DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like a blast! Could you guys camp out there? I'm taking a road trip to Colorado from CA in a few weeks.
Yea there are tons of dispersed camping areas out there.
Sponsored

8cam

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd love to hear more about your flat tow setup. This is one of the reasons I wanted the Bronco - we are planning on that, and your solution with this bumper looks really clean. Have you done a writeup on the whole flat tow experience yet? When we were towing, we used a Blue Ox towbar with an AirForce One braking setup. We had a charge line running from the coach to the car, and some nicely integrated brake lights in the car. How have you set up the Bronco?

OP
OP
DREWR13

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd love to hear more about your flat tow setup. This is one of the reasons I wanted the Bronco - we are planning on that, and your solution with this bumper looks really clean. Have you done a writeup on the whole flat tow experience yet? When we were towing, we used a Blue Ox towbar with an AirForce One braking setup. We had a charge line running from the coach to the car, and some nicely integrated brake lights in the car. How have you set up the Bronco?
Might have replied to the wrong thread, but I have never flat towed my Bronco. Just drove it to CO like a crazy person.

brianbrn

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

First video is up.
Awesome. I was up there a couple weeks ago and was told black bear pass was closed. I didn't question it and didn't make the attempt to go. I'm disappointed now.

OP
OP
DREWR13

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome. I was up there a couple weeks ago and was told black bear pass was closed. I didn't question it and didn't make the attempt to go. I'm disappointed now.
I believe it opened up a few days before I got there. Sometime around July 6th I think.

Sponsored

brianbrn

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

that figures. that's the week I was up there. moab was close so we make the drive over there instead.
I believe it opened up a few days before I got there. Sometime around July 6th I think.

8cam

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Might have replied to the wrong thread, but I have never flat towed my Bronco. Just drove it to CO like a crazy person.
Damn, I did reply to the wrong thread, sorry! And I've made that drive to CO many times, totally worth it. FWIW I usually take 40 across. I've done 70 and the run through Kansas sucks.

OP
OP
DREWR13

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Damn, I did reply to the wrong thread, sorry! And I've made that drive to CO many times, totally worth it. FWIW I usually take 40 across. I've done 70 and the run through Kansas sucks.
I took 40 there and 70 back. Will not be going through Kansas again lol it was terrible.

OP
OP
DREWR13

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Added longer Poughkeepsie Gulch video to second post.

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I took 40 there and 70 back. Will not be going through Kansas again lol it was terrible.
70 in KS was worse than 40 through Oklahoma? Damn....

Great trip, pics and video thanks for sharing!

Sponsored

Murfman

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WildTrak, Cyber Orange soft top
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Very nice pix. I ran BB and Imogene and Engineer Passes in Sept 98, when I first moved to Colorado. Jeep YJ, carburated. Need to get back to the San Juans with Nugget soon!

BadlandsJ

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Non-SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Back in 2020 I went out to Colorado and drove Boreas Pass and Weston Pass. I've also done a bit of mountain driving in Montana.

One thing I still can't understand is how in the hell do you pass or handle vehicle traffic coming from the other direction on a trail like shown in this photo above? Luckily, I didn't hit much traffic coming the other way, but some places I could have been totally screwed, like AT LEAST a half mile with nowhere to pass.

This is beautiful by the way, and makes me hate living in Florida!

OP
OP
DREWR13

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Back in 2020 I went out to Colorado and drove Boreas Pass and Weston Pass. I've also done a bit of mountain driving in Montana.

One thing I still can't understand is how in the hell do you pass or handle vehicle traffic coming from the other direction on a trail like shown in this photo above? Luckily, I didn't hit much traffic coming the other way, but some places I could have been totally screwed, like AT LEAST a half mile with nowhere to pass.

This is beautiful by the way, and makes me hate living in Florida!
Black Bear Pass is one-way in those really tight sections so you don't have to worry about traffic coming up thankfully. I hit some traffic on Ophir and California pass summits and it was definitely interesting. Luckily we had semi close pullouts to use.

brian626

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche Boxster S, 2022 Audi Q3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Wow! Looks amazing. I would love to do that trip! Do you think a Non-Sasquatch Bronco could complete this trip?

OP
OP
DREWR13

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow! Looks amazing. I would love to do that trip! Do you think a Non-Sasquatch Bronco could complete this trip?
I think so. I've seen videos of a stock OBX non sasquatch going down black bear pass. Poughkeepsie gulch might be a little much for one but the all the other trails in the area should be fine.
Sponsored