Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This morning I pulled my Bronco out of the driveway. I headed down the street and cruised up to the stop sign within in 200 feet from my house. Hung a left and the transmission would not shift from first to second. I had the auto stop/start disengaged. Drove about 100 yards more to another stop sign and still no shift. Pulled away from the stop sign was about to hang a u-turn and the trans shifted to second. drove it for a while and everything appeared to be normal and it has been running normal ever since. Has anyone else had this happen? It is a Badlands four door with the 2.7L
Sponsored

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
Are you sure you didn't accidentally put the transmission in manual mode?

OP
OP
Fonz54

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you sure you didn't accidentally put the transmission in manual mode?
Definitely not. That was the first thing I checked. Shifter was at D and the dash display showed D as well.

frdfan

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BB Sasquatch HPRM
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Will it up/downshift if you use the +/- on the shifter? If its like my F150, you can still use the manual mode in D.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Fonz54

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did not put n manual and try to shift it. It just shifted to 2nd onitsown.

ā€˜21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What they are getting at is if you accidentally tapped the - button even in drive it can hold the gear longer then will eventually shift.
Was it cold where you are? I havenā€™t had the issue but I also always let my cars warm up at least a few minutes. I like to see two bars on the temp gauge before I drive.

OP
OP
Fonz54

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What they are getting at is if you accidentally tapped the - button even in drive it can hold the gear longer then will eventually shift.
Was it cold where you are? I havenā€™t had the issue but I also always let my cars warm up at least a few minutes. I like to see two bars on the temp gauge before I drive.
Ah so even if you just hit the button it will go into manual? I have a Porsche Cayenne and you can do that from the steering wheel but the shifter has to be moved toward the driver.
I am going to try it tomorrow.
Thanks

Brockdog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST-Line
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have a 2.3 but I donā€™t think that matters, mine was acting as if it was in neutral when trying to take off after a red light or stop sign, wouldnā€™t go anywhere, just revved and then it would eventually go into gear. Did it like 6 times since February. Dealer did some reprogramming and it definitely feels different than it did when it was failing. Havenā€™t had an issue since.

ā€˜21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ah so even if you just hit the button it will go into manual? I have a Porsche Cayenne and you can do that from the steering wheel but the shifter has to be moved toward the driver.
I am going to try it tomorrow.
Thanks
It doesnā€™t go full manual but will let you down shift at any time you tap the - it wonā€™t let you go all the way to 10 either. I use it frequently going down steep hills in town vs riding the breaks.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Fonz54

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Good info , but I did not upshift. Had both hands in the wheel and shoe upshifted in her own.
Well, kinda. The excerpt from the manual is when in M mode. If in D you can downshift with the - button, but the transmission WILL automatically upshift when it's ready. As '21OBX stated handy for going downhill, it will automatically upshift when you start cruising again.

In M it will not upshift, but it will downshift if you slow down below the recommended speed for the gear you have selected.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I would check the transmission fluid level.

OP
OP
Fonz54

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OK I feel like the Tenderfoot Boy Scout who gets sent out to look for a Left Handed Smoke Shifter. When someone on here suggested I should check the transmission fluid level, I first looked to see where I could buy some ULV trans fluid. Went down to the local Ford dealer since the stuff is not readily available. Bought a quart for about $10. Came home parked the Bronco in the driveway. Opened the hood started the engine. Went on a snipe hunt looking for the transmission dipstick. Well golly there ain't one to be found as far as I can tell. Jokes on me. :cool:
Sponsored