First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
While descending a trail, I scraped the chassis on compacted, muddy “step”. Heard a crunch and lost all momentum. The wheels lost all movement. Group I was with pulled me out seemed to think it was more to do with electronics- it will just not disengage from 4L. If I hit 4H it’ll start the process then asks to pull slowly ahead, which I can’t do cause the truck won’t move. Tried going to 2H same thing. In neutral the wheels won’t move. Tried rocking, pushing, pulling hoping to a “clunk” into gear, but nothing. Pulled and plugged back sensor off the transfer case by that capacitor looking thing, nothing. Tried unplugging the battery hoping to reset something, nothing. 4L still illuminated in the dash. Had it hauled to the dealership, but if anyone has some suggestions, I’m going to go back tomorrow and try it again.
Sponsored

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it were actually stuck in 4 low, it should move under it's own power if that were the problem. I would venture a guess that the transfer case is possibly in neutral regardless of the electronic indicator, or there is something else going on. Tried telling it to shift into 4 low even though it indicates that it already is? Just for the sake of saying that you tried it, have you attempted to put the transfer case into neutral tow and assuming it will do that attempt to then shift into 2 high? All of this was much easier with a manual shifting transfer case...

OP
OP

Fumey

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
If it were actually stuck in 4 low, it should move under it's own power if that were the problem. I would venture a guess that the transfer case is possibly in neutral regardless of the electronic indicator, or there is something else going on. Tried telling it to shift into 4 low even though it indicates that it already is? Just for the sake of saying that you tried it, have you attempted to put the transfer case into neutral tow and assuming it will do that attempt to then shift into 2 high? All of this was much easier with a manual shifting transfer case...
Wouldn’t the wheels roll if it were stuck neutral? I did try shifting into 4L but didn’t try the neutral tow function- I will tomorrow.

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it were truly and fully in neutral and knew that it was, I would think so but I don't know that it is in any one gear and lined up properly and I don't think the Bronco does either. It's kind of a desperate attempt to get it into any transfer case gear and hopefully let it find it's bearings. Based on the sequence of events needed to put it into neutral, it's definitely overly complicated and has a lot of communication going on. Have you gotten under the vehicle to look for physical damage to front or rear drive shafts? I'm not going to lie and tell you that I believe this has a high probability of working. I think it's a bit of a long shot, but I would give it a shot if it were me purely out of curiosity and desperation. After that, it would be up to the dealer to sort out. I really hope it is something simple and quick for you. Do keep us posted as I can imagine seeing this scenario again and if it can be fixed on the trail, it would be nice to know. I also know there are some people on this forum that are a lot more versed with the workings of this transfer case than I am. I would love to see some more suggestions for you.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I assume you verified the driveshafts are connected and the axle shafts are still connected. The crunch might indicate the shift motor was damaged.
What happens when you step on the gas with the engine running? Does the transmission go into neutral and engine free run? If you put it into gear does it go under load but not move?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Fumey

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
I assume you verified the driveshafts are connected and the axle shafts are still connected. The crunch might indicate the shift motor was damaged.
What happens when you step on the gas with the engine running? Does the transmission go into neutral and engine free run? If you put it into gear does it go under load but not move?
Driveshafts and axles are connected. When giving it gas, there’s no noticeable feeling of if going under load- in fact, a few times we tried putting it in D it actually started revving itself and stopped when putting the shifter back in neutral. When putting back in P you can hear the flywheel grinding down.

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I read it correctly you had it towed and it’s at the dealership now. Have them figured it out and let us know.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I read it correctly you had it towed and it’s at the dealership now. Have them figured it out and let us know.
Hopefully they don't give the OP crap because it happened "while off roading."

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hmm, sounds like possibly a failure in the transmission or transfer case. Input shaft?

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hopefully they don't give the OP crap because it happened "while off roading."
Uhhh... This would actually be one of those cases where warranty shouldn't cover it. OP hit something, truck stopped working. Dealers are awful and will lie to get out of a warranty claim, but this clearly isn't a warranty issue.

OP- I wish you the best and hope it's a quick and inexpensive fix!

Sponsored

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What part of the chassis made contact?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Driveshafts and axles are connected. When giving it gas, there’s no noticeable feeling of if going under load- in fact, a few times we tried putting it in D it actually started revving itself and stopped when putting the shifter back in neutral. When putting back in P you can hear the flywheel grinding down.
If you get grinding while shifting into Park it sounds like the transfer case is in neutral, try the procedure to shift in and out of neutral tow.
Sponsored

Last edited: