First Name
TL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, F150, F250, Miata
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I bought a HF winch a couple years back. Used a couple of times, no issues. Getting ready to relocate it to my equipment trailer cause if it fails, it won't be critical. Buying a new Sherpa for the Bronco, cause I can't tolerate a failure in this application. Guess I'm buying peace of mind.
Sponsored

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had one on my YJ. I never used it before I sold the Jeep with it on it. They seem like a good unit. I’d say go with the Apex series as they come with a synthetic rope and wireless controller.

There are a lot of people that run the steel cable ones with no issue. I think most of the issues are going to come from the “buy American” crowd or the people that look down their nose because it doesn’t say “Warn” on the winch.

OP
OP
Tonka Bronka

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bought a HF winch a couple years back. Used a couple of times, no issues. Getting ready to relocate it to my equipment trailer cause if it fails, it won't be critical. Buying a new Sherpa for the Bronco, cause I can't tolerate a failure in this application. Guess I'm buying peace of mind.
I just checked them out. They have a mustang, colt, and steed. They definitely need a Bronco!

Sponsored

onetong8r

Base
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, VW Beetle, Jeep TJ, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm late to the show but I've used HF winches on two past Jeeps. On my JK I replaced the cable with synthetic rope. I probably used it 20X or so to pull myself out of the mud or help get someone else out. I never had an issue with either one and would definitely buy one again.

OP
OP
Tonka Bronka

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm late to the show but I've used HF winches on two past Jeeps. On my JK I replaced the cable with synthetic rope. I probably used it 20X or so to pull myself out of the mud or help get someone else out. I never had an issue with either one and would definitely buy one again.
Thanks for your input!

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well I have owned 3 of the regular badlands 12000lb units over the last 12 years. My current one is 3.5 years old and going strong, however I did replace the $45 solenoid. But mine sat fully exposed for 3 years in the tropics. So corrosion happens fast out here. The other 2 I had were sold on vehicles to sweeten the deal. The only other failure I have had with them is one had the cable pile up while my spotter wasnt watching as I pulled a suburban out of a slop pit from the opposite end of the truck since he had no recovery points on the rear. Turned him in a 180 then puled him out. All with a cj7 butted against a tree. So the cable piled on one side of the spool and broke one of the ears holing the cross bars. I did some fabricating with old fence parts and put it back together. Worked fine for another year till I sold the jeep.

As for the new apex ones they do address quirks with the $300 model on it so I think it should be a good deal to have that warn look, coupled with smittybuilt range quality. They arent fast but they pull.

Last edited:

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll be getting one of the Apex models, just watched some videos yesterday, once guy had it on his jeep for a year and pulled himself up things that looked like waterfalls, not anything near what I'd ever consider a 'trail' and it worked flawless. So powerful that it bent his mounting plate and that cracked the housing of the electronics on top, so he took the whole thing apart to fix it, everything looked very well made and tough.

I will NEVER be driving up anything like what that guy did, so I'll be fine for ever. Plus while dorky, a badland on a badlans is just a bit of added silly fun IMO.

I also like the wireless controller and everything you get in the box seemed of great quality. Don't care where it's made as long as it's good if the price difference is this big. It's capitalism at work and my wallet is not fat enough to fight global economies.

Current plan is to have it hitch mounted and get a hitch receiver in the front, but I won't be needing it for a while. If I get my Bronco in late summer my chance of taking it on tougher trails in Moab etc will be gone as the kids will be back in school.

Most of the youtubers I've seen got their's for free with no strings attached. Here it is, play with it, say what you want about it, seems HF stands behind the quality of this thing.

This is the video I watched, just something random that showed up on YT for me:

OP
OP
Tonka Bronka

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll be getting one of the Apex models, just watched some videos yesterday, once guy had it on his jeep for a year and pulled himself up things that looked like waterfalls, not anything near what I'd ever consider a 'trail' and it worked flawless. So powerful that it bent his mounting plate and that cracked the housing of the electronics on top, so he took the whole thing apart to fix it, everything looked very well made and tough.

I will NEVER be driving up anything like what that guy did, so I'll be fine for ever. Plus while dorky, a badland on a badlans is just a bit of added silly fun IMO.

I also like the wireless controller and everything you get in the box seemed of great quality. Don't care where it's made as long as it's good if the price difference is this big. It's capitalism at work and my wallet is not fat enough to fight global economies.

Current plan is to have it hitch mounted and get a hitch receiver in the front, but I won't be needing it for a while. If I get my Bronco in late summer my chance of taking it on tougher trails in Moab etc will be gone as the kids will be back in school.

Most of the youtubers I've seen got their's for free with no strings attached. Here it is, play with it, say what you want about it, seems HF stands behind the quality of this thing.

This is the video I watched, just something random that showed up on YT for me:

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I know this is an old thread, but I figured better than starting a new one.

Anyone have an issue where OUT doesn’t work wirelessly? I assume perhaps it’s the 2032 batteries in the remote that may need replacing - but, why only OUT?

Thankfully I keep the wire coiled up and tucked away under the hood. Had some tree work to take care of.

Ford Bronco Badland winch from Harbor Freight BEA262D9-5446-4E3D-A62E-B96415432054

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ll have to watch more video. I know it’s stupid but it would be cool to have a Badland branded winch on a Badlands Bronco.
Watch a few episodes of Matt's Off-Road Recovery, they seem to put them through the wringer.
Sponsored