First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I thought I read that Baja mode locks the rear diff as well. Can anyone confirm? And I think that is exactly what Baja mode is for, cruising through sand dunes. I think I would get more out of that then Rock crawl mode if I lived in Cali.
I'm no expert, but it doesn't make sense to me that Baja mode would lock the rear. Baja is for going fast and if you're cruising it seems a locked rear wouldn't be needed and/or actually impair performance. Also, if you get good traction along the way, it would put added stress and cause slipping.
Sponsored

lsustang05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Raptor SuperCab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes. This is now the question I have. Can you switch drives to simulate other GOAT modes? Like you stated above, can you switch drives and maintain the other GOAT parameters? For example, assuming the chart listed above is correct, can you engage Sport mode then switch to 4H, keeping the other Sport mode parameters, to simulate Baja mode? Or vise versa, Baja to Sport?
I donā€™t think anybody knows for sure just yet and we are all making assumptions based off of the only other vehicle with drive modes - the Raptor. In the Raptor, you can switch to Sport and engage 4WD or switch to Baja and then disengage 4WD and put it back in 2WD.

Edit: Going Sport to Baja can probably be done with extra button presses, for the most part. Going Baja to Sport probably not due to how the computer will most likely deal with the braking (ABS) system and the shifting/throttle behavior.

I'm no expert, but it doesn't make sense to me that Baja mode would lock the rear. Baja is for going fast and if you're cruising it seems a locked rear wouldn't be needed and/or actually impair performance. Also, if you get good traction along the way, it would put added stress and cause slipping.
Every Trophy Truck out there would like a word.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you think I can have Sports mode added to my Bronco Badlands via the aftermarket if I can't add it from Ford?
I've read it's possible to unlock modes on Fords. I've also read there is a maximum of 7 modes. Maybe it's possible to disable an existing mode, like eco, and enable sport in its place.
I haven't done any research on this, as I want the disconnecting sway bar so Badlands is the only trim for me.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I saw this in another post:
1596154928619.jpeg
The bottom chart doesn't make sense to me. It implies I cannot be in 4H without the front and rear differentials locked unless I have Baja mode. At a minimum, the chart is incomplete because some models have no locking diffs in the front or rear, but I assume you can still use 4H. I personally find all these modes a bit gimmicky. As long as I can engage 4H & 4L when I want and engage the lockers when I want, then I'm happy. Don't need throttle or steering assistance.

Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I donā€™t have a Gen 2 Raptor, but if itā€™s anything like Off-Road Mode in the Gen 1, and from what Iā€™ve read, it is, the problem is it keeps the RPMā€™s at basically redline for as long as possible. Let off the gas? Keeps the transmission in gear for an extended period of time. It is assuming you are off-road and using the engine to brake in slippery / not-concrete conditions. It also severely limits your traction control and crash avoidance systems. It also changes how ABS works (read: turns it off) because ABS off-road is actually worse than locking up the tires. Locking the tires up allows the tires to build up a berm in front of them actually slowing you down a bit more. Not having ABS on the street isnā€™t the best idea. And always rumored but never proven - it may also desensitize the airbags so big bangs off-road donā€™t just fire off an airbag in your face.

At least on the Raptor, you can then over-ride the truck to go back into 2WD. It defaults to 4WD but you can then put it in 2WD if you want. Same with the locking diff - you can enable or disable if you want.
Turning off ABS is a good point to make. It's been a long time since ABS was made standard and not many of us are used to driving without that safety feature.

My G turns off ABS when you lock any of the differentials.

Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The bottom chart doesn't make sense to me. It implies I cannot be in 4H without the front and rear differentials locked unless I have Baja mode. At a minimum, the chart is incomplete because some models have no locking diffs in the front or rear, but I assume you can still use 4H. I personally find all these modes a bit gimmicky. As long as I can engage 4H & 4L when I want and engage the lockers when I want, then I'm happy. Don't need throttle or steering assistance.

Can anyone enlighten me on this?
Think of it as a quick macro to change multiple settings all at once. You should be able to stay in standard mode, then switch to 4L, then lock the rear, etc.
Some settings you might not be able to change without changing GOAT mode. e.g., there might not be a way to switch transmission tuning in the settings, but most likely sport mode will shift later, at a higher rpm, and stay there vs eco which would shift early to maximize fuel economy.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most of what we know about the specifics with the modes is actually just guesses - including that chart.

I do recall seeing something from one of the recent events that a Ford rep stated one of the things Baja does is allow for a little more slippage in sand at high speeds.

I'm beginning to think they're won't be any other mode that gets you closer to Sport than Normal for pavement. Would be nice to have Sport on the Badlands though.

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is one of the Treads I read. (To be clear I don't have a raptor just read up on it)

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/baja-mode-can-you-use-it-on-the-freeway.58666/
I'm on page 3. This is so hard to read, they sound like 12 year old's.
This is why I haven't been on auto forums for the past 20 years...

edit:
Ok, I pushed through and finished the thread. Unless I missed something, don't use Baja mode on the pavement because you'll crash and use more fuel. It's not worth it to save .7 seconds on your commute to starbucks...

I appreciate Bradley sharing info, this is not an attack against you. If Bronco6G turns out like that Raptor thread, I won't be sticking around after I put my order in.

Last edited:

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's a pretty good primer on the Raptor modes. It says Baja switches the t-case to 4H, which can then be overridden to 2H. 4H locks the center diff, so not good for high traction surfaces.
I'll be playing with Baja mode on the street if I can override diff locks. It sounds like track mode in sports cars, tuned for dirt.
I'm getting the long wheel base 4 door. In a SWB 2 door, Baja mode on pavement might be a bit too much in a softly sprung off roader.

https://jalopnik.com/what-2017-ford-raptors-off-road-modes-really-do-an-exp-1789712036

Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry for spamming this thread, but I'm looking a bit more into the Raptor modes. I have no idea how similar the Bronco modes will be, but Ford is a huge company that likes to share technology across all it's vehicles...

Here is a supplement to the owners manual of a 2020 Raptor explaining a bit about the drive modes. One thing I don't like about this, is not all settings are available in particular drive modes. e.g., 4A is not available in Baja mode. I wish there were some empty slots to make your own modes...

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...d=7029&vFilteringEnabled=False&userMarket=USA

Markubis

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus, Ford Ranger XLT, Can Am Ryker
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
One of the videos I watched showed someone explaining the difference between Baja mode and one of the others.
She explained Baja mode as having more slippage when starting out to allow the tires to grab the sand better instead of just spinning down. So it gives a gradual acceleration in sand.
Not something I would want to use on pavement or in a daily driver mode.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I saw this in another post:
1596154928619.jpeg
Exhaust is "closed" on the Normal mode according to this chart....does that stay closed even if you floor it and run the RPMs up high? It would seem weird that there is no ability to run a Badlands with the exhaust open on the street (2H).

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

once again, that chart is pure guess and speculation (see the first post in that thread)

ASlaugh

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It would be nice if a current Bronco owner could test out some of these theories and get back to us. I guess that they have better things to do than be on this blog; since they already have their freaking Broncos!

11/22 build scheduled and the wait is killing me!

A51/BADLANDS/SAS/HIGH/TOW/ST/4DR
Sponsored