Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco HOSS 3.0 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hello Bronco6g folks,

I am a novice off roader, but I've always been more interested in a bit of speed over rock crawling, etc.

Anyway, TLDR is I almost sent my under 10k miles Wildtrak into a tree from completely spinning out a turn at about 35 mph.

The longer full story is that I often go down to the forgotten coast of the Florida panhandle which has lots of really cool forest roads, such as Tates Hell, etc. I was on a dirt road in Panacea called Skipper Bay road that goes all the way to the bay and has a beautiful turnaround at the end where you can see Oyster leases, etc.

I put it in Baja mode and was going pretty damn fast on semi-firm sand/dirt. I was having a blast when I was taking a corner and all of a sudden I'm fishtailing and had lost most control. I did know enough to not slam on the brakes, but I almost went into a tree. It is a one way trail and pretty narrow. I'm sure that I made a bunch of mistakes but I've learned a lot here and wondering what a reasonable speed would be on a road like this. Further down the road there was a bunch of ruts and some mud holes which when a slow pace, the Bronco handled wonderfully. I have HOSS 3.0 and the suspension really is awesome on this thing. I now see that when in Baja mode, traction control is set to off. What this the main issue? Looking forward to learning more from y'all and feel free to flame away. I'm not sensitive LOL

Ford Bronco First experience with Baja mode IMG_0282
Sponsored

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Baja really reels the boost curve in earlier. The more sensitive throttle map makes it easier to tip into boost. With traction off, you can spin the wheels. Stabilitrac is still present, perhaps with a different threshold. The steering rack changes rate/weight.

All of these align and you are overcoming the amount of physical traction you have at that moment. A shake of the wheel for the flick of the tail.

The computers always seem to be playing catch-up with multiple inputs and movements happening simultaneously… at least in my opinion.

Baja lets you get squirrely. Use it wisely.

I prefer spirited gravel driving in Normal Mode and traction off. The more muted inputs and sensible stability logic make it fun without big risk

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It is a one way trail and pretty narrow. I'm sure that I made a bunch of mistakes but I've learned a lot here and wondering what a reasonable speed would be on a road like this.
The one way trail "hopefully" keeps someone from coming from the other direction, but you never know what's around a corner, broken down wheeler, rock or fallen tree, animal so try not to out drive your reaction and breaking distance (sight) and you should still be able to gas it where you have good sight and have fun.

I did know enough to not slam on the brakes,
Good job and try to remember to finish all your breaking before turns, especially ones you can't see around.

Play with trail breaking and breaking into and how much breaking you can do (lightly) through a turn and throttle steer in an open area with no trees to hit and get familiar with your truck with no obstacles. Think autocross course on payment with only cones to kill, but on the dirt with no cones. Then add ruts and uneven ground, washboard and etc. as you get a feel for your truck.

Solfive

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is that a new GOAT mode?

BTW, good advice given above.

OP
OP
Big Diamond

Big Diamond

Wildtrak
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@Boreal and @Arrowbear Rider
Thank you for taking the time for such detailed responses. Very helpful. The willingness to help new Bronco owners actually want to use their trucks off road is one of the many reasons I love this place.

Sponsored

Baja Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My question to you, we’re you aired down? Doesn’t look like it in your pic. Even just an off road road, I would recommend airing down. Hopefully you have a Power Tank or similar set up to air back up when you’re done.

bluesun68

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
raptor, velar, f-type
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You can lose traction on any road, and if you get it back when you are sideways you are in trouble. Also hard to steer if you are airborne. The problem with modern vehicles is that they go so fast so easily that when you lose it you will be lucky to escape without damage. Best thing you can do is go back to that spot, over and over, and figure out where the limit is and where you are over it. But the next road will be different...

BroncoTrail

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyway, TLDR is I almost sent my under 10k miles Wildtrak into a tree from completely spinning out a turn at about 35 mph.
Did you manually disable AdvanceTrac by any chance?
You were in 4WD-Hi right?

OP
OP
Big Diamond

Big Diamond

Wildtrak
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My question to you, we’re you aired down? Doesn’t look like it in your pic. Even just an off road road, I would recommend airing down. Hopefully you have a Power Tank or similar set up to air back up when you’re done.
I wasn't. The trail is only about 2-3 miles. Quick trip that could have gone wrong. I do have the ARB single compressor that's offered as a Ford accessory, but haven't used it yet.

OP
OP
Big Diamond

Big Diamond

Wildtrak
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Did you manually disable AdvanceTrac by any chance?
You were in 4WD-Hi right?
I didn't manually disable AdvancTrac, and yes, I was in 4-Hi.

Sponsored

frontrow

Wildtrak
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I wasn't. The trail is only about 2-3 miles. Quick trip that could have gone wrong. I do have the ARB single compressor that's offered as a Ford accessory, but haven't used it yet.
I can't find that ARB compressor anywhere. Is it on Ford site as an accessory?

OP
OP
Big Diamond

Big Diamond

Wildtrak
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

vmals

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The main issue is you dont know how to manage oversteer. A narrow trail with trees on both sides is not the place to learn as you almost found out why.

Up north I hit the roads during a snow storm(when we used to get them at least) and just slide around turns, hit up empty parking lots etc. Really teaches you vehicle control and how to recover. Maybe find some mudflats down by you and drift around to get a feel of how to control the car when the rear slides out. Its also really, really fun.

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

"We" Use to do the empty parking lot in the snow too, fun as f... Really got the feel for e-brake turns (Jetta) and as stupid as it was to do, "We" were able to do e-brake turns all thru that ski town; with the back seat passengers from out of town, laughing their asses off the whole way thru town.

Practice does make perfect. "We" didn't hit anything.

I of course, wouldn't do anything like that in a town any more, but in the dirt, or off road, parking lot etc. Hell ya!

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

High speed off-roading takes skill. Counter steering, throttle control, and weight transfer are key areas to master. If the road is 2-3 miles long, pre-run it and a slow pace to learn where the potential hazards are at and to learn the "course". Run it several times and gradually increase your speed. One of the key features of Baja Mode is that it keeps the turbo's spooled. That mean that maximum power is readily available with the slightest press of the accelerator pedal.
Sponsored