Sponsored

Won’t move- stuck in 4L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco - Black Diamond SAS - CPR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Where is that? Looks like it’s on the frame? I don’t recall seeing one like that. Crazy how something so integral is just so vulnerable. Good for you though, nice getting your truck back!
It is on the passenger side outside frame rail. I didn't see it on the trail because every time I climbed under to inspect the underside I came from the drivers side. when I was cleaning it I came from the passenger side. You can see in the picture it actually pulled out of the clip it has on that side.
Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP

Fumey

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well, transfer case chewed up. Trans tech says I was driving too fast, too long on high traction surface. My fault. Not covered. $4k.
Thing is, I’ve never driven in 4L outside of that off-road park (Holly Oaks for the local readers if you’re familiar). Never driven faster than 15-20mph. Trans tech says that’s too fast. Basically gave me a lecture about not using 4L. Went in circles with Ford customer service, the rep was using scripted answers, relying on this technicians diagnosis only.

Last edited:

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well, transfer case chewed up. Trans tech says I was driving too fast, too long on high traction surface. My fault. Not covered. $4k.
Thing is, I’ve never driven in 4L outside of that off-road park (Holly Oaks for the local readers if you’re familiar). Never driven faster than 15-18mph. Trans tech says that’s too fast. Basically gave me a lecture about not using 4L. Went in circles with Ford customer service, the rep was using scripted answers, relying on this technicians diagnosis only.
This is total BS....an off-road truck should be ok off-road, duh!

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thing is, I’ve never driven in 4L outside of that off-road park (Holly Oaks for the local readers if you’re familiar). Never driven faster than 15-20mph. Trans tech says that’s too fast. Basically gave me a lecture about not using 4L. Went in circles with Ford customer service, the rep was using scripted answers, relying on this technicians diagnosis only.
Did anyone bother to look at the hardness of the gears. Bad heat treatment of the metal could have caused this. FWIW, I have done over 40mph (on grass and sand) in 4L in Baja mode.

This looks like a metallurgy failure.

If the metallurgy (and heat treatment) wasn't examined, that's the equivalent of mechanical malpractice.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Did anyone bother to look at the hardness of the gears. Bad heat treatment of the metal could have caused this. FWIW, I have done over 40mph (on grass and sand) in 4L in Baja mode.

If the metallurgy (and heat treatment) wasn't examined, that's the equivalent of mechanical malpractice.
You would expect a bunch then as this process is done in batches and not one at a time.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If this happened to me, the Bronco and Ford would be history and I'd go back to better built off road proven vehicles.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you use Slippery mode? That is not meant for on-road if you don't have the auto x-fer case. It uses 4H. At least that's what I've read on the forum here.
I can see a lot of carnage in the future with a mode named Slippery and graphics that look like rain for drivers without the auto x-fer case.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You would expect a bunch then as this process is done in batches and not one at a time.
Yes, but as the valve situation suggests, parts on the edge may or may not fail.

Most Broncos have extremely little time in 4L, if any at all, so we may not see batches for quite a while.

Also, those without the advanced 4x4 transfer case are less likely to be taken off road generally. Further making data analysis challenging for us mere peasants.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Fumey

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base

I mentioned that to the service advisor and I’ve also requested a production tech to take a look. It also probably would’ve been beneficial to see it before it was completely disassembled. Right now all the components are sitting in the case like a salad in a bowl.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Need some pictures of the rear drive shaft. Also some more underbody photos. I got a feeling you hit a drive line on something and damaged the alignment of transfer case gears. Or you ended up damaging the case while moving it since it wasn't in gear/neutral.

Welcome to the pay to play group. Car-part has a used one for $750.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Yes, but as the valve situation suggests, parts on the edge may or may not fail.

Most Broncos have extremely little time in 4L, if any at all, so we may not see batches for quite a while.

Also, those without the advanced 4x4 transfer case are less likely to be taken off road generally. Further making data analysis challenging for us mere peasants.
Agreed, but I’d still expect a few more considering at least what if seen of people taking them off road plus what I would expect as many new to the vehicle driving it in transfer case ranges not as designed. Not like the old days of having to get out to lock in the hubs.
Sponsored