Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good Morning All!

I recently bought a Bronco and have been enjoying it all around! I have just over 8,000 miles on it and it recently started making a sound under load around 2,300-3,500 RPM. It sounds to me like an exhaust leak and I've tried poking around under the hood and all over the exhaust. It's just hard to tell where it's coming from since everything is wrapped in that heat shield and the engine is an absolute mess. From the inside it sounds like it's coming from just behind the screen and slightly to the right. I figure I'll take it in but can't anytime soon due to work. I know the 2.7 has been having issues and just wanted to see if anyone else has come across this sound. I attached a video of it.

Thanks!

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Good Morning All!

I recently bought a Bronco and have been enjoying it all around! I have just over 8,000 miles on it and it recently started making a sound under load around 2,300-3,500 RPM. It sounds to me like an exhaust leak and I've tried poking around under the hood and all over the exhaust. It's just hard to tell where it's coming from since everything is wrapped in that heat shield and the engine is an absolute mess. From the inside it sounds like it's coming from just behind the screen and slightly to the right. I figure I'll take it in but can't anytime soon due to work. I know the 2.7 has been having issues and just wanted to see if anyone else has come across this sound. I attached a video of it.

Thanks!

Hey there. I can look into your Bronco’s noise concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That’s some janky sounding shiz right there. Sounds like metal on metal in the video. Not sure it’s an exhaust leak. I’d check all the bolts on the skid plates.

WakeSS

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 AGM Bronco Badlands SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is very similar to what I am getting that I incorrectly thought was the "cam phaser" issue. This is more like what my 5.4 did at 115k when the cam button went out and it ate a cam.

Does it come and go?
One time it sounds like it threw a rod and then it's fine.
I can sort of re-create the sound at a minor level by putting in drive, press brake fully, apply throttle. Sounds like it's coming from right (passenger) head area.

Sponsored

WakeSS

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 AGM Bronco Badlands SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Adding video of recreating by power braking.

OP
OP
Kyleshemesh

Kyleshemesh

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That’s some janky sounding shiz right there. Sounds like metal on metal in the video. Not sure it’s an exhaust leak. I’d check all the bolts on the skid plates.
That's not good, all the bolts are secured. It doesn't happen until I get on the gas so it's gotta be something with the engine.

OP
OP
Kyleshemesh

Kyleshemesh

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is very similar to what I am getting that I incorrectly thought was the "cam phaser" issue. This is more like what my 5.4 did at 115k when the cam button went out and it ate a cam.

Does it come and go?
I can sort of re-create the sound at a minor level by putting in drive, press brake fully, apply throttle. Sounds like it's coming from right (passenger) head area.
It does kind of come an go. A lot more noticeable when the engine is cold. Although I've had it when it's hot too. Randomly I won't have the sound but more often than not it's there. Sounds like we might have the same issue

OP
OP
Kyleshemesh

Kyleshemesh

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Adding video of recreating by power braking.
Mine is not that loud but sounds somewhat similar.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Does it come and go?
Hi Steve. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Kyleshemesh

Kyleshemesh

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just an update for anyone that finds this thread and has the same issue. The dealership found that it was a lose shifter cable but also lose cross member bolts for the transmission. When under a certain amount of torque (when accelerating) the engine would produce enough force to rattle the bolts and that was what I was hearing. Unfortunately I bought the Bronco used with just over 7,000 miles and it appears the previous owner used an air tool to loosen the bolts for some reason. The bolts had a little bit of paint worn off them which indicated this. Unfortunately since it wasn't due to the dealership or Ford I had to pay $800 to for the labor to fix it. Just a crappy situation but totally understand why the warranty wouldn't cover it.

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Happy you got it figured out and thanks for sharing so we are now aware and know what to look out for. Cheers.

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Glad you got it resolved. It definitely had a loose bolt sound to me. I just figured skid plates since those are sometimes removed for oil changes. Hard to diagnose over the inter webs!! $800 seems excessive to tighten a few bolts though.

OP
OP
Kyleshemesh

Kyleshemesh

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Glad you got it resolved. It definitely had a loose bolt sound to me. I just figured skid plates since those are sometimes removed for oil changes. Hard to diagnose over the inter webs!! $800 seems excessive to tighten a few bolts though.
When he was telling me that it was the bolts, my first thought too was that it was from an oil change maybe. Sounds like it was farther back though, the advisor mentioned that it might have had a lift on it previously. I agree though, $800 is crazy for tightening some bolts.

John94

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a similar odd sounding metallic flutter on my Bronco. Noticed around 3,000 miles.
Dealership claimed they do not know how to fix it.

I guess I can try to identify the cross member bolts myself.. as far as the shifter cable goes, that is way beyond my skill set

Does the sound in this video seem similar>? (more obvious toward the end)

Sponsored