Sponsored

BAMF Overland Bumper Takes a Lick in Moab! And...

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Let me begin by stating that I have no affiliation with BAMF other than I paid full price for their bumper. I say that because I have a glowing review of their product and I want people to understand that this is as real as a product review can get these days.

I took my time ordering a winch bumper, unhappy with everything that was being made. I didn't want my front camera blocked, my approach angle decimated, nor my intercooler airflow blocked. I thought I had one picked out that was made by DV8, but in my due diligence found out all DV8 is made in China. Deal breaker. There are too many highly skilled metal fab guys here in the states to be sending money to China, but that is just my opinion.

Then, on this glorious forum, I stumble across Bay Area Metal Fab, and their bumpers for the Bronco. It checked all the boxes. The lead time was long, but I reached out and told them I had an offroading trip planned in June, and Jerry (BAMF owner) said he'd get it to me in time.

Fast Forward to the week I am leaving for Moab. The bumper arrives on Monday, but parts are missing (assuming the LTL carrier lost). I reach out to Jerry and he overnights me the missing pieces, knowing my trip is at risk. I get everything buttoned up and installed around midnight the night before I leave for Moab. Got it done 😎

Now. On to the climax of this story that I know you're waiting for. Everything is going great on our trip. We've been on a couple of awesome trails, including taking on Top of the World! Along the way, my wife (lovingly referred to as L-Bow in our circles) got some time behind the wheel offroad and I witnessed her final morph and transition into an offroader as she tried out "Donut Mode" on the soft sands of Hoorah Pass...

After this, she requested that we extend our trip one more day so that she can take on a full trail by herself. She chose, Fins N Things.

I was so incredibly proud of how well she did offroading! I was able to spot for her and she traversed all of the obstacles with minimal issues! And she was LOVING IT!! And then, we get to this one particular obstacle that I underestimated. The first significant obstacle that I decided not to get out and spot. I talked her through the steep downhill obstacle from the passenger seat. She started sliding and so I told her to let off the brake since we were in 4L 1st gear. What I neglected to see, was the 2 1/2 foot sheer drop off at the end on this descent. So what happened? (Language warning) ...

The video doesn't do the blow to the front end justice. It was a full on collision! Everything got thrown about, including the secured items, when we took that front end blow! The grille even popped off the front and the swing gate strut came disconnected. But when I got out to survey the damage, I found only some bare metal on the BAMF bumper and my receiver hitch!

Literally nothing else! This thing took an absolute BLAST to the front end, and you can see from the pics all I need to do is just Krylon some bare metal!

20220627_174132.jpg

If you're looking for a bumper that won't block your camera, won't blow your intercooler airflow, won't kill your departure angle, and will take an absolute BEATING... look no further than BAMF. This bumper is perfect. I love it, and it paid for itself on my very first trip, because if I hadn't had this bumper when The Lick happened, it would still be in the body shop at this very moment.

Much love Jerry! Way to make a bumper my man!! Thanks for the quality product and the world class customer service!

20220629_115011.jpg

Resized_20220629_142143.jpeg

20220628_115932.jpg

20220628_102310.jpg

20220628_095658.jpg

20220627_165754.jpg

20220801_195833.jpg

20220801_200057.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for the review. I'm going to be in the market very soon and am have a hard time filtering down front winch bumpers as well. You boxes and mine are very similar!

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Her reaction was pricless....Can I go look at it.?? LOL. Good stuff and thanks for the review

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Um, how does that bumper not block air flow to the intercooler? Looks like it does to me? 🤔

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Literally nothing else! This thing took an absolute BLAST to the front end, and you can see from the pics all I need to do is just Krylon some bare metal!
Even better than that, order the repair kit for the coating from Jerry and melt it back together. You dont need the Krylon and it will be good as new. Try that with a DV8 bumper, lol.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Um, how does that bumper not block air flow to the intercooler? Looks like it does to me? 🤔
It's difficult to capture on camera, but essentially the air can get to the fins through the top of the winch with the solenoid relocated under the hood.

Also, in order to install this bumper I had to remove a giant plastic plate that was blocking the intercooler as well.

I drove this thing for days in Moab heat that reached 113⁰ and never even remotely felt impeded.

20220802_160816.jpg

20220802_160755.jpg

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Even better than that, order the repair kit for the coating from Jerry and melt it back together. You dont need the Krylon and it will be good as new. Try that with a DV8 bumper, lol.
You, sir, just won the "Big Helper" award for giving me an awesome tip! Thanks! I'll email Jerry now!

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the review. I'm going to be in the market very soon and am have a hard time filtering down front winch bumpers as well. You boxes and mine are very similar!
I honestly couldn't be happier with it! I will say, getting it installed was a MFer as I didn't have instructions lol! Had to pull it off 3 times because I unknowingly did something out of order. And I'm going to have to pull it off one more time to install the parking sensors. That kinda sucks, but I love working on this thing so at least there is that 😆

If you get one and have any install questions I'd be happy to help.
Sponsored