Runningwaters

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
How long would it take for a stagnant vehicle exposed to the elements to begin showing signs of deterioration?

It’s starting to be a genuine concern that the bad batchers may sit too long. Would Ford scrap ones that just couldn’t be shipped soon enough?

Shipping the hard tops with a soft top (or bad hard top) and an IOU for a good one would prevent this. As would offering to cover the cost of painting it after delivery (which seems like something many would love).
Sponsored

OP
OP

Runningwaters

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Some cars go their entire lives without a garage. How is this different?

Serious question, not being flippant.
I’m not worried about simple exposure to the elements. My main concern is components going bad because they sit unused and exposed to the elements.

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok. Seriously, what is this "lot rot" that I only started hearing about 2 weeks ago?

I had a 2005 f150 that for 3 years lived in a barn, only doing ranch duty once every 3-4 months or so, until we sold it with zero issues. My 2012 f150 has never been inside unless a bad storm comes, then it gets moved to the barn and it has no issues. Paint is still as flawless as a 9 year old vehicle can be.

Sponsored

guerro

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
How long would it take for a stagnant vehicle exposed to the elements to begin showing signs of deterioration?

It’s starting to be a genuine concern that the bad batchers may sit too long. Would Ford scrap ones that just couldn’t be shipped soon enough?

Shipping the hard tops with a soft top (or bad hard top) and an IOU for a good one would prevent this. As would offering to cover the cost of painting it after delivery (which seems like something many would love).
As a point of reference, VW still has tens of thousands of diesel-gate cars that are slowly going to auction. Some of these cars will have sat for 2 years.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As long as rabbits don't start chewing on the soy based wiring (like they did on our fusion which cost over $2k to fix), then i think it will be ok. I really just want it under my care instead of just hanging out.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a fairly new, year old diesel pusher motorhome that cost as much as 7 Broncos. It sits parked outside at least 50% of the time and sometimes for 3 - 4 months straight and I’ve never even though about “lot rot”.

Seems like another made up 6G problem 6G for some to fret over…..

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

A genuine concern? Please explain what you think sitting out in the elements for a month or 2 will do to a brand new vehicle.

Sponsored

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I somehow missed lit rot coming up over the last few weeks thankfully. I recently read somewhere that the airlines have a bunch of planes being stored on a runway in some desert because the dry air is least harmful to the planes components.

3 months of sitting will be totally fine.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m not worried about simple exposure to the elements. My main concern is components going bad because they sit unused and exposed to the elements.
Don't they have elements in Texas? It's not uncommon for vehicles to sit on dealers lots for months before selling. Some dealers still have 20's in stock.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My last tractor sat in a fence row for 30 years. A radiator, carb rebuild, valve job, tires and new wiring (it's all exposed to the elements) and it has been running great for 5 years.

OP
OP

Runningwaters

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ok. Seriously, what is this "lot rot" that I only started hearing about 2 weeks ago?

I had a 2005 f150 that for 3 years lived in a barn, only doing ranch duty once every 3-4 months or so, until we sold it with zero issues. My 2012 f150 has never been inside unless a bad storm comes, then it gets moved to the barn and it has no issues. Paint is still as flawless as a 9 year old vehicle can be.
I’m wondering the same thing. I’ve heard the term before but don’t know exactly what it is. It’s got me concerned.

I know people fire up their cars that are stored from time to time and take them around the block to “keep it running smoothly”, but that’s about it.