Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How long would it take for a stagnant vehicle exposed to the elements to begin showing signs of deterioration?

Itā€™s starting to be a genuine concern that the bad batchers may sit too long. Would Ford scrap ones that just couldnā€™t be shipped soon enough?

Shipping the hard tops with a soft top (or bad hard top) and an IOU for a good one would prevent this. As would offering to cover the cost of painting it after delivery (which seems like something many would love).
If a vehicle is going to sit for 30 + days without being used the plant I worked at would over inflate the tires to reduced flat spotting and disconnect the battery. No other prep was required.

Bestdayever

Base
First Name
- -Soupbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor.. Boss302..Edge Sport..Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
old pic.. but imports sit for along time before shipping.
Ford Bronco Bad batch and lot rot? 1628165127454

StrictlyBroncos

Badlands
First Name
Reece
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco (Badlands)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As a point of reference, VW still has tens of thousands of diesel-gate cars that are slowly going to auction. Some of these cars will have sat for 2 years.
I actually bought one of those VWs for my son's first car. It sat for over a year on a lot. Works just fine.

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's a scare tactic.... LOL If you read the article that is circulating around, the most common complaint of lot rot is flat spotted tires and dead batteries.

Sponsored

Espy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I somehow missed lit rot coming up over the last few weeks thankfully. I recently read somewhere that the airlines have a bunch of planes being stored on a runway in some desert because the dry air is least harmful to the planes components.

3 months of sitting will be totally fine.
Yes. I worked for a private jet company about 20 years ago. While there they had me run the numbers on buying 2 G4 āœˆ that had sat in the desert for 3+ years. If those were able to fly after an inspection and some fluids a Bronco sitting in a lot for 3 months will be fine. Vehicles sit in dealer lots that long at times.

For the record, I declined being on the repositioning flight to Atlanta. šŸ˜€

Toastedtostito

Black Diamond
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think they will be fine. Maybe if they are there long enough without being shuffled, the tires might need replacing. If ford is able to make delivery of these vehicles before 2023, one winter shouldn't do any damage unless, they heavily salt the lot and shuffle the cars around they neglect to wash them when the snow melts. I dont think there is anything to worry about.

blanchardsbronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fusion
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
As long as rabbits don't start chewing on the soy based wiring (like they did on our fusion which cost over $2k to fix), then i think it will be ok. I really just want it under my care instead of just hanging out.
omg I have a fusion, had a bad mouse problem the entire life of the car!!! Is it really from soy based cable wrap??????

Bulletbill

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Iā€™ll be honest, I agree with most posters that this isnā€™t an issue until several months go by.

As a side note, prior to buying my Bronco hold over vehicle, I was looking at raptors. There was a dealer that had two used 2018s on the lot side by side. I popped the hood on one of them and a rat had nested in the engine compartment and chewed through the soft engine cover. There was an entire nest of sticks and leaves. The dealer was shocked and couldnā€™t believe the amount of damage that had been done. The other raptor sitting next to it had no signs of animals living in it and was in pristine condition. They had been on the lot for the same amount of time.

The moral of the story is some may have some issues from sitting, others may be fine. Do a good walk around of the vehicle and you should be ok.

Also, with the issues Ford has had, I would expect they are doing a conditions check prior to loading up any vehicles, if you have a good dealer, they should catch anything missed prior to you showing up.

I really donā€™t think this will be an issue for most people, and I am usually a pessimist.

Sponsored

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't mean to pile on; however, I really hope the OP wasn't genuinely asking this question... I get that not everyone is a car person but really? Lot rot? Scrap a vehicle for sitting for 2 months? It's a car, not a loaf of bread.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Half the houses in my historic town either donā€™t have a garage or have a structure too small to fit a modern vehicle. Cars sit in the driveways for their entire lives. Hell, I tore mine down as it was almost useless.

Donā€™t understand people freaking out.

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You can even buy a brand new LFA or even older, a Viper. Every once in a while, you see a new old car being sold in dealer stats. Ones they have sat on for whatever reason.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

omg I have a fusion, had a bad mouse problem the entire life of the car!!! Is it really from soy based cable wrap??????
I can't tell you 100%, but i was told that was probably the issue by several individuals. They also didn't chew as much on the older cars we had on the same driveway that supposedly doesn't have soy based wiring coatings. I did have to replace a reverse sensor on one of the other cars though. Let's just say it doesn't help. Lol.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Can a Ford get lot rot, ya, if it sits unattended for 6-12 months, but getting it back running right doesn't take too much. I was away in Japan for 2 years and eventually came back to a dead battery and a transmission that didn't want to shift (mostly because the transmission in that truck has some problems if allowed to just sit without exercise - sticky transmission solenoids). It took a day or two to get it to stop sticking... all good after that.
Sponsored