
tsquared5

tsquared5

Badlands
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Pilot, 90 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This guy discusses the common issues. Ford has addressed these with design changes in the 2nd Gen 2.7. Sounds like changing the oil more frequently is prudent.

Thanks!

Brinko

Outer Banks
First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Where have you seen these cracked heads, and can you please quantify “a lot”? I’m not disputing your claim. Just looking for a little more information. Thanks.
my boyfriend is a technician for ford and its a common problem that hes seen quite often at work. Cracked heads with the 2.7s really only start happening until about 100,000miles. I know not everyone keeps their cars for that long, but im planning to with my bronco, so that was enough for me to go with the 2.3L, plus the other common issues with the 2.7s. To each their own though🙂

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Carbon, the 2.3 is direct injected, the 2.7 has both DI and port so it "washes" the valve. The new 2.3 will have both as well but right now it's only reported available on the new '24 Mustang but should roll-out to the other models eventually.
Could be a mixed bag. On the Mustang Ford is reportedly only pairing the new 2.3 with the slush-box. Death of any interest in the new 2.3 if forced to take an automatic.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Could be a mixed bag. On the Mustang Ford is reportedly only pairing the new 2.3 with the slush-box. Death of any interest in the new 2.3 if forced to take an automatic.
I read it that way too, I'm sure the rattle box manual is on its way out once the new engine is available in the Bronco.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

my boyfriend is a technician for ford and its a common problem that hes seen quite often at work. Cracked heads with the 2.7s really only start happening until about 100,000miles. I know not everyone keeps their cars for that long, but im planning to with my bronco, so that was enough for me to go with the 2.3L, plus the other common issues with the 2.7s. To each their own though🙂
The head gasket issue was a Gen 1 issue as well. Most vehicles impacted were 2016 and 2017.
Defect in the cylinder head and head gaskets
Ford issued an updated service bulletin in 2019 regarding some 2016-2017 F-150 vehicles for having a defect in the cylinder head valve guides (which causes damage to the head gaskets).

https://www.driveandreview.com/ford-2-7-ecoboost-problems/

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

FYI...I'm not a Ford fanboy. Every vehicle from every manufacturer has a chance to have a massive, expensive failure. This engine is the standard engine for the F150. The costs to Ford in terms of warranty repair and reputation for this engine are huge.

I like the 2.3L as well. Wildtrak only comes in the 2.7L, so no choice for me! I will likely get the extended warranty for some piece of mind, since I tend to hold onto my trucks for over 10 years.
Sponsored